Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following phrases does Harriet use to describe her food?
2. What is Harriet's parrot holding in its beak?
3. Which poet's work has Chatterton seemed to have claimed as his own?
4. What do the stone stairs smell like?
5. What city do Philip and Charles travel to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harriet fear?
2. What does Philip find out about Harriet in this chapter?
3. What do Wallis and Meredith see while they are working?
4. Why does Charles go to the antique store?
5. What is wrong with the tea Wallis makes Meredith?
6. Why does Charles not take money for the books?
7. What does Flint think about Chatterton's handwriting?
8. How does Vivien keep Charles' memory alive?
9. Why does Charles hesitate about accepting Harriet's proposal to write her memoirs?
10. Why is Chatterton excited about his life at the beginning of Chapter 13?
Essay Topic 1
What are the main turning points of the novel? How does Ackroyd develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 2
The author wrote Chatterton in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)