|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the stone stairs smell like?
2. Who painted the pictures that Cumblerland shows Vivien?
3. What does Pat ask Charles to do for him?
4. What does Harriet say Charles writes like?
5. What religious figure does Harriet compare herself to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harriet fear?
2. What is the problem with Charles' portrait?
3. Why is Charles happy that Chatterton's handwriting looks like it was written between 1790 and 1830?
4. Why does Pat give away the painting?
5. Why does Charles hesitate about accepting Harriet's proposal to write her memoirs?
6. Why did Harriet use Bentley's plots?
7. How did Chatterton start his career as a writer?
8. What happens to Charles the following morning?
9. How does Charles find the original owner of the Chatterton portrait?
10. Why does Mary refuse to write Harriet's memoirs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the characters in the novel and discuss how he or she would cope in two of the following scenarios:
1. The police come and arrest the character for forgery.
2. The character's closest friend dies.
3. The character is diagnosed with a terminal illness.
4. The character's work becomes world renowned.
5. The character is faced with bankruptcy.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and examine what i texpresses about mid-18th century society:
1) Chatterton's STD.
2) The boy Chatterton saves.
3) Chatterton's publisher's idea about faking Chatterton's death.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters alive at the end of the book. Compare his or her character to who he or she was at the beginning of the book to who he or she is at the end.
1) What did your character hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2) What events changed your character ideas about life?
3) How has your character changed by the end of the novel?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)