|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Vivien work?
2. Why is Charles sucking his thumb on the train?
3. What does Harriet say she has given her life to?
4. What was the name of the church Chatterton's father worked for?
5. What was Chatterton taught to calculate at his school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the elderly man say to Charles on the phone?
2. What does Flint think about Chatterton's handwriting?
3. Describe Chatterton's upbringing.
4. Why is Charles happy that Chatterton's handwriting looks like it was written between 1790 and 1830?
5. How does Joynson suggest Chatterton can make them rich?
6. How does Harriet react when Charles mentions that she copied Harrison Bentley's plots for her novels?
7. Why does Harriet want to go to the art gallery?
8. What does Philip find out about Harriet in this chapter?
9. Why does Charles not take money for the books?
10. What is special about St. Mary Redcliffe Church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How does each country's opinion about the book differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the characters alive at the end of the book. Compare his or her character to who he or she was at the beginning of the book to who he or she is at the end.
1) What did your character hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2) What events changed your character ideas about life?
3) How has your character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How did Thomas Chatterton view the eighteenth century? What impact has his poetry had on British literature?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)