|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gave Pierce a caricature of himself that hangs on the wall of his office?
2. What does the private detective tell Pierce about his conversation with Robin during his investigation?
3. What company symbols does Cody collect?
4. What does Pierce witness being taken from Lilly's work apartment in Chapter 16?
5. What does Monica question about the building in which Pierce lives?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pierce end up hanging upside down outside his apartment balcony in Chapter 19?
2. Why does Pierce think of rock stars, especially Jimi Hendrix, as he lies injured in his bedroom at the end of Chapter 20?
3. Who is Isabelle? How did she die?
4. What does Pierce learn is the name of the man who runs Entrepreneurial Concepts? Why does Pierce threaten to sue this man?
5. Why does Pierce call back one of Lilly's callers and ask for the name of the website where her web page appears?
6. What is the connection between Fantastic Voyage and Amedeo's current project?
7. Why does Pierce promise Philip Glass he will back off his investigation into Lilly Quinlan's disappearance?
8. Why does Pierce call the police at the end of Chapter 13? What is the result of this phone call?
9. Why did Robin call and leave a message for Pierce in Chapter 16? What does she reveal to Pierce about herself during a subsequent phone call?
10. Why does Pierce ask Monica not to speak about him to other people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Pierce's phone number. How did Pierce get his new phone number? Who set it up? Who begins calling the number from the start? How does this send Pierce down the road of investigating Lilly Quinlan's disappearance? Who does Pierce think had the number before him? Did he ever find a phone bill connecting this person to the number? Why not? How does it turn out the number became connected to Lilly Quinlan? Who set Pierce up?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Henry Pierce? What kind of research does he do? What does Pierce hope to do with his research? What does Horton Hears a Who? have to do with his work? What is Fantastic Voyage? What has that to do with Pierce's work? Why has Pierce recently moved? How does he feel about the move? Who keeps calling Pierce's new phone number? For what reason? What does Pierce do with this information? Why is Pierce so interested in the whereabouts of Lilly Quinlan? Whom does Lilly remind him of? For what reason? What guilt does Pierce carry around because of this person?
Essay Topic 3
What is hidden in a storage compartment rented under Pierce's name? How did the storage compartment come to be under Pierce's name? When was it rented? For what purpose? How long does this suggest the plot against Pierce had been under works? What would happen if the police learned of this storage compartment? Would a murderer really hide incriminating evidence in that manner? What are the benefits of hiding evidence in such a way? What are the downfalls of hiding information in that way? How does Pierce temporarily protect himself from the situation? How long will this solution last?
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)