|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the car that Edward and Vivian step out of?
2. What does Vivian tell Edwards she is going to make for him?
3. What can Charles see gleaming from his hospital window?
4. What poet does the priest quote?
5. Which part of Britain do Philip, Edward and Vivien drive to?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way do Charles and Vivien view Chatterton's papers differently?
2. How does Chatterton spend his night?
3. Why is Chatterton excited about his life at the beginning of Chapter 13?
4. What does Wallis think about George and Mary Meredith?
5. How does Merk try to prove that the Seymour painting are not fake?
6. How does Harriet get what she wants from Vivien?
7. How does Philip help Vivien and Edward after Charles death?
8. What is Flint's opinion on modern day literature?
9. Why does Edward claim he does not like the Chatterton portrait?
10. Where are all the characters when Charles dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems does Charles' generation face? How are the problems for Charles' generation different from the problems Chatterton's generation faced? Identify and discuss a problem facing your generation.
Essay Topic 2
The author wrote Chatterton in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters in the novel and discuss how he or she would cope in two of the following scenarios:
1. The police come and arrest the character for forgery.
2. The character's closest friend dies.
3. The character is diagnosed with a terminal illness.
4. The character's work becomes world renowned.
5. The character is faced with bankruptcy.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)