|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What episode is Dennis reminded of when the minister tries to bribe him?
2. What does Dennis do when he comes into Maeve's house?
3. What does Maeve's father tell Maeve about Billy's asking her to go out after dinner?
4. What self-centered behavior do Dennis' children exhibit after their mother dies?
5. Who had sent Maeve the item stuck in the mirror?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the person who ultimately brings some calm to the mourners at Maeve's house?
2. What happens when Maeve hears Dennis' voice in the house?
3. How does Dennis respond when his daughter asks him about his faith now?
4. How did a friendship between Maeve and Dennis begin to form?
5. What is the setting for Chapter 7?
6. What does the episode with the black minister remind Dennis of?
7. What shocking information does Billy get in the flashback in Chapter 12?
8. How does Dennis' faith in Billy's dream extend past practicality?
9. Explain the role of Maeve's father in her relationship with Billy.
10. How would Billy's life had been different had he married Eva, at least according to Dan Lynch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the irony of Dennis' decision to tell Billy that Eva had died. What was Dennis intention? What was the short term result? What was the long term result? How did Dennis contribute to Benny's death? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The Long Island house almost becomes a character in the book because it plays such an important role in the story. Explain how an inanimate object can be a character in a story and how the house "interacted" with the "other" characters. Cite three examples to support your claim.
Essay Topic 3
Although Billy's true love was always Eva, he married Maeve because he knew she was a good, loyal woman. Explain whether Billy did Maeve a service or disservice by marrying her. Why would Maeve choose to live with a man who was not deeply in love with her? Did she do a service or disservice to herself by marrying Billy? Explain.
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)