|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cheri buy to take the edge off his boredom?
(a) A car.
(b) A winery.
(c) A race horse.
(d) A cigar store.
2. Why does Edmee spend so much time at the hospital?
(a) She is a nurse.
(b) She is a patient.
(c) She is a doctor.
(d) She volunteers her time.
3. Which of the following does NOT describe Cheri in the post-war days?
4. Why does Cheri tell Lea he must leave?
(a) To see a dentist.
(b) To buy her some pearls.
(c) To return to Edmee.
(d) To keep a business appointment.
5. What is the literary technique in which Lea's actions do not support her statements about her advancing age?
6. Why does Edmee silently hate Cheri?
(a) For not making more money.
(b) For criticizing her charity work.
(c) For being rude to her mother.
(d) For not loving her.
7. How does Cheri know that Edmee is going to bed?
(a) He watches the lights in the house go out.
(b) She is yawning uncontrollably.
(c) She is putting on night cream.
(d) She is having chamomile tea.
8. How can Edmee's demeanor best be characterized now?
9. Why does Desmond not have time to spend with Cheri anymore?
(a) He has a wife and family now.
(b) He has to look for a job.
(c) His girlfriend does not permit it.
(d) His business takes all his time.
10. Lea thinks that ____________ should sort out a divorce between Cheri and Edmee.
(a) Madame Peloux.
11. What is the literary technique the author uses to show that Madame Peloux needs maternal affection not from her but from Lea?
12. What does Lea rationalize is over for her?
(a) The days of attracting younger men.
(b) The days of eating spicy food.
(c) The days of drinking champagne.
(d) The days of hosting big parties.
13. Which of the following has NOT abandoned Cheri emotionally?
(b) The Pal.
(d) Madame Peloux.
14. Aside from Lea's appearance, what makes Cheri sink into an even deeper depression about her?
(a) She is ill and can't manage on her own any longer.
(b) She must have had many lovers since he was with her.
(c) She has lost all her money.
(d) She has lost her house in a fire.
15. Who does Madame Peloux make an appointment to see?
(a) Dr. Arnaud.
(c) Madame Lili.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how many years have Cheri and Edmee been married at this point?
2. What makes Lea think that Cheri may be reconsidering his decision to leave?
3. What does Madame Peloux tell Lea about Cheri?
4. Why has Cheri returned to Lea's home?
5. What has Lea been formulating while Cheri slept?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)