|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of book is Flint currently working on?
2. What kind of books does the library keep in the basement?
3. What university did Mary study at?
4. What is the name of Cumberland's partner?
5. What city do Philip and Charles travel to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What inspired Chatterton to write?
2. What is special about St. Mary Redcliffe Church?
3. What happens to Charles the following morning?
4. What does Philip find out about Harriet in this chapter?
5. Describe Pat.
6. What do Harriet and Sarah discuss at Sarah's house?
7. What is the problem with Charles' portrait?
8. How does Charles find the original owner of the Chatterton portrait?
9. What does Edward think about Charles' portrait?
10. How does Harriet react when Charles mentions that she copied Harrison Bentley's plots for her novels?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How does each country's opinion about the book differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
How did Thomas Chatterton view the eighteenth century? What impact has his poetry had on British literature?
Essay Topic 3
What is a premise? Why is a premise important to a story? What is the premise of CHATTERTON?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)