|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Dennis and Billy do before returning to their jobs?
2. What does Billy tell Dennis while at lunch?
3. What did Eva die of according to Billy's sister, Kate?
4. What was the cause of death of the person whose funeral has just been held?
5. Dennis knows that his mother always felt _____________ as a child.
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Dennis and Billy meet the two sisters from Ireland?
2. How does Sheila meet Daniel?
3. Explain the variances on the theme of love in Chapter 6.
4. What is the irony of Billy's alcoholism?
5. What is revealed about Maeve's history and character in Chapter 6?
6. What job do Dennis and Billy take on after they return from the war in 1945?
7. Explain the foreshadowing of Dennis' daughter meeting Matt in Chapter 3.
8. What was Billy's habit of writing notes to people?
9. What insight does this chapter provide about Billy's character?
10. Who is the Irish girl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Maeve Lynch. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Maeve?
Essay Topic 2
Explain what you think Billy meant when he inscribed the post card to Maeve with "Beautiful Friend." What this as much tenderness as he could muster for his wife of so many years? Or did Billy have the gift of Irish romanticism in his soul? Which do you prefer to believe? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Although Billy's true love was always Eva, he married Maeve because he knew she was a good, loyal woman. Explain whether Billy did Maeve a service or disservice by marrying her. Why would Maeve choose to live with a man who was not deeply in love with her? Did she do a service or disservice to herself by marrying Billy? Explain.
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)