|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Petra and Calder do on November 22?
(a) Get out of school early.
(b) Try to contact Vermeer in a seance.
(c) Have tea at the Art Institute of Chicago.
(d) Have tea with Mrs. Sharpe.
2. What does Petra wonder about Ms. Hussey and Mrs. Sharpe?
(a) If they know the thief.
(b) If they are in cohorts.
(c) If they are in danger.
(d) Their connections to the crime.
3. What is does Petra and Calder think Petra has found?
(a) A portion of the letter by the thief.
(b) It is a piece of the pencil the thief used to write the letter.
(c) Evidence that someone is committing forgery of a painting.
(d) There does not seem to be any sense to what they have found.
4. What does Mrs. Sharpe believe about the woman in Petra's dreams?
(a) The woman is trying to speak to Petra.
(b) The woman is a reincarnation of another woman.
(c) The woman is being held against her will somewhere.
(d) The woman is a friend of her deceased husband.
5. What does the thief say if his demand is not met by that deadline?
(a) He will destroy "The Lady Writing".
(b) He will blow up the Art Institute of Chicago.
(c) Someone will die.
(d) He will blow up the Louvre.
6. What deadline does the thief give for his demands to be met?
(a) February 1.
(b) January 21.
(c) February 14.
(d) January 11.
7. What makes Petra nervous as they wander this other location?
(a) It is dark.
(b) It is creaky.
(c) It smells like there is something dead inside.
(d) It resembles some of Vermeer's paintings.
8. What do protests encourage the thief to do?
(a) Put the lady somewhere that the common people can enjoy her.
(b) Keep the lady.
(c) Return the lady and ignore the experts.
(d) Steal more paintings.
9. Where are Petra and Calder sitting at the opening to Chapter Sixteen?
(a) Petra's front porch.
(b) Gracie Hall.
(c) Mrs. Sharpe's front porch.
(d) Outside Powell's Books.
10. What does Calder find that would be a good place to hide a painting?
(a) A false floor.
(b) Steps to the attic.
(c) A large wardrobe.
(d) A false wall.
11. What do the students try to distinguish between various Vermeer paintings?
(a) Which are painted when Vermeer is suffering from a broken hand.
(b) Which are painted when Vermeer's mother was influential on his choices.
(c) Which are real and which are fake.
(d) Which are painted before Vermeer becomes famous.
12. What does Petra encounter when she walks into the kitchen the next morning?
(a) Her parents with horrified looks on their faces.
(b) Her brother is on the floor barking.
(c) Her dog is whining.
(d) No one is home.
13. What appears in newspapers around the world?
(a) A picture just recently found of Vermeer.
(b) A picture of Mrs. Sharpe stealing the painting.
(c) A picture of Ms. Hussey handing the stolen painting to Mrs. Sharpe.
(d) The thief's letter.
14. To whom are Calder and Petra supposed to give the object from Mrs. Sharpe?
(a) They are to keep it themselves.
(b) The principal at their school.
(c) Mr. King.
(d) Ms. Hussey.
15. What does Tommy's latest letter to Calder say?
(a) Tommy's stepfather has deserted them.
(b) Tommy's stepfather is working for the mob.
(c) Tommy is moving again.
(d) Tommy is ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is becoming a worldwide phenomenon?
2. What does Petra begin to question?
3. Who broke her leg?
4. What is published the next day?
5. Why do Petra and Calder go to Fargo Hall?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)