|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the children do before they left the area where they ate lunch?
2. Whom did the townspeople play a joke on?
3. What was the family's code name for going to the bathroom in the woods instead of using a public restroom?
4. In Chapter 3, what did the children have to do before their big family outing in the Pierce Arrow?
5. How did Lillian Gilbreth often begin her platform appearances?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mother and Dad each strive to educate the children while they ate lunch on their road trips?
2. By what method did Mother and Dad choose to run the household?
3. How did dad surprise the family with their first car?
4. How did Dad often surprise the family?
5. Describe Frank Gilbreth, Sr.
6. In what ways did Dad demonstrate his interest in organization and time-management at home?
7. What did Dad have a reputation for doing on family road trips, and how did Mother prepare for it?
8. What happened when Dad attempted to build a cement bird bath, and how did he feel about it?
9. When the family went out for an excursion in their car, how did the children have to prepare?
10. When the Gilbreth's went out in their car, how did Dad handle the attention they received from onlookers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the symbolism which was evident when the car wouldn't start on Anne's first date. Describe Dad's emotions about the event.
Essay Topic 2
The authors of "Cheaper by the Dozen" developed many of the chapter titles using metaphors. Identify a minimum of three examples of this. Explain the metaphor between the chapter title and the content of the chapter.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, Dad displayed a unique balance between his sense of humor and love for practical jokes and his leadership as a strict taskmaster. Discuss Dad's personality and how it influenced his family.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)