|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the children have their tonsils taken out?
(a) At their Grandma Gilbreth's house.
(b) At a large, prestigious hospital in Chicago.
(c) In their home.
(d) At a specialized clinic.
2. Which of the following is not a challenge Mother faced as she traveled with the children?
(a) Fred was ill.
(b) Lill had a broken foot.
(c) Ernestine got lost at the train station.
(d) Mother was seven months pregnant.
3. How did Uncle Fred surprise Mother and the children?
(a) He took them to the ocean.
(b) He took them to a carnival.
(c) He brought presents for each one of them.
(d) He got on the train one stop before their final destination.
4. When the family arrived to their vacation house, what did they receive in a package?
(a) Work from Dad's office.
(b) Educational materials for the children.
(c) Games and toys for the children.
(d) Martha's canaries.
5. Why did Dad make the children swim every day?
(a) They might become competitive swimmers.
(b) They would stay clean.
(c) They would get exercise.
(d) They could help Mother learn how to swim.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was it about Dad's photography that scared the youngest Gilbreth children?
2. Why did Dad purchase a boat?
3. In Chapter 8, what does the reader learn about Mother's family?
4. What method did Dad use to reinforce the importance of social poise?
5. When did Mother become pregnant with their first child?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what condition were the children when Uncle Fred surprised them on the train, and how did he respond?
2. Why did Dad purchase a boat, and what was the name of the boat?
3. When a psychologist came to visit, why did the children retaliate against her?
4. When Mother traveled alone with the children to visit her relatives in California, what challenges did she face?
5. While the family was on summer vacation, what educational strategies did Dad employ?
6. What event prompted the children to loosen up and behave as they normally would?
7. Where did Mother and Dad first meet, and how did he try to impress her?
8. How did Dad reinforce the importance of good table manners?
9. What did Dad attempt to do each year on their summer vacation, which caused tension between him and Mother?
10. At what point in their relationship did Mother and Dad agree they would like a large family with twelve children?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)