|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Pierce at the end of Chapter 17 and agrees to meet to discuss Lilly Quinlan?
2. What is Arbadac Arba?
3. Whose number does Wentz find on Pierce's caller ID that makes him angry?
4. What is the name of the competing technology firm that Nicole was last collecting information about before she left Pierce's company?
5. What nickname does Nicole use for Pierce?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pierce end up hanging upside down outside his apartment balcony in Chapter 19?
2. Who is in Lilly's apartment when Pierce arrives? What is he packing up? Why?
3. How does Pierce convince Robin in Chapter 12 to take him to the apartment where Lilly worked with clients?
4. Why does Pierce go to All American Mail in Chapter 7? Why does he lie about wanting a mail box there?
5. In a dream, Pierce finds himself in a crack house looking for someone. What does this dream tell the reader about Pierce?
6. Why does Pierce think of rock stars, especially Jimi Hendrix, as he lies injured in his bedroom at the end of Chapter 20?
7. What is Amedeo attempting to develop in their labs as Pierce explains it to Monica in Chapter 11?
8. Why does Pierce go to visit his college friend, Cody Zeller? What does he want Cody to do for him?
9. Why did Robin call and leave a message for Pierce in Chapter 16? What does she reveal to Pierce about herself during a subsequent phone call?
10. Why does Clyde Vernon grill Pierce on his breakup with Nicole?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What crime did Pierce commit in college? For what reason? Was he punished? How is this crime connected to Cody Zeller? What is the nature of the relationship between Pierce and Zeller? Why does Pierce turn to Zeller when he wants to learn more about Lilly and the corporation that owns the website where her webpage appears? Does Zeller help him? How does Zeller turn out to be connected to this corporation? Why did he not tell Pierce the truth? Who really killed Lilly? For what reason? How did Zeller learn about Pierce's guilt for his sister? Why did Zeller use it against Pierce? What was Zeller's intended reward for setting Pierce up?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following in detail using quotes from the novel where appropriate:
1) Point of View
Essay Topic 3
What is Proteus? Who created it? What is its purpose? What could Proteus do to the future of medicine and computer technology? Who would want to steal Proteus? Why does Zeller want to steal it? What does Zeller plan to do with it? For what reason? Why does Pierce quickly file the patents that will protect Proteus? What does Pierce hope this will do to protect Proteus? Who else is in on the plan to steal Proteus? What does this mean to the future of Amedeo?
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)