|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the group drink to?
2. What do the doctors think may have happened to Charles?
3. What did Vivien place under her husband's head?
4. What is the name of the film showing at the cinema?
5. What does Harriet bring to the art gallery?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chatterton spend his night?
2. How does Philip help Vivien and Edward after Charles death?
3. How does Chatterton help the street urchin?
4. How does Harriet get what she wants from Vivien?
5. How is Charles at the beginning of the ninth chapter?
6. How does the scene change when Mary arrives?
7. Why does Wallis think he is cheating Meredith?
8. Describe the painting George picks up in the shop.
9. Why is Chatterton excited about his life at the beginning of Chapter 13?
10. What is wrong with the tea Wallis makes Meredith?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Replace the play's London setting with one of the following cities:
1. New York.
What new meaning would the new setting give the book? How important is setting for developing meaning in a story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1990s? How does the author express these concerns?
2) How would the author have to change the novel if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
How did Thomas Chatterton view the eighteenth century? What impact has his poetry had on British literature?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)