|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Philip work?
2. What does Edward say when Chatterton's portrait falls off the wall?
3. What was Chatterton taught to calculate at his school?
4. In which city did Charles buy the flute book?
5. What does Cumberland have on his cheek?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Philip and Charles show their different temperaments on the train to Bristol?
2. Why does Pat give away the painting?
3. Describe Flint's work.
4. What is the problem with Charles' portrait?
5. How did Chatterton start his career as a writer?
6. Describe Chatterton's upbringing.
7. What does Flint think about Chatterton's handwriting?
8. How does Charles ease Harriet's mind?
9. Why does Charles hesitate about accepting Harriet's proposal to write her memoirs?
10. What inspired Chatterton to write?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the arguments for and against forgery? What are Ackroyd's opinions on forgery and how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Ackroyd's opinions?
Essay Topic 2
What are the main turning points of the novel? How does Ackroyd develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. How does the author use all these elements to create a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)