|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who painted the picture of Chatterton's dead body?
2. What does Flint think about Charles' death?
3. What name does Harriet want to call Phillip?
4. What does Chatterton describe the boy's breeches as?
5. Who does Philip not trust?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chatterton help the street urchin?
2. How does Philip help Vivien and Edward after Charles death?
3. How does Harriet persuade Cumberland to authenticate her painting?
4. What does Chatterton do during the morning?
5. How does Sadlier know the Seymour paintings are fake?
6. How does Philip promise to help Vivien?
7. What is Flint's opinion on modern day literature?
8. What does Pat Joynson tell Philip about Chatterton?
9. How does Charles die?
10. Why does Edward claim he does not like the Chatterton portrait?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1990s? How does the author express these concerns?
2) How would the author have to change the novel if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the characters alive at the end of the book. Compare his or her character to who he or she was at the beginning of the book to who he or she is at the end.
1) What did your character hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2) What events changed your character ideas about life?
3) How has your character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)