|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Philip work?
2. What do the stone stairs smell like?
3. Who painted the pictures that Cumblerland shows Vivien?
4. What does Edward say when Chatterton's portrait falls off the wall?
5. What is the name of the street Chatterton was born on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What inspired Chatterton to write?
2. Why does Harriet fear her memories?
3. What does Flint think about Chatterton's handwriting?
4. What is special about St. Mary Redcliffe Church?
5. Why did Harriet use Bentley's plots?
6. What does Philip find out about Harriet in this chapter?
7. Why does Harriet want to go to the art gallery?
8. How does Joynson suggest Chatterton can make them rich?
9. What does the elderly man say to Charles on the phone?
10. Describe Chatterton's upbringing.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. How does the author use all these elements to create a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1990s? How does the author express these concerns?
2) How would the author have to change the novel if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)