|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Cumberland's partner?
2. What does Charles say has pained his senses?
3. What does Pat ask Charles to do for him?
4. What does Charles have to confirm to the old gentleman that he does not have?
5. What musical instrument is Charles' book about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harriet want to go to the art gallery?
2. How did Chatterton start his career as a writer?
3. How does Harriet react when Charles mentions that she copied Harrison Bentley's plots for her novels?
4. What does the elderly man say to Charles on the phone?
5. What happens to Charles the following morning?
6. What is special about St. Mary Redcliffe Church?
7. Why does Charles hesitate about accepting Harriet's proposal to write her memoirs?
8. Why did Harriet use Bentley's plots?
9. How does Charles find the original owner of the Chatterton portrait?
10. Describe Pat.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Pick two characters from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
What is a premise? Why is a premise important to a story? What is the premise of CHATTERTON?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)