|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Cuba NOT ask for from the Soviet government as soon as their trade agreement was made public?
2. During his final tour for Cuba, which of the following countries did Che NOT visit, halfheartedly offering Cuban military support?
3. How much money in medical supplies were the 12000 US soldiers captured in the Bay of Pigs traded for?
4. How did the Cuban people react when they heard that Che was stepping down from his post to work on trade relations?
5. What was considered the highest rank in the Cuban rebel army during the time Castro was in power?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Pablo Ribalta and what did he do for Che's men?
2. What happened during the invasion of the Bay of Pigs?
3. How did Che settle into life in the Congo?
4. How did the US respond to the news that the Soviet Union had opened trade agreements with Cuba?
5. Why were executions commonplace in Castro's army?
6. What made the Congolese rebel fighters different from the Cuban rebel fighters Che was used to working with?
7. What was "The Appeal to the Cuban People"?
8. What happened during the Cuban Missile Crisis?
9. How did Batista step down from his Presidency?
10. How did Che feel about becoming a trade ambassador for Cuba?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After completing his schooling, travel became a very important element in Che's life. The first major trip Che went on was a motorcycle trip with his friend Alberto. How did Che and Alberto survive during their long motorcycle trip? What major lessons did Che learn about his people and his country during this trip? Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you believe help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
When Batista resigned from his Presidency, Fidel came to power although not directly. First, describe the situation in which Batista gave up his Presidency. What was the reaction from the public to this news? Then, create a time line of events in which Fidel progressed in his personal bid for power. What events eventually led to Fidel being named the Prime Minister of Cuba in 1957? Do you think naming Fidel the Prime Minister was a positive or negative decision for the Cuban people? Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you think help to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Perhaps one of the best decisions Che Guevara ever made in his life was to complete his medical education. First, describe Che's educational journey to medical school. Why did he decide to study medicine over any other subject? Then, choose at least two different events in Che's life that never would have happened had he not become a doctor and describe them here. Do you think Che could have had the same political career had he not become a doctor? Why? Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you think help to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)