|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of critic is Sarah Tilt?
2. What university did Mary study at?
3. What name is Thomas Chatterton also known as?
4. What does the girl tell Tom gapes open?
5. What does Joynson suggest Chatterton does in an effort to make them both rich?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Harriet use Bentley's plots?
2. How does Harriet react when Charles mentions that she copied Harrison Bentley's plots for her novels?
3. Describe Pat.
4. Describe Flint's work.
5. What does the elderly man say to Charles on the phone?
6. How does Joynson suggest Chatterton can make them rich?
7. Why does Mary refuse to write Harriet's memoirs?
8. What is special about St. Mary Redcliffe Church?
9. How did Chatterton start his career as a writer?
10. Why is Charles happy that Chatterton's handwriting looks like it was written between 1790 and 1830?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick two characters from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the characters alive at the end of the book. Compare his or her character to who he or she was at the beginning of the book to who he or she is at the end.
1) What did your character hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2) What events changed your character ideas about life?
3) How has your character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1990s? How does the author express these concerns?
2) How would the author have to change the novel if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)