|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which US President was responsible for severing all diplomatic ties with Cuba?
2. How did the Cuban people react when they heard that Che was stepping down from his post to work on trade relations?
3. How many white men were present in the group that traveled from Cuba to the Congo?
4. What was the first African nation Aleida visited to be close to Che?
5. Which of the following was NOT a request Castro made for from his Cuban people in his second manifesto?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the late 1950's, how did the US government feel about Batista running Cuba?
2. What was "The Appeal to the Cuban People"?
3. Who was Pablo Ribalta and what did he do for Che's men?
4. How did Che settle into life in the Congo?
5. Why was Che forced to leave Cuba for three months following Castro's rise to power?
6. What made the Congolese rebel fighters different from the Cuban rebel fighters Che was used to working with?
7. What governmental institution did Che put into place in Cuba that provided scholarships?
8. What happened during the invasion of the Bay of Pigs?
9. Why was there tension in the workplace when Che became President of Cuba's National Bank?
10. Who was Alexandr Alexiev?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout his political career, Che loved many women. Choose two of the women that Che loved, romantically, in his life and describe them. Then, compare/contrast these women's relationships with Che. What was the same about their relationships? What was different? Why did each of these relationships end, and what lessons did Che learn about the world through his time with these women? Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you believe help to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
When Che was a teenager, he fell in love with a young girl named Maria del Carmen. Where did Che and Maria first meet? What obstacles stood in the way of Che and Maria's happiness? How did Che fight for his love with Maria? In what way did Che's relationship with Maria mirror his relationship with Argentina? Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you believe help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
When Fidel Castro rose to power in Cuba, the US immediately banned all trade with the country. First, explain what reasons the US had for freezing their trade agreements with Cuba and whether or not you believe these to be valid reasons to stop trade. Then, describe the financial impact freezing trade with the US had on the Cuban government. Finally, describe the role Che played in helping to restore trade agreements around the world and what effect Che's trade efforts had on the Cuban economy once Castro was in power. Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you believe help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)