|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What activity took place at mealtime?
(a) Dad quizzed the children with science and history trivia.
(b) Each family member took turns telling a story about their day.
(c) They would play math tricks to learn multiplication.
(d) Dad would play classical records and teach the children about the composer and the history of the music.
2. Why is Chapter 5 entitled "Mister Chairman"?
(a) Dad enforced a new rule that the children must call him Mister Chairman instead of Dad.
(b) Bill told Dad he wanted to be called Mister Chairman when he is grown up and successful in business.
(c) Martha wanted to be respected like the boys, and she told everyone her new name was Mister Chairman.
(d) Mother and Dad ran the household like a business, and Dad was the Chairman.
3. What did Mother do on the road trip, which the children loved and Dad admired?
(a) She allowed the children to break some of the usual rules.
(b) She helped them find their way home when they got lost.
(c) She told the children stories about the things they were observing.
(d) She made up songs about the things they were observing.
4. Whom did Dad pretend to be after a woman commented about the children?
(a) A policeman who was taking a group of undisciplined children to an orphanage.
(b) A benevolent superintendent who was taking a group of orphans out for the day.
(c) The leader of a group of circus performers.
(d) A teacher who was taking children on a field trip.
5. In the Preface, what tactic does Ernestine use in her writing to get the point across?
(a) Detailed timeline of the birth of each child in the Gilbreth family.
(b) Poetry to make the writing rhythmic and engaging.
(c) Anecdotes to amuse the reader.
(d) Highly sophisticated language.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was true about Dad's driving?
2. What was Dad's favorite part of their first car?
3. Which is an example of how Mother and Dad allowed the children to have a say in the running of the household?
4. What was Dad's view of religious training?
5. When people questioned why the car was so crowded with children, how did Dad respond?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the family went out for an excursion in their car, how did the children have to prepare?
2. What key elements of the book were introduced in the Preface of "Cheaper by the Dozen"?
3. How was Dad raised, and how did he become successful in business at a young age?
4. What did Dad have a reputation for doing on family road trips, and how did Mother prepare for it?
5. By what method did Mother and Dad choose to run the household?
6. What did "Visiting Mrs. Murphy" mean to the Gilbreth family?
7. How did Dad often surprise the family?
8. What was the difference between Mother and Dad's views on child rearing?
9. Describe Frank Gilbreth, Sr.
10. What happened when Dad attempted to build a cement bird bath, and how did he feel about it?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)