|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Billy directions?
2. What happened to Maeve when she used to help Billy to bed when he was drunk?
3. The first time Billy had gone to dinner at Maeve's, she spills ______________ on the floor.
4. Who identifies Billy's body on the day he dies?
5. What does Maeve do when she hears Dennis' voice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the episode with the black minister remind Dennis of?
2. What shocking information does Billy get in the flashback in Chapter 12?
3. Explain the role of Maeve's father in her relationship with Billy.
4. What does Maeve recall doing to insure that she would see Billy more than once?
5. What happens when Maeve hears Dennis' voice in the house?
6. Who is the person who ultimately brings some calm to the mourners at Maeve's house?
7. How does this chapter exemplify the differences between how families have changed between Dennis' generation and that of his children?
8. What does Eva tell Billy about her deception?
9. How does Dennis' faith in Billy's dream extend past practicality?
10. How did a friendship between Maeve and Dennis begin to form?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Long Island house almost becomes a character in the book because it plays such an important role in the story. Explain how an inanimate object can be a character in a story and how the house "interacted" with the "other" characters. Cite three examples to support your claim.
Essay Topic 2
Billy wanted desperately to bring Eva to America not only because he loved her but also because it would improve her quality of life. Describe the experience of Eva and her family in Ireland. Why would they have wanted to come to America? Was Billy's dream feasible at all? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of religion in the characters' lives. What is the primary religion of the main characters? How do the characters practice their faith? Does it shake them when their faith waxes and wanes in their lives? Cite examples.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)