|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is lying on Edward's bed?
2. Why is Vivien not at the art gallery?
3. What does Harriet say she would do if books became mere consumer items?
4. Who does Philip not trust?
5. What does Harriet say everyone needs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary do while Wallis and her husband watch the fire?
2. In what way do Charles and Vivien view Chatterton's papers differently?
3. How does Chatterton spend his night?
4. How does Harriet persuade Cumberland to authenticate her painting?
5. How does Philip help Vivien and Edward after Charles death?
6. Describe the painting George picks up in the shop.
7. What does Wallis think about George and Mary Meredith?
8. How does Sadlier know the Seymour paintings are fake?
9. How does Harriet persuade Vivien to give her Chatterton's papers?
10. How does Chatterton help the street urchin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and examine what it expresses about mid- to late-19th century society.
1) The Meredith marriage.
2) Wallis' portrait.
3) The servant's child.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How does each country's opinion about the book differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
What are the main turning points of the novel? How does Ackroyd develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)