|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Dad do every summer on their family vacation?
(a) He took a nap every day.
(b) He played the guitar and sang songs with the children.
(c) He tried to teach Mother how to swim.
(d) He talked about moving the family there permanently.
2. When Mother was sick with a cold, what did the children assume about her?
(a) She would have to go to the hospital.
(b) She might die.
(c) She would have to stay in bed for a year.
(d) She was going to have another baby.
3. Once Dad became a parent, what did he quickly learn about children, which contradicted his theories?
(a) Children don't talk right after birth, and they don't instinctively swim.
(b) Children do not always obey their parents.
(c) Children would rather play than study.
(d) Babies cry and sleep often.
4. When the Gilbreth children visit Mother's relatives, how did they behave at first?
(a) They were homesick and wouldn't speak to anyone.
(b) They were on their best behavior.
(c) They disobeyed often.
(d) They were noisy and disrespectful.
5. Which of the following was true about Aunt Anne?
(a) She was passive.
(b) She was strong-willed.
(c) She was funny.
(d) She was opposed to discipline.
6. What gender did Dad want their first child to be?
(a) Whatever Mother wanted.
(b) He desperately wanted a girl.
(c) He insisted that he didn't care whether it was a boy or a girl.
(d) He desperately wanted a boy.
7. Why did Dad purchase a boat?
(a) The price was so low, he couldn't say no.
(b) It was his lifelong dream.
(c) He wanted to study the movement of a boat in different kinds of weather.
(d) To reward the children for learning how to swim.
8. What were Mother's parents concerned about?
(a) They thought the children did not feel at home.
(b) They were concerned about Mother working so hard.
(c) They were worried about Baby Fred, who was sick.
(d) They didn't think they would be able to take a nap with all of the noise.
9. If a child was rude while a guest was over for dinner, how did Dad respond?
(a) He made them stand and recite the Gettysburg Address.
(b) He ordered them to go straight to bed.
(c) He whacked them on the head with his knuckles.
(d) He made them leave the table and sit alone in the kitchen.
10. How did Uncle Fred surprise Mother and the children?
(a) He brought presents for each one of them.
(b) He took them to a carnival.
(c) He got on the train one stop before their final destination.
(d) He took them to the ocean.
11. Why did Mother leave the hospital before giving birth to her seventh child?
(a) The children missed her.
(b) She was lonely.
(c) She didn't like the hospital staff.
(d) She was scared.
12. What did the children's peers at school harass them about?
(a) Having hired help at home.
(b) Owning a nice car.
(c) Using wooden pencils.
(d) Their father being plump.
13. When Mother and Dad returned home, what did Aunt Anne tell them about her visit with the children?
(a) She told them the children were excellent musicians now.
(b) She told them the children had been very rude.
(c) She told them their children were the best behaved children she had ever encountered.
(d) She said that everything went fine, even though it hadn't.
14. At what point in their relationship did Mother and Dad begin to dream about having a large family?
(a) After they had their first child.
(b) After they had their second child.
(c) On their wedding day.
(d) On their first date.
15. Where did the family vacation every summer?
(a) Nantucket, Massachusetts.
(b) New London, Connecticut.
(c) Boston, Massachusetts.
(d) San Diego, California.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Mother's plans was disrupted?
2. In Chapter 8, to where did Mother travel with the children?
3. When Tom gave tours of the Gilbreth house while they were away, how did Mother and Dad each respond?
4. Who surprised Mother and the children on their trip home?
5. Which of the following is true about when Mother and Dad first met?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)