Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following phrases does Harriet use to describe her food?
2. What is Harriet's parrot holding in its beak?
3. Which poet's work has Chatterton seemed to have claimed as his own?
4. What do the stone stairs smell like?
5. What city do Philip and Charles travel to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harriet fear?
2. What does Philip find out about Harriet in this chapter?
3. What do Wallis and Meredith see while they are working?
4. Why does Charles go to the antique store?
5. What is wrong with the tea Wallis makes Meredith?
6. Why does Charles not take money for the books?
7. What does Flint think about Chatterton's handwriting?
8. How does Vivien keep Charles' memory alive?
9. Why does Charles hesitate about accepting Harriet's proposal to write her memoirs?
10. Why is Chatterton excited about his life at the beginning of Chapter 13?
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Choose one of the following and examine what it expresses about mid- to late-19th century society.
1) The Meredith marriage.
2) Wallis' portrait.
3) The servant's child.
How did Thomas Chatterton view the eighteenth century? What impact has his poetry had on British literature?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)