|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Calder say speaks to him and gives him answers?
(b) An inner voice.
(c) His pentominoes.
(d) His dreams.
2. How does Petra respond to what she notices about her father?
(a) She wants to call a doctor.
(b) She is worried.
(c) She laughs.
(d) She gets defensive.
3. What does the thief say he will do if the public does not respond to the thief's demands?
(a) He will drop "The Lady Waiting" into Lake Michigan in a waterproof container.
(b) He will kill himself.
(c) He will auction the painting off to the highest bidder.
(d) He will destroy "The Lady Waiting".
4. How is Petra's family described?
(a) Small and close knit.
(b) Quiet and intellectual.
(c) Chaotic and loud.
(d) Small and not close.
5. Who is especially interested in the quote Ms. Hussey tells the students?
(a) The genius of the class, Henrique.
6. Who seems to speak to Petra with knowing eyes?
(a) A woman in a dream.
(b) Ms. Hussey.
(c) Petra's father.
(d) Petra's grandmother.
7. What excites Petra in school?
(a) High-end mathematics.
(b) Research writing.
8. What shocks Petra?
(a) The lady in her dreams is from a Vermeer painting.
(b) The woman in her dream is the same as is painted on Calder's box.
(c) Calder is wearing a costume she recognizes.
(d) Two other girls from school are wearing the same dress.
9. What interrupts Calder in his writing?
(a) A loud bang.
(b) A howl from his dog.
(c) A commotion outside.
(d) A yell.
10. With whom did Calder usually spend his free time until recently?
(d) No one.
11. According to the artist quoted, what also tells the truth?
12. What most interests Calder?
(a) Math and pentominoes.
13. What does Petra find at her home?
(a) A correlation between truth and beauty.
(b) A great deal of art.
(c) Meaning in the everyday things she uses.
(d) Very little art.
14. Of what is "Lo!" full?
(b) Strange happenings.
15. What is significant about the Art Institute in Chicago for Petra and Calder?
(a) It is where "The Lady Writing" is due to arrive.
(b) It is where "The Lady Writing" was kept until about two years earlier.
(c) It is close to their home and they can visit it easily.
(d) It is scheduled to be closed for several months for remodeling.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who have arrived outside where Calder is?
2. What is the purpose of the book "Chasing Vermeer"?
3. About what do Petra and Calder worry?
4. What is Ms. Hussey's class supposed to investigate for this assignment?
5. What is Ms. Hussey's class discussing at the opening of Chapter Four?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)