|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the students find many objects that resemble objects in Vermeer paintings?
(a) At Mrs. Sharpe's home.
(b) At the museum.
(c) No where.
(d) In other painters' pictures.
2. Who does Mrs. Sharpe know who was murdered?
(a) Her husband.
(b) A renowned French artist who was her second cousin.
(c) No one.
(d) A friend of hers from college who was a Vermeer scholar.
3. What does Petra find where he has been left behind?
(a) A painting.
(b) A photography of the Lady painting.
(c) Another letter.
(d) A body.
4. What is becoming a worldwide phenomenon?
(a) Bringing art to the people.
(b) The taking of paintings as hostage for learning.
(c) Reverence for Vermeer.
5. How much do the students have to know about art to have an opinion about art?
(a) They have to have taken a semester of art appreciation.
(b) They have to at least studied the major artists of Vermeer's time.
(c) Not much.
(d) They have to be experts.
6. Why hypothetical situation does Ms. Hussey put to Calder and Petra?
(a) About returning something that was stolen.
(b) About receiving a letter.
(c) About being immortal.
(d) About having Mrs. Sharpe examined by a psychiatrist.
7. Who broke her leg?
(a) Mrs. Sharpe.
(b) Ms. Hussey.
(c) Petra's mother.
(d) Tommy's mother.
8. What does Petra encounter when she walks into the kitchen the next morning?
(a) Her dog is whining.
(b) No one is home.
(c) Her brother is on the floor barking.
(d) Her parents with horrified looks on their faces.
9. How do those caught in the thief's plan feel?
(a) Awful for being duped.
(c) Amused now that the scheme was thwarted.
10. What are Petra and Calder shocked to see on their way to school?
(a) Mrs. Sharpe on a stretcher outside her home.
(b) Ms. Hussey sitting on a park bench crying.
(c) Another broken pencil with blood on it.
(d) A duplicate of the Lady painting being run over by the train.
11. What makes Petra nervous as they wander this other location?
(a) It is creaky.
(b) It smells like there is something dead inside.
(c) It is dark.
(d) It resembles some of Vermeer's paintings.
12. What does Petra see on the ground?
(a) Some dribbles of color.
(b) A torn piece of canvas.
(c) A torn piece of paper.
(d) A broken art pencil.
13. Why does Ms. Hussey not come to school?
(a) Her mother has died.
(b) She has taken a leave of absence.
(c) She is ill.
(d) She has been arrested.
14. Why is Mrs. Sharpe asking for police protection?
(a) Someone broke in to her home.
(b) Her son-in-law has gone berserk.
(c) A vagrant has been bothering her.
(d) She receives a letter from the thief.
15. Where are Petra and Calder sitting at the opening to Chapter Sixteen?
(a) Petra's front porch.
(b) Outside Powell's Books.
(c) Mrs. Sharpe's front porch.
(d) Gracie Hall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What deadline does the thief give for his demands to be met?
2. What does Mrs. Sharpe give Petra and Calder?
3. What is the Castiglione's treehouse?
4. Where is Frog?
5. What do Petra and Calder wonder about Mrs. Sharpe?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)