|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What make of car does Philip own?
2. Where is Charles' funeral held?
3. What does Chatterton describe the boy's breeches as?
4. Who does Chatterton see walk into the building just as it is about to be demolished?
5. What does Flint say he is not?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Harriet persuade Cumberland to authenticate her painting?
2. What does Mary do while Wallis and her husband watch the fire?
3. What does Pat Joynson tell Philip about Chatterton?
4. How does Merk try to prove that the Seymour painting are not fake?
5. How is Charles at the beginning of the ninth chapter?
6. How does Sadlier know the Seymour paintings are fake?
7. What is wrong with the tea Wallis makes Meredith?
8. What do Wallis and Meredith see while they are working?
9. In what way do Charles and Vivien view Chatterton's papers differently?
10. How does Chatterton help the street urchin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and examine what it expresses about mid- to late-19th century society.
1) The Meredith marriage.
2) Wallis' portrait.
3) The servant's child.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following historical figures in Ackroyd's novel and discuss how Ackroyd represents them in CHATTERTON and why he represents that person in that manner. Are there people who would argue against Ackroyd's representation of that person's life?
1. Thomas Chatterton
2. George Meredith
3. Mary Meredith
4. Henry Wallis
Essay Topic 3
What are the arguments for and against forgery? What are Ackroyd's opinions on forgery and how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Ackroyd's opinions?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)