|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chatterton think he has caught?
2. What did Vivien place under her husband's head?
3. What is the last line of the poem that Charles quotes?
4. How does Harriet describe her chocolates?
5. Who does Philip not trust?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pat Joynson tell Philip about Chatterton?
2. What does Chatterton's friend suggest as a cure for Chatterton's STD?
3. What does Chatterton do during the morning?
4. How does Charles die?
5. How does Harriet persuade Cumberland to authenticate her painting?
6. What does Mary do while Wallis and her husband watch the fire?
7. How does Philip promise to help Vivien?
8. Why is Chatterton excited about his life at the beginning of Chapter 13?
9. What is Flint's opinion on modern day literature?
10. How does the scene change when Mary arrives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How does each country's opinion about the book differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the characters alive at the end of the book. Compare his or her character to who he or she was at the beginning of the book to who he or she is at the end.
1) What did your character hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2) What events changed your character ideas about life?
3) How has your character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What problems does Charles' generation face? How are the problems for Charles' generation different from the problems Chatterton's generation faced? Identify and discuss a problem facing your generation.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)