|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shocks Petra?
(a) Two other girls from school are wearing the same dress.
(b) The woman in her dream is the same as is painted on Calder's box.
(c) Calder is wearing a costume she recognizes.
(d) The lady in her dreams is from a Vermeer painting.
2. In what month does the book open?
3. How does Petra respond to what she notices about her father?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She wants to call a doctor.
(c) She is worried.
(d) She gets defensive.
4. What does Petra decide she wants to do after reading "Lo!"?
(a) Refute his theories.
(b) Study odd happenings in the world.
(c) Draw some of her own odd happenings.
(d) Give the book to her adventurous cousin.
5. What has happened to Frog?
(a) He has suddenly disappeared.
(b) He has received a scholarship to a magnet school.
(c) He is hit by a car.
(d) He has drowned.
6. What does Calder think when he sees Petra in her Halloween costume?
(a) He thinks she looks silly.
(b) He thinks she looks awesome.
(c) He thinks she is a bit strange.
(d) The costume looks like one from a book about Vermeer.
7. How is Calder's home described?
(a) Quiet and disorganized.
(b) Chaotic and loud.
(c) Loud but quite orderly.
(d) Orderly and quiet.
8. What does Calder seem unhappy about studying?
9. How does Ms. Hussey seem to Calder and Petra?
(d) Visibly upset.
10. What is Petra doing in Powell's one day when she encounters Calder?
(a) Shelving books.
(c) Spying on Ms. Hussey.
(d) Writing down the name of poets.
11. About what is Petra curious?
(a) The woman's significance.
(b) Her mother's interpretation of the woman being in Petra's dream.
(c) Why Ms. Hussey seems to know about Petra's dream.
(d) How Petra and Calder both had the same dream.
12. When does Vermeer paint "A Lady Writing"?
13. What excites Petra in school?
(c) High-end mathematics.
(d) Research writing.
14. From where do the clippings in "Lo!" seem to come?
(a) From newspapers no longer extant.
(b) From the internet.
(c) From handwritten articles.
(d) From newspapers from all over the world.
15. How has reading Fort helping Calder and Petra?
(a) To be less shy about asking questions.
(b) To understand that all is not as it ever appears.
(c) To become friends.
(d) To look more closely at the world around them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the majority of the events in "Lo!" include?
2. What is in Petra's hair on the way to school the next morning?
3. What shocks each of the three people?
4. What is Ms. Hussey's appearance when she comes to school one day?
5. Who are Calder and Petra?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)