|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the church Chatterton's father worked for?
2. What does Harriet say she has given her life to?
3. What does Flint call his flat?
4. What kind of hat does Harriet wear?
5. What alcoholic drink does Harriet make for herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Stewart Merk destroy the Chatterton portrait?
2. Why does Charles hesitate about accepting Harriet's proposal to write her memoirs?
3. Why did Harriet use Bentley's plots?
4. Why does Charles go to the antique store?
5. Why is Chatterton excited about his life at the beginning of Chapter 13?
6. What does Mary do while Wallis and her husband watch the fire?
7. How does Charles die?
8. How do Vivien, Philip and Edward get over Charles' death?
9. How does Vivien keep Charles' memory alive?
10. How does Philip stop the Chatterton forgery from becoming public knowledge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main turning points of the novel? How does Ackroyd develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and examine what i texpresses about mid-18th century society:
1) Chatterton's STD.
2) The boy Chatterton saves.
3) Chatterton's publisher's idea about faking Chatterton's death.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 1,331 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)