|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of wood is Charles' coffin made from?
2. Who does the group drink to?
3. What does Edward say his mother needs lipstick for?
4. What kind of uniform is the man wearing in the film?
5. What does Mr. Crome tell Chatterton is worse for the boy than being on the streets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How does each country's opinion about the book differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1990s? How does the author express these concerns?
2) How would the author have to change the novel if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following historical figures in Ackroyd's novel and discuss how Ackroyd represents them in CHATTERTON and why he represents that person in that manner. Are there people who would argue against Ackroyd's representation of that person's life?
1. Thomas Chatterton
2. George Meredith
3. Mary Meredith
4. Henry Wallis
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)