|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fern want when everyone is preparing to take Wilbur to the judges' stand to receive a special award?
2. In what does Fern's mother get interested in spite of herself?
3. What is the oldest sheep's idea for how Charlotte can get ideas for more words to write in her web?
4. What does Charlotte ask Templeton to bring her back from the fair?
5. For whom does Charlotte say she is making her masterpiece?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay discussing what Charlotte's Web has to say on the subject of fame. Include discussion of issues such as how people (and pigs) might achieve fame, what some beneficial and hurtful byproducts and effects of fame might be, and how fame might change people (and pigs) either for the better or the worse.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay examining mother-child relationships in this book, focusing on such relationships as Fern/Wilbur, Charlotte/Wilbur, Fern/Mrs. Arable, Charlotte/Charlotte's children, and the goose/the goslings. How are these relationships alike and different? How do some change over time? What does it mean to be a mother or a child in this book? Are motherhood and childhood different for humans than for animals?
Essay Topic 3
Is there a moral to this story, and if so, what is it? Can it be summed up in a sentence? Does a character state it outright, or must the reader piece it together from the experience of reading the book? Use specific examples from the text to support your opinion.
This section contains 1,475 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)