|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dennis' daughter knows that Dennis wants to tell Dan _______________________.
2. Where does Billy ask Maeve to go after dinner?
3. Dennis' daughter is not sure Dennis __________________________.
4. With whom does Dennis' daughter fall in love?
5. Who would help Maeve get Billy to bed when he was drunk?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this chapter exemplify the differences between how families have changed between Dennis' generation and that of his children?
2. How does Dennis respond when his daughter asks him about his faith now?
3. What does Maeve share about the night that Billy died?
4. Explain the role of Maeve's father in her relationship with Billy.
5. What happens when Dennis makes a service call to a black church?
6. When does Dennis admit to losing his faith?
7. Explain the symbolism of the postcard Billy sent Maeve many years ago.
8. How would Billy's life had been different had he married Eva, at least according to Dan Lynch?
9. What happens when Maeve hears Dennis' voice in the house?
10. What is Dennis' daughter's relationship with Matt, the tenant's son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Billy's true love was always Eva, he married Maeve because he knew she was a good, loyal woman. Explain whether Billy did Maeve a service or disservice by marrying her. Why would Maeve choose to live with a man who was not deeply in love with her? Did she do a service or disservice to herself by marrying Billy? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Just prior to meeting Eva, Billy and Dennis return home from World War II. Explain the significance of this war on America in general and Billy and Dennis specifically. What impact did the war have on the choices that Billy and Dennis made? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several instances of irony in the book. One example is the funeral dinner held at a bar for Billy who died from alcohol poisoning. Cite at least three other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)