|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is especially interested in the quote Ms. Hussey tells the students?
(d) The genius of the class, Henrique.
2. What does Calder write about as he sits in the sun?
(a) How pentominoes are art to him.
(b) His box.
(c) His mother's colorful dresses.
(d) His cat's eyes that seem to be many different colors.
3. What does the Chicago Tribune publish?
(a) A letter from the thief of "The Lady Waiting".
(b) A list of Vermeer's paintings.
(c) A demand for ransom money.
(d) A schedule of the Art Institute of Chicago's gallery hours.
4. What does Petra decide she wants to do after reading "Lo!"?
(a) Draw some of her own odd happenings.
(b) Give the book to her adventurous cousin.
(c) Study odd happenings in the world.
(d) Refute his theories.
5. What does Petra ask Calder to explain?
(a) About his grandmother and her knowledge of the painting.
(b) About his mathematical genius.
(c) About pentominoes.
(d) About his box.
6. Why are they calling the place?
(a) To see if "The Lady Writing" is there.
(b) To report the dream Petra keeps having.
(c) To see if there are any paintings of Vermeer's contemporaries there.
(d) To ask about Vermeer's later life.
7. What helps Calder think?
(a) Creating stories in his head.
(b) Listening to music.
(c) Working with the pentominoes.
8. What do Petra and Calder decide to list?
(a) Ways dream images can be interpreted.
(b) All the strange happenings that have taken place recently.
(c) The names of the paintings in which the woman in Petra's dream appears.
(d) Ms. Hussey's movements.
9. What do Petra and Calder learn about Vermeer?
(a) That he was orphaned at a very young age.
(b) That much is unknown about his life.
(c) That he was color blind.
(d) That he was deaf.
10. What does Petra start looking for in the world around her?
11. What does Calder seem unhappy about studying?
12. What does Calder's grandmother call a "rainbow bath"?
(a) Lying in a room painted with the colors of the rainbow.
(b) Lying in the solarium.
(c) Sitting in the sun.
(d) Surrounding oneself with crystals.
13. What truth does the thief say the public needs to learn?
(a) About stolen art.
(b) About the bribes happening with the Art Institute of Chicago.
(c) About Vermeer.
(d) About Vermeer's real life.
14. How do Calder and Petra decide to help the Lady?
(a) By talking to Ms. Hussey.
(b) By hiring a private investigator.
(c) By paying attention to everything around them.
(d) By learning more about who the lady is.
15. What interrupts Calder in his writing?
(a) A loud bang.
(b) A commotion outside.
(c) A yell.
(d) A howl from his dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who seems to speak to Petra with knowing eyes?
2. What is in Petra's hair on the way to school the next morning?
3. Who gave Calder the box he pulls out to look in?
4. What does the thief say he will do if the public does not respond to the thief's demands?
5. What does Petra notice about her father the next day?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)