|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Dad was a strict taskmaster, this was tempered by __________.
2. Although Mother and Dad were a great team as parents, in what area did they disagree?
3. Why is Chapter 5 entitled "Mister Chairman"?
4. When people questioned why the car was so crowded with children, how did Dad respond?
5. The children joined together to vote for __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. When the Gilbreth's went out in their car, how did Dad handle the attention they received from onlookers?
2. By what method did Mother and Dad choose to run the household?
3. When a woman mistakenly thought the family was a group of orphans, how did Dad respond?
4. What happened when Dad attempted to build a cement bird bath, and how did he feel about it?
5. In what ways did Dad demonstrate his interest in organization and time-management at home?
6. How did Mother respond when a women mistakenly though the family was a group of orphans, and Dad played along?
7. Whenever Mother asserted herself, how did Dad usually respond?
8. How did Mother and Dad each feel about religious training for the children?
9. How did Mother and Dad each strive to educate the children while they ate lunch on their road trips?
10. What key elements of the book were introduced in the Preface of "Cheaper by the Dozen"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mother and Dad ran the household like a business and diligently worked to instill a strong work ethic into the children. Discuss what it means to have a strong work ethic. Cite three examples of Mother and Dad striving to instill this trait into the children.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing was used twice in the book to express Dad's anxieties about dying at a young age. Cite two specific examples of this from the book and how the examples foreshadowed Dad's actual death at age 55.
Essay Topic 3
Dad had a strong personality, was a strong leader, and therefore had a strong influence on the children. Discuss the influences that Dad had on the children and how they were positive or negative. What character traits did he instill in the children? How did his leadership style influence their personalities and interests?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)