|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the film showing at the cinema?
2. Who does Cumberland call to look at Harriet's painting?
3. What is Harriet kissing as she cries?
4. What does Harriet say everyone needs?
5. What kind of wood is Charles' coffin made from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Chatterton excited about his life at the beginning of Chapter 13?
2. What does Chatterton do during the morning?
3. What do Wallis and Meredith see while they are working?
4. How does Charles die?
5. What is Flint's opinion on modern day literature?
6. In what way do Charles and Vivien view Chatterton's papers differently?
7. What does Pat Joynson tell Philip about Chatterton?
8. How does Harriet persuade Cumberland to authenticate her painting?
9. What does Mary do while Wallis and her husband watch the fire?
10. What does Chatterton's friend suggest as a cure for Chatterton's STD?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a premise? Why is a premise important to a story? What is the premise of CHATTERTON?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How does each country's opinion about the book differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)