|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Calder and Petra discuss on their walk to school?
(a) The goodness or lack thereof of the thief.
(b) If the Lady does not want to be found.
(c) If Ms. Hussey has been accused falsely.
(d) If Mrs. Sharpe should still be considered a suspect.
2. Where are Petra and Calder in the opening of Chapter Seventeen?
(a) Near Mrs. Sharpe's home.
(b) In the school library.
(c) In Petra's family room.
(d) In the bushes outside Ms. Hussey's living room windows.q
3. Why do Petra and Calder go to Fargo Hall?
(a) To get hot chocolate.
(b) To take the FCAT.
(c) To register for the standardized test for their age group.
(d) To apply for a grant to open the art gallery on campus.
4. Who does Petra see with a package in his arms?
(a) The principal.
(b) Mrs. Sharpe's son.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her brother.
5. What does Tommy's latest letter to Calder say?
(a) Tommy is ill.
(b) Tommy's stepfather has deserted them.
(c) Tommy is moving again.
(d) Tommy's stepfather is working for the mob.
6. Where are Petra and Calder sitting at the opening to Chapter Sixteen?
(a) Petra's front porch.
(b) Mrs. Sharpe's front porch.
(c) Gracie Hall.
(d) Outside Powell's Books.
7. What is becoming a worldwide phenomenon?
(b) Bringing art to the people.
(c) Reverence for Vermeer.
(d) The taking of paintings as hostage for learning.
8. Why does Ms. Hussey not come to school?
(a) She is ill.
(b) She has taken a leave of absence.
(c) Her mother has died.
(d) She has been arrested.
9. Who does Mrs. Sharpe know who was murdered?
(a) No one.
(b) A renowned French artist who was her second cousin.
(c) A friend of hers from college who was a Vermeer scholar.
(d) Her husband.
10. What are Petra and Calder shocked to see on their way to school?
(a) Mrs. Sharpe on a stretcher outside her home.
(b) Another broken pencil with blood on it.
(c) Ms. Hussey sitting on a park bench crying.
(d) A duplicate of the Lady painting being run over by the train.
11. What location at the school do Calder and Petra think is more interesting than King Hall?
(a) Delia Dell Hall.
(b) Kingdom Hall.
(c) The old school gym.
(d) Brewster auditorium.
12. What does Calder use as an way to look for large storage spaces?
(a) The need to use the bathroom.
(b) Wanting to help Mrs. Sharpe with some cleaning.
(c) Wanting to see more of the items in her basement.
(d) Pretending he was chasing a mouse.
13. What does the thief say if his demand is not met by that deadline?
(a) He will blow up the Louvre.
(b) He will destroy "The Lady Writing".
(c) He will blow up the Art Institute of Chicago.
(d) Someone will die.
14. What number is associated with odd coincidences?
15. Where do the students find many objects that resemble objects in Vermeer paintings?
(a) At Mrs. Sharpe's home.
(b) No where.
(c) At the museum.
(d) In other painters' pictures.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Petra and Calder wonder if the painting could be?
2. How do those caught in the thief's plan feel?
3. Why is Mrs. Sharpe asking for police protection?
4. Where do Petra and the security guard go?
5. What does Petra see on the ground?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)