|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pat ask Charles to do for him?
2. What kind of book is Flint currently working on?
3. What part of London does Andrew Flint live in?
4. What does Charles give Harriet for a present?
5. Which of the following is the surname of one of the gallery owners?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charles ease Harriet's mind?
2. Why does Harriet want to go to the art gallery?
3. What does Harriet fear?
4. Why did Harriet use Bentley's plots?
5. What happens to Charles the following morning?
6. Why does Charles hesitate about accepting Harriet's proposal to write her memoirs?
7. Why does Mary refuse to write Harriet's memoirs?
8. What does the elderly man say to Charles on the phone?
9. How do Philip and Charles show their different temperaments on the train to Bristol?
10. Why does Pat give away the painting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How does each country's opinion about the book differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the characters alive at the end of the book. Compare his or her character to who he or she was at the beginning of the book to who he or she is at the end.
1) What did your character hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2) What events changed your character ideas about life?
3) How has your character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and examine what i texpresses about mid-18th century society:
1) Chatterton's STD.
2) The boy Chatterton saves.
3) Chatterton's publisher's idea about faking Chatterton's death.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)