|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Charles' knuckles brush against?
2. What does Wallis say he put in the cups before he used them for the tea?
3. Who wrote The Four Seasons?
4. What did Chatterton lose a few nights before?
5. What does Charles say he will read to Harriet and Flint?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sadlier know the Seymour paintings are fake?
2. Where are all the characters when Charles dies?
3. How does Chatterton help the street urchin?
4. How does Merk try to prove that the Seymour painting are not fake?
5. How does Harriet persuade Cumberland to authenticate her painting?
6. Why is Chatterton excited about his life at the beginning of Chapter 13?
7. What is Flint's opinion on modern day literature?
8. What does Pat Joynson tell Philip about Chatterton?
9. How does Harriet persuade Vivien to give her Chatterton's papers?
10. What do Wallis and Meredith see while they are working?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and examine what it expresses about mid- to late-19th century society.
1) The Meredith marriage.
2) Wallis' portrait.
3) The servant's child.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the characters in the novel and discuss how he or she would cope in two of the following scenarios:
1. The police come and arrest the character for forgery.
2. The character's closest friend dies.
3. The character is diagnosed with a terminal illness.
4. The character's work becomes world renowned.
5. The character is faced with bankruptcy.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How does each country's opinion about the book differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)