|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the children do before they left the area where they ate lunch?
(a) They picked up all of the garbage, including the garbage left by other people.
(b) They sang songs together.
(c) They played a practical joke on Dad.
(d) They took turns reciting things they had learned from Mother and Dad's lessons.
2. How did Dad find success and own his own contracting business by the age of 27?
(a) He served as an apprentice to a man who owned a contracting business.
(b) He was a bricklayer, and he met a man who taught him how to be efficient and get promoted.
(c) He started as a bricklayer, and quickly rose in the ranks of construction by being an efficient worker.
(d) He followed in his father's footsteps, and he aggressively pursued a career in construction at a young age.
3. What was one thing that Dad would not allow?
(a) Others passing judgment on his family.
(b) Rewards and treats for the children.
(c) Practical jokes.
(d) The children to come to work with him.
4. Who was Mrs. Bruce?
(a) She was an older woman who never had any children.
(b) She was Dad's secretary.
(c) She was the mother of eight children.
(d) She was Ernestine's favorite teacher.
5. The children joined together to vote for __________.
(a) A tree house.
(b) A dog.
(c) A canoe.
(d) A cat.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Dad respond when Bill played a practical joke on him?
2. In Chapter 1, what does the reader learn about how Dad strived to please his family?
3. What qualities about Mother are revealed in Chapter 7?
4. What do we learn about Mother during the big family outing in the car?
5. While the family ate lunch, how did Dad use the time to educate the children?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mother and Dad each strive to educate the children while they ate lunch on their road trips?
2. When the Gilbreth's went out in their car, how did Dad handle the attention they received from onlookers?
3. What was the difference between Mother and Dad's views on child rearing?
4. In what ways did Dad demonstrate his interest in organization and time-management at home?
5. Why did Dad name the family's first car the "Foolish Carriage"?
6. What are two examples of how Dad was intimately involved with the children's schooling?
7. What key elements of the book were introduced in the Preface of "Cheaper by the Dozen"?
8. How did Mother respond when a women mistakenly though the family was a group of orphans, and Dad played along?
9. What was the Family Council?
10. When the family went out for an excursion in their car, how did the children have to prepare?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)