|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philip think Chatterton was?
2. What kind of animal is Mr. Gaskell?
3. What does Pat ask Charles to do for him?
4. What does Claire's mother want money for?
5. What does Sadlier call the Seymour paintings in Cumberland's gallery?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charles find the original owner of the Chatterton portrait?
2. How did Chatterton start his career as a writer?
3. What do Harriet and Sarah discuss at Sarah's house?
4. Why does Charles not take money for the books?
5. Why did Harriet use Bentley's plots?
6. What does Philip find out about Harriet in this chapter?
7. What is the problem with Charles' portrait?
8. Describe Chatterton's upbringing.
9. How does Harriet react when Charles mentions that she copied Harrison Bentley's plots for her novels?
10. Why does Charles go to the antique store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
What is a premise? Why is a premise important to a story? What is the premise of CHATTERTON?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and examine what it expresses about mid- to late-19th century society.
1) The Meredith marriage.
2) Wallis' portrait.
3) The servant's child.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)