|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vivien say is the only thing Edward ever does?
2. How does Mrs. Leno describe Charles' haircut?
3. What was the name of Seymour's assistant?
4. What city did Chatterton move to in the hope of making a name for himself?
5. What does Charles say has pained his senses?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harriet fear her memories?
2. How does Joynson suggest Chatterton can make them rich?
3. Why does Charles go to the antique store?
4. What do Harriet and Sarah discuss at Sarah's house?
5. Why did Harriet use Bentley's plots?
6. Why does Harriet want to go to the art gallery?
7. What inspired Chatterton to write?
8. Why does Pat give away the painting?
9. What is special about St. Mary Redcliffe Church?
10. How does Charles ease Harriet's mind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main turning points of the novel? How does Ackroyd develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
Essay Topic 2
The author wrote Chatterton in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and examine what it expresses about mid- to late-19th century society.
1) The Meredith marriage.
2) Wallis' portrait.
3) The servant's child.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)