|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Avery at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) By the pond, catching frogs.
(b) In the farmyard, bothering the animals.
(c) Behind the barn, whittling sticks.
(d) Upstairs, looking for his slingshot.
2. What does Wilbur witness Charlotte catch in her web in Chapter 5?
(a) An ant.
(b) A fly.
(c) A bee.
(d) A mosquito.
3. Why is Wilbur unconcerned that he has been growing bigger?
(a) He still can squeeze under the rails of the fence in the yard.
(b) He says that as the runt of the litter, he had a lot of catching up to do.
(c) He is still very skinny.
(d) He says that at his age it's a good idea to keep gaining.
4. Why does Fern worry about Wilbur when her father first moves him outside?
(a) She thinks other animals will bother him.
(b) She thinks he will run away.
(c) She thinks he will be cold at night.
(d) She thinks he will be lonely.
5. What does Charlotte say is the dirtiest trick she ever heard of?
(a) People planning to kill pigs.
(b) The old sheep teasing Wilbur.
(c) Fern planning to sell Wilbur to get money for Christmas presents.
(d) Templeton sneaking all the best bits out of Wilbur's food trough.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wilbur want in Chapter 4?
2. Which of the following is not a reason the lamb gives for not playing with Wilbur?
3. Before Charlotte speaks up, who is going to help Wilbur calm down after receiving the bad news?
4. Who ties a string to Wilbur's tail and why?
5. Why is Wilbur saddened by his new friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the other animals feel about the fact that Templeton would have no problem with killing a baby gosling?
2. How does Mrs. Arable feel about all the time Fern is spending in the barn?
3. Why does Wilbur have so much trouble sleeping at the beginning of Chapter 5?
4. How do people react to Charlotte's first web?
5. What is the explosion mentioned in Chapter 10's title, and why is it important?
6. For what reason was Mr. Arable going to kill the runt?
7. What is the relationship like between Fern and the animals at the beginning of Chapter 8?
8. How would you describe the relationship between Fern and Wilbur in Chapter 2?
9. Why does Wilbur like Charlotte better and better each day?
10. How might the goose's personality be described?
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)