|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eva tells Billy that Mary _____________________________.
2. What does Dan Lynch insist of Dennis and his daughter?
3. Where does Billy stop for directions while driving in Ireland?
4. What do most people tell Dennis to do after his wife dies?
5. Eva tells Billy that Mary has been married ________ times.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting for Chapter 7?
2. How does Dennis' faith in Billy's dream extend past practicality?
3. How does this chapter exemplify the differences between how families have changed between Dennis' generation and that of his children?
4. What is Dennis' daughter's relationship with Matt, the tenant's son?
5. What does Dennis' daughter find in Maeve's bedroom?
6. How would Billy's life had been different had he married Eva, at least according to Dan Lynch?
7. Explain the symbolism of the postcard Billy sent Maeve many years ago.
8. When does Dennis admit to losing his faith?
9. How does the theme of love extend in Chapter 8?
10. What does the episode with the black minister remind Dennis of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of religion in the characters' lives. What is the primary religion of the main characters? How do the characters practice their faith? Does it shake them when their faith waxes and wanes in their lives? Cite examples.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of love. Identify at least two themes about love in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Alcohol abuse seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the abuse? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? How does it affect the abusers? How does it affect those impacted by the abusers? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)