|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does the author use to describe Harriet's wicker chair?
2. What musical instrument is Charles' book about?
3. Which of the following is the surname of one of the gallery owners?
4. What can Charles Wychwood hear as he watches leaves fall to the ground?
5. Who does Harriet ask to write her memoirs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harriet want to go to the art gallery?
2. How does Joynson suggest Chatterton can make them rich?
3. Describe Flint's work.
4. How does Charles find the original owner of the Chatterton portrait?
5. Describe Pat.
6. Why does Mary refuse to write Harriet's memoirs?
7. What does Harriet fear?
8. Why is Charles happy that Chatterton's handwriting looks like it was written between 1790 and 1830?
9. What does Philip find out about Harriet in this chapter?
10. How do Philip and Charles show their different temperaments on the train to Bristol?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the characters in the novel and discuss how he or she would cope in two of the following scenarios:
1. The police come and arrest the character for forgery.
2. The character's closest friend dies.
3. The character is diagnosed with a terminal illness.
4. The character's work becomes world renowned.
5. The character is faced with bankruptcy.
Essay Topic 2
What is a premise? Why is a premise important to a story? What is the premise of CHATTERTON?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters alive at the end of the book. Compare his or her character to who he or she was at the beginning of the book to who he or she is at the end.
1) What did your character hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2) What events changed your character ideas about life?
3) How has your character changed by the end of the novel?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)