|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Dad make the children swim every day?
2. What is the title of Chapter 13, "Have You Seen the Latest Model?" referring to?
3. Which of Mother's plans was disrupted?
4. When did Mother become pregnant with their first child?
5. What happened to Martha's two canaries during their summer travel?
Short Essay Questions
1. When a psychologist came to visit, why did the children retaliate against her?
2. When the children arrived at Mother's relatives' home, how did they behave initially?
3. When Mother traveled alone with the children to visit her relatives in California, what challenges did she face?
4. Where did Mother and Dad first meet, and how did he try to impress her?
5. While the family was on summer vacation, what educational strategies did Dad employ?
6. How did the children get along with Mother's relatives in California?
7. How did Dad reinforce the importance of good table manners?
8. What didn't Dad believe in, which he told the children they weren't allowed to do?
9. What did Dad attempt to do each year on their summer vacation, which caused tension between him and Mother?
10. What was it about Dad's passion for photography which bothered the children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Mother was generally reserved and quiet, throughout the book the authors made a point of sharing anecdotes which presented Mother's sense of humor and appreciation for a good joke. Identify three examples of this from the book, and discuss how this trait blends well with Mother's personality.
Essay Topic 2
While Mother came from a well-to-do, reserved family, the book shares how they were very accepting of Dad's boisterous personality and the lively Gilbreth clan. Discuss the irony of Mother's family's background with their acceptance of the Gilbreth family. Cite three examples of their love and acceptance.
Essay Topic 3
Identify three themes of the book "Cheaper by the Dozen." Which theme was the strongest focus of the book? Cite five examples of this theme being used as a focus of the book.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)