|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Dad behave on the boat?
2. What method did Dad use to reinforce the importance of social poise?
3. What is the title of Chapter 13, "Have You Seen the Latest Model?" referring to?
4. Where was the last Gilbreth child born?
5. When Tom gave tours of the Gilbreth house while they were away, how did Mother and Dad each respond?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Dad reinforce the importance of good table manners?
2. How did the boat bring out Dad's sense of imaginative play?
3. When the children arrived at Mother's relatives' home, how did they behave initially?
4. Describe the incident when Dad fell overboard the boat.
5. What happened to Martha's canaries when they were traveling to Nantucket, Massachusetts?
6. What did the children begin to associate with Mother being pregnant?
7. When the children needed to have their tonsils removed, whose tonsils were removed, even though they didn't need to be?
8. At what point in their relationship did Mother and Dad agree they would like a large family with twelve children?
9. Why did Dad purchase a boat, and what was the name of the boat?
10. What event prompted the children to loosen up and behave as they normally would?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing was used twice in the book to express Dad's anxieties about dying at a young age. Cite two specific examples of this from the book and how the examples foreshadowed Dad's actual death at age 55.
Essay Topic 2
The authors of "Cheaper by the Dozen" developed many of the chapter titles using metaphors. Identify a minimum of three examples of this. Explain the metaphor between the chapter title and the content of the chapter.
Essay Topic 3
Mother and Dad ran the household like a business and diligently worked to instill a strong work ethic into the children. Discuss what it means to have a strong work ethic. Cite three examples of Mother and Dad striving to instill this trait into the children.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)