|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Vivian take shelter from the rain?
2. What does Harriet say everyone needs?
3. What does Edward say the rain is like?
4. What does Charles tell Edward he could injure?
5. What does Charles tell Philip they ought to arrange?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wallis think he is cheating Meredith?
2. What does Chatterton's friend suggest as a cure for Chatterton's STD?
3. In what way do Charles and Vivien view Chatterton's papers differently?
4. How does Chatterton spend his night?
5. How does Harriet act during Charles' funeral service?
6. How is Charles at the beginning of the ninth chapter?
7. What does Pat Joynson tell Philip about Chatterton?
8. Where are all the characters when Charles dies?
9. How does Vivien keep Charles' memory alive?
10. What is Flint's opinion on modern day literature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aside from the main characters, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1990s? How does the author express these concerns?
2) How would the author have to change the novel if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and examine what i texpresses about mid-18th century society:
1) Chatterton's STD.
2) The boy Chatterton saves.
3) Chatterton's publisher's idea about faking Chatterton's death.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)