|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what date did Abraham Lincoln's funeral take place?
(a) April 14, 1865.
(b) April 1, 1865.
(c) April 19, 1865.
(d) April 30, 1865.
2. Who was sent to fetch Thomas Jones in hopes that he would help John Wilkes Booth and David Herold in their next escape step?
(a) Captain Samuel Cox's wife.
(b) Captain Samuel Cox's son.
(c) Captain Samuel Cox's sister.
(d) Captain Samuel Cox's uncle.
3. When John Wilkes Booth became agitated upon seeing riders pass the Garretts' farm, whom did he ask to retrieve his pistols and gun belt?
(a) George Atzerodt.
(b) Alma Garrett.
(c) Richard H. Garrett.
(d) Richard Garrett, Jr.
4. What sound did John Wilkes Booth hear during Thomas Jones' visit to the forest hideout that terrified him?
(a) The sounds of gunfire in the distance.
(b) The sounds of clanking metal and horses' hooves pounding the earth.
(c) The sounds of crackling fire and men's voices.
(d) The sounds of screeching owls.
5. Where did John Wilkes Booth and David Herold go once they secured a wagon, a team of horses, and a driver?
(a) Port Washington.
(b) Port Oslow.
(c) Port Conway.
(d) Port Orchard.
6. What joke did George Atzerodt make that caused a guest at the midday meal to report him to the authorities?
(a) He joked that he had been friends with David Herold.
(b) He joked that he admired John Wilkes Booth.
(c) He joked that he had a plan to assassinate newly-appointed President Andrew Johnson.
(d) He joked that he had assassinated Abraham Lincoln.
7. What happened when Thomas Jones arrived in Richmond, Virginia in April of 1865 with the intention of completing his intended task?
(a) The Confederate army had already evacuated the city and he went unpaid for his three years of service.
(b) His wife had found another man while he was in prison.
(c) John Wilkes Booth rebuffed his offer of help with the assassination plot.
(d) He discovered that he did not enjoy being a blacksmith.
8. What set of items did Dr. Samuel Mudd make for John Wilkes Booth before he sent him away from the Mudd Farm?
(a) A pair of crutches.
(b) A pair of spurs.
(c) A pair of suspenders.
(d) A pair of six-shooters.
9. What did George Atzerodt purchase during his trip into Bowling Green?
(a) A pillow.
(b) A pair of suspenders.
(c) A belt.
(d) A new pair of shoes.
10. After Thomas Jones had been released from jail in April of 1865, for what purpose did he visit Richmond, Virginia?
(a) To reunite with his wife and children.
(b) To join in the assassination plot.
(c) To collect the money owed to him by the Confederacy.
(d) To learn the trade of blacksmithing.
11. To whose house did John Wilkes Booth and David Herold flee once Dr. Samuel Mudd had insisted they leave his farm?
(a) Lewis Powell.
(b) Mary Surratt.
(c) George Atzerodt.
(d) Captain Samuel Cox.
12. What was the name of John Wilkes Booth's sister, whose home detectives raided in an effort to find anything associated with John Wilkes Booth?
(a) Asia Booth Clarke.
(b) Botswana Booth Clarke.
(c) China Booth Clarke.
(d) India Booth Clarke.
13. When Thomas Jones brought newspapers to the assassins' hideout in the forest, what about the newspapers' reports on Lewis Powell's attack on William Seward surprised John Wilkes Booth?
(a) They were outdated by more than a week, so they did not mention the assassination attempt at all.
(b) Lewis Powell had not gotten away and had been immediately imprisoned.
(c) Lewis Powell had attacked not only William Seward, but his sons, his daughter, and his nurse.
(d) The newspapers had printed the article about the assassination plot that Lewis Powell had sent to them.
14. What two reasons does James L. Swanson cite for an autopsy having been performed on Abraham Lincoln, though it was clear what had caused his death?
(a) The doctors were paid by opportunists to perform the autopsy and they were experiencing morbid curiosity.
(b) The doctors wanted to study the effects of epilepsy and they were experiencing morbid curiosity.
(c) The doctors had to perform an autopsy by law since it had been a homicide and they wanted the bullet.
(d) The doctors wanted the bullet and they were experiencing morbid curiosity.
15. Where were citizens permitted to view Abraham Lincoln's open casket?
(a) In the courtyard of the Executive Mansion.
(b) In the Oval Office of the Executive Mansion.
(c) Under the great dome inside the Capitol Building.
(d) In the Petersen Boarding House.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the first person the soldiers questioned when they reached the Mudd Farm?
2. Whose house did George Atzerodt visit for a midday meal late on Easter morning?
3. Which two co-conspirators did George Atzerodt implicate once he was caught by the authorities and confessed to his crimes?
4. What time of day did Thomas Jones think would be the best time for John Wilkes Booth and David Herold to cross the river and escape into the next state?
5. How did John Wilkes Booth gain shelter for the night at the home of Lucas, the African-American neighbor of Dr. Richard Stuart?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)