|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following phrases is now on the sign for Leno's Antiques?
2. What does the old man sell Philip?
3. Which of the following words best describes Harriet's novel?
4. What does the girl tell Tom gapes open?
5. What part of London does Andrew Flint live in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Stewart Merk destroy the Chatterton portrait?
2. How does the scene change when Mary arrives?
3. How does Harriet persuade Cumberland to authenticate her painting?
4. Why does Charles hesitate about accepting Harriet's proposal to write her memoirs?
5. How does Joynson suggest Chatterton can make them rich?
6. What does Philip find out about Harriet in this chapter?
7. What inspired Chatterton to write?
8. How does Philip promise to help Vivien?
9. What does Pat Joynson tell Philip about Chatterton?
10. How does Harriet persuade Vivien to give her Chatterton's papers?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. How does the author use all these elements to create a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 2
What is a premise? Why is a premise important to a story? What is the premise of CHATTERTON?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How does each country's opinion about the book differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 1,419 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)