|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Eva do with the money Billy had been sending her to come to America?
2. Which of the following is not a reason that Dennis lies to Billy?
3. What is Sheila's priority in her life now?
4. Dennis knows that his mother always felt _____________ as a child.
5. What do Dennis and Billy do every day after their work on the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Billy's behavior is not far fetched, given the post-war climate they live in.
2. How does the relationship between the Irish girls and Dennis and Billy evolve?
3. Why does Dennis decide to tell Billy that Eva had died?
4. How does Billy's promise to Eva come about?
5. What arrangements has Dennis made to be at the Long Island house when Billy returns from Ireland in 1975?
6. How has Dennis' mother, Sheila, finally feel happy in her life?
7. What do Billy's relatives recall about him at the bar?
8. Explain the foreshadowing of Dennis' daughter meeting Matt in Chapter 3.
9. What is the mood of the lunch when Dennis and his daughter take Billy after they pick him up at the train station?
10. What is revealed about Maeve's history and character in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Long Island house almost becomes a character in the book because it plays such an important role in the story. Explain how an inanimate object can be a character in a story and how the house "interacted" with the "other" characters. Cite three examples to support your claim.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of love. Identify at least two themes about love in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Billy wanted desperately to bring Eva to America not only because he loved her but also because it would improve her quality of life. Describe the experience of Eva and her family in Ireland. Why would they have wanted to come to America? Was Billy's dream feasible at all? Explain.
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)