|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Lill display a strong work ethic at the age of eight?
(a) She refused to allow her parents to buy her some roller skates, because she wanted to earn them.
(b) She completed a very tough chore to earn a little money toward some roller skates.
(c) She asked a store owner if she could earn a pair of roller skates by working around his shop.
(d) She started a lemonade stand business so she could buy some roller skates.
2. Which is an example of how Dad never allowed the children to waste time at home?
(a) The children were expected to eat their breakfast in five minutes or less.
(b) The children were required to recite poetry while bathing.
(c) The children were required to listen to language records while bathing.
(d) The children were required to sleep in their school clothes so they were ready in the morning.
3. When people questioned why the car was so crowded with children, how did Dad respond?
(a) He angrily told them to mind their own business.
(b) He jokingly said that the dozen children were for sale, and cheaper if they bought the car too.
(c) He cheerfully informed them that children come cheaper by the dozen.
(d) He said that if it would have been cheaper to purchase a dozen cars, then he would have done so.
4. Which of the following is true of Mother's background?
(a) She was a teacher.
(b) She came from a wealthy family in California.
(c) She came from a poor family in Connecticut.
(d) She had eleven siblings.
5. What qualities about Mother are revealed in Chapter 7?
(a) She was a strong leader with a great sense of humor.
(b) She was a humble servant in the community and did not socialize very much.
(c) She was a stubborn woman, with firm beliefs.
(d) She enjoyed socializing with others and often held parties for friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what does the reader learn about how Dad strived to please his family?
2. Why is Chapter 5 entitled "Mister Chairman"?
3. What did Mother do on the road trip, which the children loved and Dad admired?
4. Why did Dad feel it was important to conduct a roll call before leaving on their family outing?
5. What did Frank Gilbreth, Sr. do when a child or group of children did something that pleased him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mother and Dad each strive to educate the children while they ate lunch on their road trips?
2. When a woman mistakenly thought the family was a group of orphans, how did Dad respond?
3. What key elements of the book were introduced in the Preface of "Cheaper by the Dozen"?
4. By what method did Mother and Dad choose to run the household?
5. What are two examples of how Dad was intimately involved with the children's schooling?
6. What was the Family Council?
7. How was Dad raised, and how did he become successful in business at a young age?
8. How did Mother respond when a women mistakenly though the family was a group of orphans, and Dad played along?
9. What are two examples of ways in which Dad did not allow any time to be wasted for the children?
10. What did Dad have a reputation for doing on family road trips, and how did Mother prepare for it?
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)