|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Cuban people react when they heard that Che was stepping down from his post to work on trade relations?
2. Which of Hilda's relatives was brought into Cuba on the revolutionary soldier scholarship?
3. Which of the following was NOT a reason why the Congolese rebels were considered weak?
4. How long was Che away from Cuba while he was working on trade relations?
5. In which border country was Argentina trying to create a training headquarters known as "Operation Shadow"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was there tension in the workplace when Che became President of Cuba's National Bank?
2. What happened during the Cuban Missile Crisis?
3. What happened when Che had a terrible asthma attack while setting up a new camp near Manzanillo?
4. In what ways were Che and his army responsible for disrupting the Cuban Presidential election in 1957?
5. How did Che settle into life in the Congo?
6. How did Che alter the landscape of El Hombrito?
7. How did Che's family react when they came to visit him in Havana and saw the way he was handling his political power?
8. How did Che feel about becoming a trade ambassador for Cuba?
9. Why were executions commonplace in Castro's army?
10. What was President Eisenhower's response to Castro's growing political power in Cuba?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Education was an important part of Che Guevara's childhood growing up in Argentina. First, describe Che's educational journey starting with the time that he was a small boy. Who was the most important teacher in Che's life? What did he learn from this teacher? What was Che like as a schoolboy? How do his teacher's remember him today? Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you believe help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Che had to undergo a long period of training before he was actually accepted into Castro's guerrilla army. First, describe Che's training process and what changes he underwent, physically, emotionally, and spiritually, while he was training to be in Castro's army. Then, describe the living conditions of the training camp where Che was groomed for battle. How did life in the camp compare/contrast to life at home for Che? How did Che take what he learned in Castro's training camps and incorporate these skills into his own camps later in life? Be sure to cite examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout their political career, Castro and Che considered the United States to be their common enemy. What was it about the United States that both Castro and Che found to be so bothersome? Based on their political arguments, do you understand why Castro and Che felt such hatred toward the US or do you think they had a skewed perspective? Why? Finally, explain why both Castro and Che spent a significant amount of time in the US even though they hated the government and its people. Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you think help to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)