|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Billy coerce one of the little girls to go to bed?
2. What is Sheila's priority in her life now?
3. What does Dennis' daughter agree to do with Matt?
4. What did Eva's sister show to Dennis one night?
5. What event has just occurred at the beginning of Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the mood of the lunch when Dennis and his daughter take Billy after they pick him up at the train station?
2. What shocking news had Dennis received from Eva's sister, Mary?
3. How does Dennis' desire to see Billy succeed impact Dennis negatively?
4. Where does Dennis take Billy to tell him the truth about Eva?
5. Explain the variances on the theme of love in Chapter 6.
6. What is revealed about Maeve's history and character in Chapter 6?
7. Explain the foreshadowing of Dennis' daughter meeting Matt in Chapter 3.
8. What is the setting for Chapter 1?
9. What had Sheila's life been like after her parents died?
10. How do Dennis and Billy meet the two sisters from Ireland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the irony of Dennis' decision to tell Billy that Eva had died. What was Dennis intention? What was the short term result? What was the long term result? How did Dennis contribute to Benny's death? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Billy wanted desperately to bring Eva to America not only because he loved her but also because it would improve her quality of life. Describe the experience of Eva and her family in Ireland. Why would they have wanted to come to America? Was Billy's dream feasible at all? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of Dennis' daughter? Why is she never named? Why does the author use her to help steer the story instead of any of the other characters? Explain.
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)