|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vivien place under her husband's head?
2. Why does Charles think Chatterton can hurt him?
3. What does Vivian say when she first sees Flint and Harriet at the crematorium?
4. Which part of Britain do Philip, Edward and Vivien drive to?
5. What does Charles tell Philip they ought to arrange?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vivien keep Charles' memory alive?
2. What does Wallis think about George and Mary Meredith?
3. What is Flint's opinion on modern day literature?
4. Why does Wallis think he is cheating Meredith?
5. How does Harriet get what she wants from Vivien?
6. How does Harriet persuade Cumberland to authenticate her painting?
7. Why does Edward claim he does not like the Chatterton portrait?
8. How does Merk try to prove that the Seymour painting are not fake?
9. Why is Chatterton excited about his life at the beginning of Chapter 13?
10. What does Pat Joynson tell Philip about Chatterton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author wrote Chatterton in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 2
Aside from the main characters, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
What are the arguments for and against forgery? What are Ackroyd's opinions on forgery and how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Ackroyd's opinions?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)