|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What political party was Fidel Castro affiliated with until he broke away from them in March 1956?
2. What country was Hilda from?
3. Which of the following groups of people did Che call "imperialists"?
4. Which of the following people did NOT move to Cuba in May 1955?
5. What war was underway while Che was studying at college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is yerba maté?
2. What news did Che receive from home when he and Carlos moved on from Bolivia to Ecuador?
3. Why did Che and Alberto eventually split ways in Caracas?
4. How did Che settle into life in Mexico City once he moved there?
5. What job did Che secure for himself immediately after leaving high school?
6. What happened when Che was arrested during Operation Success?
7. How did Castro react when he was granted amnesty by the government?
8. Who was Isaias Nogues?
9. How did Castro get his army of men from the Mexico training camp back to Cuba?
10. Why did Che leave Guatemala to travel through El Salvador?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a child, the man Che looked up to most was his father. First, describe Guevara Sr. and list the attributes that Che most admired in his father. Then, explain Guevara Sr.'s political leanings. How active was Guevara in the political scene when Che was a child? How did Guevara Sr.'s relationship with politics affect the way his son came to view the voice of the people? Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you believe help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout their political career, Castro and Che considered the United States to be their common enemy. What was it about the United States that both Castro and Che found to be so bothersome? Based on their political arguments, do you understand why Castro and Che felt such hatred toward the US or do you think they had a skewed perspective? Why? Finally, explain why both Castro and Che spent a significant amount of time in the US even though they hated the government and its people. Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you think help to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Che had a very strange relationship with the country of his birth, one in which his emotions frequently changed. First, describe the relationship Che had with his home country of Argentina when he was a child. Then, explain how Che's relationship with Argentina slowly began to change. What troubled Che about his homeland? Then, explain why, when given the opportunity, Che refused to repatriate to Argentina. What did this refusal symbolize in relation to Che's growing political voice? Be sure to include at least two examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)