|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Crome tell Chatterton is worse for the boy than being on the streets?
2. What make of car does Philip own?
3. What are the curtains drawn to protect?
4. Which of the following does the author compare the pine needles to?
5. What is Souchong?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Wallis and Meredith see while they are working?
2. Where are all the characters when Charles dies?
3. How does Harriet persuade Cumberland to authenticate her painting?
4. Describe the painting George picks up in the shop.
5. How does the scene change when Mary arrives?
6. What does Chatterton do during the morning?
7. How does Philip promise to help Vivien?
8. How does Harriet act during Charles' funeral service?
9. How is Charles at the beginning of the ninth chapter?
10. Why does Wallis think he is cheating Meredith?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author wrote Chatterton in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
Aside from the main characters, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)