|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of wood is Charles' coffin made from?
2. What does Charles say is the food of love?
3. What does Chatterton see lying among the debris?
4. What are the curtains drawn to protect?
5. What did Chatterton lose a few nights before?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Chatterton excited about his life at the beginning of Chapter 13?
2. What does Pat Joynson tell Philip about Chatterton?
3. How does Philip help Vivien and Edward after Charles death?
4. What is wrong with the tea Wallis makes Meredith?
5. What do Wallis and Meredith see while they are working?
6. How does Philip promise to help Vivien?
7. In what way do Charles and Vivien view Chatterton's papers differently?
8. How does Charles die?
9. Where are all the characters when Charles dies?
10. How is Charles at the beginning of the ninth chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aside from the main characters, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the characters alive at the end of the book. Compare his or her character to who he or she was at the beginning of the book to who he or she is at the end.
1) What did your character hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2) What events changed your character ideas about life?
3) How has your character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters in the novel and discuss how he or she would cope in two of the following scenarios:
1. The police come and arrest the character for forgery.
2. The character's closest friend dies.
3. The character is diagnosed with a terminal illness.
4. The character's work becomes world renowned.
5. The character is faced with bankruptcy.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)