|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Maria vacationing when Che came to propose to her?
2. How long did the Guevara family live in the spa in Alta Gracia?
3. What did Che specialize in at his work right out of high school?
4. How old was Che when he first attended public school?
5. In what year was Che Guevara born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Castro's army spend their time while living in the Sierra Mountains?
2. What political event took place in Cuba on July 26, 1953?
3. How did Castro react when he was granted amnesty by the government?
4. How did Che settle into life in Mexico City once he moved there?
5. How did Che and Alberto manage to get around during their trek across South America?
6. How did Che support himself while he was living in Panama?
7. How old was Che when he first began attending public school, and why did he join the school at this age?
8. Who was Isaias Nogues?
9. How did the Guevara family react when Che was diagnosed with a medical condition at the age of two?
10. What job did Che secure for himself immediately after leaving high school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Perhaps one of the best decisions Che Guevara ever made in his life was to complete his medical education. First, describe Che's educational journey to medical school. Why did he decide to study medicine over any other subject? Then, choose at least two different events in Che's life that never would have happened had he not become a doctor and describe them here. Do you think Che could have had the same political career had he not become a doctor? Why? Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you think help to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout Che's life, he was constantly brushing up against and mingling with another revolutionary: Fidel Castro. First, create a time line of events that list the moments when both these men's lives were intertwined with one another. Then, compare/contrast the political leanings of these men and explain how Castro and Che informed and supported each other through their political careers. Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you believe help to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
As a child, the man Che looked up to most was his father. First, describe Guevara Sr. and list the attributes that Che most admired in his father. Then, explain Guevara Sr.'s political leanings. How active was Guevara in the political scene when Che was a child? How did Guevara Sr.'s relationship with politics affect the way his son came to view the voice of the people? Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you believe help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)