|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cumberland have on his cheek?
2. Which poet's work has Chatterton seemed to have claimed as his own?
3. What does Claire's mother want money for?
4. Who does Harriet say she thought Charles was?
5. What kind of problem does Harriet tell Charles she has?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is special about St. Mary Redcliffe Church?
2. Describe Flint's work.
3. How do Philip and Charles show their different temperaments on the train to Bristol?
4. Why does Harriet want to go to the art gallery?
5. What is the problem with Charles' portrait?
6. Describe Pat.
7. Why does Charles hesitate about accepting Harriet's proposal to write her memoirs?
8. What does the elderly man say to Charles on the phone?
9. Why did Harriet use Bentley's plots?
10. How does Charles find the original owner of the Chatterton portrait?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following historical figures in Ackroyd's novel and discuss how Ackroyd represents them in CHATTERTON and why he represents that person in that manner. Are there people who would argue against Ackroyd's representation of that person's life?
1. Thomas Chatterton
2. George Meredith
3. Mary Meredith
4. Henry Wallis
Essay Topic 2
Pick two characters from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
What problems does Charles' generation face? How are the problems for Charles' generation different from the problems Chatterton's generation faced? Identify and discuss a problem facing your generation.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)