|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can Charles see gleaming from his hospital window?
2. What did Chatterton lose a few nights before?
3. Who is standing at the foot of Charles' bed?
4. What is the title of the book Flint is reading in the hospital?
5. What are the curtains drawn to protect?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are all the characters when Charles dies?
2. Describe the painting George picks up in the shop.
3. How does Vivien keep Charles' memory alive?
4. How does Philip help Vivien and Edward after Charles death?
5. How does the scene change when Mary arrives?
6. How does Sadlier know the Seymour paintings are fake?
7. Why is Chatterton excited about his life at the beginning of Chapter 13?
8. What does Wallis think about George and Mary Meredith?
9. What does Pat Joynson tell Philip about Chatterton?
10. What does Chatterton do during the morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following historical figures in Ackroyd's novel and discuss how Ackroyd represents them in CHATTERTON and why he represents that person in that manner. Are there people who would argue against Ackroyd's representation of that person's life?
1. Thomas Chatterton
2. George Meredith
3. Mary Meredith
4. Henry Wallis
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters alive at the end of the book. Compare his or her character to who he or she was at the beginning of the book to who he or she is at the end.
1) What did your character hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2) What events changed your character ideas about life?
3) How has your character changed by the end of the novel?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)