|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the church Chatterton's father worked for?
2. Where does Vivien work?
3. What city did Chatterton move to in the hope of making a name for himself?
4. What does Harriet say Charles writes like?
5. Why is Charles sucking his thumb on the train?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Pat.
2. What happens to Charles the following morning?
3. What inspired Chatterton to write?
4. Describe Flint's work.
5. Why did Harriet use Bentley's plots?
6. Why does Charles hesitate about accepting Harriet's proposal to write her memoirs?
7. How does Joynson suggest Chatterton can make them rich?
8. Why does Harriet fear her memories?
9. Why does Charles not take money for the books?
10. Why does Harriet want to go to the art gallery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a premise? Why is a premise important to a story? What is the premise of CHATTERTON?
Essay Topic 2
What are the main turning points of the novel? How does Ackroyd develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters alive at the end of the book. Compare his or her character to who he or she was at the beginning of the book to who he or she is at the end.
1) What did your character hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2) What events changed your character ideas about life?
3) How has your character changed by the end of the novel?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)