Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following phrases does Harriet use to describe her food?
2. What is Harriet's parrot holding in its beak?
3. Which poet's work has Chatterton seemed to have claimed as his own?
4. What do the stone stairs smell like?
5. What city do Philip and Charles travel to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harriet fear?
2. What does Philip find out about Harriet in this chapter?
3. What do Wallis and Meredith see while they are working?
4. Why does Charles go to the antique store?
5. What is wrong with the tea Wallis makes Meredith?
6. Why does Charles not take money for the books?
7. What does Flint think about Chatterton's handwriting?
8. How does Vivien keep Charles' memory alive?
9. Why does Charles hesitate about accepting Harriet's proposal to write her memoirs?
10. Why is Chatterton excited about his life at the beginning of Chapter 13?
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How does each country's opinion about the book differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
How did Thomas Chatterton view the eighteenth century? What impact has his poetry had on British literature?
Choose one of the characters in the novel and discuss how he or she would cope in two of the following scenarios:
1. The police come and arrest the character for forgery.
2. The character's closest friend dies.
3. The character is diagnosed with a terminal illness.
4. The character's work becomes world renowned.
5. The character is faced with bankruptcy.
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)