|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sadlier think the Seymour's are fakes?
2. What part of London does Andrew Flint live in?
3. What is Harriet's parrot holding in its beak?
4. What is the name of the street Chatterton was born on?
5. What kind of music does Harriet turn the radio to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harriet want to go to the art gallery?
2. What do Harriet and Sarah discuss at Sarah's house?
3. Describe Pat.
4. Why does Charles go to the antique store?
5. How does Charles find the original owner of the Chatterton portrait?
6. How does Harriet react when Charles mentions that she copied Harrison Bentley's plots for her novels?
7. How do Philip and Charles show their different temperaments on the train to Bristol?
8. Why does Pat give away the painting?
9. How did Chatterton start his career as a writer?
10. What does Edward think about Charles' portrait?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the arguments for and against forgery? What are Ackroyd's opinions on forgery and how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Ackroyd's opinions?
Essay Topic 2
The author wrote Chatterton in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)