|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Wilbur saddened by his new friend?
(a) She doesn't like Fern.
(b) He thinks she is bloodthirsty.
(c) She can't spend very much time with him.
(d) She is mean and teases him.
2. What does Avery ask for after he sees Fern's new pet?
(a) A new wooden dagger.
(b) A pig of his own.
(c) The puppy he has wanted for months.
(d) A new air rifle.
3. Why does Mrs. Arable say Mr. Arable is probably right to kill the pig?
(a) The family needs the money the pig's meat will bring.
(b) It is mean and will hurt the other animals.
(c) It will taste delicious.
(d) It is probably going to die anyway.
4. Which of the following is not a defense Charlotte offers for her way of life -- catching bugs and eating them?
(a) No one brings her her meals the way Wilbur is fed every day.
(b) If she didn't eat flies and bugs, they would grow so numerous they would destroy the earth.
(c) The other spiders will make fun of her if she doesn't eat bugs.
(d) Flies and bugs are what come to her.
5. What happens once news of Charlotte's web spreads?
(a) Exterminators show up and offer to get rid of Charlotte.
(b) Mr. Zuckerman pleads with Charlotte to weave another, bigger web.
(c) People are spooked and begin to avoid the Zuckermans.
(d) People come from all around to see Wilbur and the web.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the owner of the voice Wilbur hears at the end of Chapter 4, when will Wilbur see him/her?
2. How does the rain in Chapter 4 disrupt Wilbur's plans?
3. How would you describe Mr. Zuckerman's initial reaction to Charlotte's web?
4. What spider body part does Charlotte teach Wilbur about?
5. What does Mr. Arable say when Fern pleads with him to not kill the pig?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Wilbur's boast and how does Fern feel when she hears him make it?
2. What kind of a father is Mr. Arable described as being?
3. How grown-up is Wilbur by the end of Chapter 3?
4. What is most remarkable about Wilbur's daily routine?
5. Are the goose and the gander more sentimental or more practical? Why do you think as you do?
6. How does Charlotte explain that spider webs are a good thing?
7. What effect does Charlotte's web have on the farm?
8. What is Charlotte's impression of people?
9. For what reason was Mr. Arable going to kill the runt?
10. How does Wilbur act during his "escape"?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)