|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what month does the book open?
2. What does Petra think it all means?
(a) She is not sure.
(b) She thinks it's a joke.
(c) She thinks her best friend knows the answer.
(d) She thinks it has something to do with Calder.
3. What painting does Calder find on Mrs. Sharpe's wall?
(a) The same one that Calder's mother has hanging over the couch.
(b) The same one that is on his box.
(c) One by a painter name Ilsatch.
(d) One that Ms. Hussey showed in class.
4. About whom does Calder worry?
(c) His mother.
(d) His grandmother.
5. What is the purpose of the book "Chasing Vermeer"?
(a) To teach young people in a fun way.
(b) Just to entertain.
(c) To persuade children to stay away from a life of crime.
(d) To test intelligence.
6. What does Calder learn when he researches Vermeer?
(a) Vermeer uses the same objects in many of his paintings.
(b) Vermeer started painting when he was seventy-seven.
(c) Vermeer started painting when he was three.
(d) Vermeer was scorned as an artist for many years.
7. What does the artist she quotes say tell(s) a lie?
8. Who is Louise Coffin Sharpe?
(a) Calder's great aunt.
(b) Petra's grandmother.
(c) The first owner of the book "Lo!".
(d) The author of Calder's book on art.
9. What is significant about the number twelve in the story?
(a) The book can be logically divided into twelve story lines.
(b) It takes twelve geometric shapes to create rectangles.
(c) There are twelve major characters.
(d) There are twelve major events.
10. What shocks each of the three people?
(a) The time it will take to pursue their goals.
(b) That they have been chosen for such an honor.
(c) The contents of the letter they receive.
(d) The danger involved.
11. What is Ms. Hussey's appearance when she comes to school one day?
(a) She has a black eye.
(b) Her arm is in a sling.
(c) She has a bandage on her leg.
(d) She is walking with a cane.
12. What does Calder learn about his grandmother?
(a) Her favorite painter was Vermeer.
(b) She painted the picture hanging in Calder's living room.
(c) She was quite a good artist herself.
(d) Her best friend was a good friend of one of Vermeer's descendants.
13. Who have arrived outside where Calder is?
(a) Calder's grandmother.
(c) Just Mr. Watch.
(d) Ms. Hussey, Mrs. Sharpe and Mr. Watch.
14. How do Calder and Petra decide to help the Lady?
(a) By talking to Ms. Hussey.
(b) By paying attention to everything around them.
(c) By learning more about who the lady is.
(d) By hiring a private investigator.
15. What does Calder write about as he sits in the sun?
(a) How pentominoes are art to him.
(b) His box.
(c) His mother's colorful dresses.
(d) His cat's eyes that seem to be many different colors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Calder think when he sees Petra in her Halloween costume?
2. Why is Petra embarrassed?
3. What does Calder's grandmother call a "rainbow bath"?
4. About what are these three people warned?
5. What connections do Petra and Calder try to make?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)