|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Vivien work?
2. What does Mr. Leno ask Mrs. Leno to come and be?
3. What religious figure does Harriet compare herself to?
4. Who is the plaque that Philip finds dedicated to?
5. What does Harriet say Charles writes like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What inspired Chatterton to write?
2. How does Harriet react when Charles mentions that she copied Harrison Bentley's plots for her novels?
3. Why does Pat give away the painting?
4. What happens to Charles the following morning?
5. Describe Pat.
6. Why does Charles hesitate about accepting Harriet's proposal to write her memoirs?
7. Describe Flint's work.
8. What is the problem with Charles' portrait?
9. Why does Charles not take money for the books?
10. What does Philip find out about Harriet in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1990s? How does the author express these concerns?
2) How would the author have to change the novel if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the characters in the novel and discuss how he or she would cope in two of the following scenarios:
1. The police come and arrest the character for forgery.
2. The character's closest friend dies.
3. The character is diagnosed with a terminal illness.
4. The character's work becomes world renowned.
5. The character is faced with bankruptcy.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)