|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philip think Chatterton was?
2. How does Mrs. Leno describe Charles' haircut?
3. What was the name of the church Chatterton's father worked for?
4. Which of the following sentences does Harriet say to her reflection?
5. Which of the following is the surname of one of the gallery owners?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Stewart Merk destroy the Chatterton portrait?
2. Why is Chatterton excited about his life at the beginning of Chapter 13?
3. Why does Edward claim he does not like the Chatterton portrait?
4. Why is Charles happy that Chatterton's handwriting looks like it was written between 1790 and 1830?
5. What do Wallis and Meredith see while they are working?
6. How does Chatterton help the street urchin?
7. Why does Harriet want to go to the art gallery?
8. What does Chatterton do during the morning?
9. How does Harriet persuade Vivien to give her Chatterton's papers?
10. Describe Pat.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following historical figures in Ackroyd's novel and discuss how Ackroyd represents them in CHATTERTON and why he represents that person in that manner. Are there people who would argue against Ackroyd's representation of that person's life?
1. Thomas Chatterton
2. George Meredith
3. Mary Meredith
4. Henry Wallis
Essay Topic 2
What problems does Charles' generation face? How are the problems for Charles' generation different from the problems Chatterton's generation faced? Identify and discuss a problem facing your generation.
Essay Topic 3
How did Thomas Chatterton view the eighteenth century? What impact has his poetry had on British literature?
This section contains 1,376 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)