|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Zuckerman ask Lurvy to start building a crate for Wilbur?
2. Which of the following is not a way that Charlotte's egg sac is described?
3. Why does Charlotte say Uncle will be hard for Wilbur to beat?
4. What does Charlotte ask Templeton to bring her back from the fair?
5. At the end of Chapter 18, how does Fern feel about the time she spent at the Fair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate Templeton's character and the role he plays in the story. Most of the characters think of him as a glutton who only helps others to help himself, but are there any examples of him acting selflessly? Does he always expect some sort of reward for the work he does, even if the reward is just amusement? How does Templeton feel about Charlotte and Wilbur and they about him? Does he have any friends or act out of real friendship toward any of the other characters? If he is just a selfish rat, what does it say about the world that someone so self-centered could do so many things to save and change another animal's life?
Essay Topic 2
How can Charlotte's webs be thought of as both a symbol of life and a symbol of death? Be sure to explain how the things they symbolize affect the meaning of the narrative and to use specific examples from the text to back up your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Who is the protagonist of the story: Wilbur, Charlotte, or both? Think about what it means to be the protagonist of a story and support your thesis with specific examples and details from the story.
This section contains 1,507 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)