|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Leno describe Charles' haircut?
2. What is the name of the street Chatterton was born on?
3. What does Joynson suggest Chatterton does in an effort to make them both rich?
4. What city did Chatterton move to in the hope of making a name for himself?
5. What musical instrument is Charles' book about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the problem with Charles' portrait?
2. Describe Chatterton's upbringing.
3. What happens to Charles the following morning?
4. How did Chatterton start his career as a writer?
5. What does Philip find out about Harriet in this chapter?
6. Why is Charles happy that Chatterton's handwriting looks like it was written between 1790 and 1830?
7. Why does Charles not take money for the books?
8. How does Charles find the original owner of the Chatterton portrait?
9. How does Joynson suggest Chatterton can make them rich?
10. Describe Flint's work.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
How did Thomas Chatterton view the eighteenth century? What impact has his poetry had on British literature?
Essay Topic 3
Pick two characters from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)