|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes into the shoe store on the day Billy picks out shoes for Eva and her sisters?
2. What does Eva send Billy when he requests shoe sizes?
3. What was the nature of Eva's death according to Dennis?
4. Who were the girls that Billy and Dennis had met while swimming in the bay many years ago?
5. How did Dennis' wife die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the fate of the Irish girl?
2. Where does Dennis take Billy to tell him the truth about Eva?
3. How does Dennis' desire to see Billy succeed impact Dennis negatively?
4. Why does Dennis want to protect Billy's dream of Eva from his mother, Sheila?
5. Explain the variances on the theme of love in Chapter 6.
6. How has Dennis' mother, Sheila, finally feel happy in her life?
7. What was Billy's habit of writing notes to people?
8. Explain the foreshadowing of Dennis' daughter meeting Matt in Chapter 3.
9. How do Dennis and Billy meet the two sisters from Ireland?
10. What is revealed about Maeve's history and character in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of religion in the characters' lives. What is the primary religion of the main characters? How do the characters practice their faith? Does it shake them when their faith waxes and wanes in their lives? Cite examples.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the nature of this book and why the author created it the way she did. Why did she choose to create the book based on the perspectives of more than one person? Is it effective? How is it different from reading a regular novel? How is it the same?
Essay Topic 3
Explain what you think Billy meant when he inscribed the post card to Maeve with "Beautiful Friend." What this as much tenderness as he could muster for his wife of so many years? Or did Billy have the gift of Irish romanticism in his soul? Which do you prefer to believe? Why?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)