|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charles say is the food of love?
2. What does Charles say he will read to Harriet and Flint?
3. What is Marikomo?
4. How does Harriet describe her chocolates?
5. What does Wallis say he put in the cups before he used them for the tea?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1990s? How does the author express these concerns?
2) How would the author have to change the novel if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. How does the author use all these elements to create a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Pick two characters from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)