|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who accompanied Reverend Gurley when it was time to tell Mary Todd Lincoln that her husband Abraham Lincoln had died?
(a) Robert Lincoln.
(b) Laura Keene.
(c) Tad Lincoln.
(d) Dr. Samuel Mudd.
2. Who was sent to fetch Thomas Jones in hopes that he would help John Wilkes Booth and David Herold in their next escape step?
(a) Captain Samuel Cox's uncle.
(b) Captain Samuel Cox's wife.
(c) Captain Samuel Cox's sister.
(d) Captain Samuel Cox's son.
3. What signal did Captain Samuel Cox tell David Herold and John Wilkes Booth that someone they could trust would use as they approached the forest hiding place?
(a) A five-note whistle.
(b) A three-note whistle.
(c) A two-note-whistle.
(d) The hoot of an owl.
4. Where did John Wilkes Booth and David Herold go once they secured a wagon, a team of horses, and a driver?
(a) Port Oslow.
(b) Port Conway.
(c) Port Washington.
(d) Port Orchard.
5. What was Dr. RIchard Stuart's reaction to John Wilkes Booth's request for shelter for George Atzerodt and himself?
(a) He ordered them to leave his house immediately.
(b) He agreed to house them and rented them a team of horses for the next leg of their flight.
(c) He refused to feed them, but did agree to house them.
(d) He refused to house them, but did agree to feed them.
6. What sound did John Wilkes Booth hear during Thomas Jones' visit to the forest hideout that terrified him?
(a) The sounds of screeching owls.
(b) The sounds of crackling fire and men's voices.
(c) The sounds of gunfire in the distance.
(d) The sounds of clanking metal and horses' hooves pounding the earth.
7. Who shot John Wilkes Booth?
(a) David Herold.
(b) Boston Corbett.
(c) Lafayette Baker.
(d) John Garrett.
8. What was the name of the prison where all of the assassination co-conspirators were sent once captured?
(a) San Quentin Prison.
(b) Leavenworth Prison.
(c) Old Capitol Prison.
(d) Sing Sing Prison.
9. When Dr. Samuel Mudd learned that John Wilkes Booth had assassinated Abraham Lincoln, he did not betray Booth to the soldiers he faced. He did, however, take what action when he returned to his farm where Booth was hiding from the law?
(a) He threatened Booth with a knife.
(b) He shot Booth in the leg.
(c) He sent out smoke signals to the cavalry about Booth's whereabouts.
(d) He angrily told Booth to leave his farm immediately.
10. When Secretary of War Edwin Stanton realized that he could not continue with the manhunt for the assassins since he had so many other duties to take care of, to whom does he delegate the manhunt responsibility?
(a) Ulysses S. Grant.
(b) Lieutenant Lafayette Baker.
(c) Lewis Powell.
(d) John Surratt.
11. What was the name of John Wilkes Booth's sister, whose home detectives raided in an effort to find anything associated with John Wilkes Booth?
(a) China Booth Clarke.
(b) Botswana Booth Clarke.
(c) Asia Booth Clarke.
(d) India Booth Clarke.
12. In addition to food, what other items did Thomas Jones bring to John Wilkes Booth and David Herold in their forest hiding place, much to John Wilkes Booth's delight?
13. Though Thomas Jones refused to accept all of the money that John Wilkes Booth offered to him, he did take enough to cover the cost of the getaway boat. How much money did he accept?
14. What was the name of Richard H. Garrett's farm?
(a) Mantis Hill.
(b) Ladybird Hill.
(c) Arachnid Hill.
(d) Locust Hill.
15. What color were the horses that drew the carriage carrying Abraham Lincoln's coffin in the funeral procession?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which newspaper had John Wilkes Booth named to his friend as the one he wanted to publish his letter about his assassination of Abraham Lincoln?
2. When John Wilkes Booth first met Thomas Jones, what did John Wilkes Booth say about his own possible capture?
3. How did John Wilkes Booth gain shelter for the night at the home of Lucas, the African-American neighbor of Dr. Richard Stuart?
4. What lie did Dr. Samuel Mudd tell the soldiers in an attempt to lead them on a wild goose chase and throw them off the trail of John Wilkes Booth?
5. When John Wilkes Booth became agitated upon seeing riders pass the Garretts' farm, whom did he ask to retrieve his pistols and gun belt?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)