|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Gilbreth children visit Mother's relatives, how did they behave at first?
2. When Mother was sick with a cold, what did the children assume about her?
3. When the children got sick, what did Mother do?
4. When Mother and Dad returned home, what did Aunt Anne tell them about her visit with the children?
5. When did Mother become pregnant with their first child?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what condition were the children when Uncle Fred surprised them on the train, and how did he respond?
2. What didn't Dad believe in, which he told the children they weren't allowed to do?
3. What did the children begin to associate with Mother being pregnant?
4. How did the children get along with Mother's relatives in California?
5. What event prompted the children to loosen up and behave as they normally would?
6. How many of the children were born at home, and what was Mother's only concern about delivering them at home?
7. Why did Dad purchase a boat, and what was the name of the boat?
8. What happened to Martha's canaries when they were traveling to Nantucket, Massachusetts?
9. Why did Dad have the children collect wooden pencils?
10. At what point in their relationship did Mother and Dad agree they would like a large family with twelve children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the symbolism which was evident when the car wouldn't start on Anne's first date. Describe Dad's emotions about the event.
Essay Topic 2
The authors of "Cheaper by the Dozen" chose to use anecdotes to get their points across. Define an anecdote and discuss the impact of this writing style on the book. Was it an effective style of writing for this book? How do you think this writing style may have impacted the popularity of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Although Mother was generally reserved and quiet, throughout the book the authors made a point of sharing anecdotes which presented Mother's sense of humor and appreciation for a good joke. Identify three examples of this from the book, and discuss how this trait blends well with Mother's personality.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)