|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Allwit stand to lose if Sir Walter marries another woman?
2. What does Tim believe he can argue about wenches?
3. What does Allwit decide to turn his house into after Sir Walter is removed from it?
4. Who does Moll run away with when her mother runs out to find her?
5. Who does Sir Walter hide from after the first servant's news?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Allwit chooses to invite some interesting characters to his daughter's christening, particularly The Gossips and The Puritans. Briefly describe The Gossips and The Puritans, and explain what their role in the christening party was. Explain how Allwit's attitude toward these guests changed as soon as he brought them back to his house, and why.
Essay Topic 2
When Sir Walter is first introduced to the audience, it is made clear that he is in deep debt to his family. Explain why Sir Walter has gone into such deep debt, and what he intends to do about resolving those debts. Explain why Sir Walter feels the need to keep his debts hidden to the other characters in the play.
Essay Topic 3
The setting of the play is very influential to the title. Briefly describe the setting of Cheapside, and then explain how this setting sets the tone for the entire plot of the play. In your opinion, would this story have been as effective if it were set anywhere else? Why or why not?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)