|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Chatterton's invented monk?
2. What was the name of the church Chatterton's father worked for?
3. Why did Hariett use the plots from Bentley's books?
4. What does Harriet say she cannot write about?
5. What does Leno Antiques ask their customers not to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harriet fear her memories?
2. Describe Flint's work.
3. How do Philip and Charles show their different temperaments on the train to Bristol?
4. Why did Harriet use Bentley's plots?
5. Why does Charles not take money for the books?
6. What happens to Charles the following morning?
7. Why does Charles go to the antique store?
8. What does Edward think about Charles' portrait?
9. Why does Mary refuse to write Harriet's memoirs?
10. What does Flint think about Chatterton's handwriting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How does each country's opinion about the book differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the characters alive at the end of the book. Compare his or her character to who he or she was at the beginning of the book to who he or she is at the end.
1) What did your character hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2) What events changed your character ideas about life?
3) How has your character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and examine what i texpresses about mid-18th century society:
1) Chatterton's STD.
2) The boy Chatterton saves.
3) Chatterton's publisher's idea about faking Chatterton's death.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)