|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last line of the poem that Charles quotes?
2. Where does Vivian take shelter from the rain?
3. What kind of wood is Charles' coffin made from?
4. Who does Chatterton see walk into the building just as it is about to be demolished?
5. What are the curtains drawn to protect?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is wrong with the tea Wallis makes Meredith?
2. How does Philip help Vivien and Edward after Charles death?
3. How does Harriet persuade Cumberland to authenticate her painting?
4. How does Philip promise to help Vivien?
5. How does Merk try to prove that the Seymour painting are not fake?
6. How does Chatterton spend his night?
7. How does Sadlier know the Seymour paintings are fake?
8. How does Chatterton help the street urchin?
9. Why is Chatterton excited about his life at the beginning of Chapter 13?
10. How does the scene change when Mary arrives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the arguments for and against forgery? What are Ackroyd's opinions on forgery and how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Ackroyd's opinions?
Essay Topic 2
The author wrote Chatterton in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)