|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not something Fern does when she comes to visit Wilbur?
(a) She does not watch Wilbur.
(b) She does not sing.
(c) She does not listen.
(d) She does not sit and think.
2. What is Wilbur's first bed?
(a) A pillow in the hall closet.
(b) A box in the woodshed.
(c) A box near the stove in the kitchen.
(d) A blanket in the corner of Fern's room.
3. Except for the goose, who is the first to know the goslings have hatched?
(a) The gander is the first.
(b) Wilbur is the first.
(c) Charlotte is the first.
(d) Fern is the first.
4. What does Avery ask for after he sees Fern's new pet?
(a) The puppy he has wanted for months.
(b) A new air rifle.
(c) A new wooden dagger.
(d) A pig of his own.
5. How does Mrs. Arable respond to the idea of Fern believing that animals can talk?
(a) She doesn't think it is normal and plans to tell Fern's doctor.
(b) She isn't interested or concerned.
(c) She is delighted by her daughter's imagination.
(d) She thinks Fern is acting out to get attention.
6. Who ties a string to Wilbur's tail and why?
(a) Charlotte ties the string so Wilbur can pretend to be a spider.
(b) Templeton ties the string so Wilbur can try to spin a web.
(c) Fern ties the string so Wilbur won't forget the upcoming County Fair.
(d) Mr. Zuckerman ties the string to fasten Wilbur to the fence so he won't wander off.
7. What do Fern and Avery play on in Mr. Zuckerman's barn?
(a) The ladder to the hay loft.
(b) A swing.
(c) An old wagon.
(d) Hay bales.
8. What does Mr. Arable say Fern will see once he agrees to let her raise the baby pig?
(a) What dirty creatures pigs are.
(b) How hard it is not to want to eat a pig once it gets big and fat.
(c) What trouble a pig will be.
(d) How mean and ornery pigs can be.
9. Which of the following is not a reason the lamb gives for not playing with Wilbur?
(a) The lamb is not interested in pigs.
(b) The lamb doesn't play with pigs.
(c) The lamb can't get into Wilbur's pen.
(d) The lamb is already busy playing with a calf.
10. How many goslings hatch from the goose's eggs?
(a) Ten hatch.
(b) Eight hatch.
(c) Four hatch.
(d) Seven hatch.
11. Why does Fern worry about Wilbur when her father first moves him outside?
(a) She thinks he will be cold at night.
(b) She thinks he will be lonely.
(c) She thinks other animals will bother him.
(d) She thinks he will run away.
12. What does Wilbur do to try to find his mysterious new friend?
(a) Ask the party who addressed him the night before to give him a sign.
(b) Look under the hay and behind his food trough.
(c) Ask Templeton if he saw anything suspicious the night before.
(d) Wake up each animal one by one and ask him or her if he or she is the friend.
13. How does Fern feel about being entrusted with the care of a baby pig?
(a) Angry and put-upon.
(b) Blissful and lucky.
(c) Worried about the responsibility.
(d) Unbothered because she plans to make her parents take care of it.
14. Where is Avery at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) Behind the barn, whittling sticks.
(b) Upstairs, looking for his slingshot.
(c) By the pond, catching frogs.
(d) In the farmyard, bothering the animals.
15. What does Wilbur witness Charlotte catch in her web in Chapter 5?
(a) An ant.
(b) A fly.
(c) A bee.
(d) A mosquito.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Fern change her sneakers?
2. What is not something the author mentions Wilbur does to pass his days in Chapter 7?
3. What does the author say Templeton would do if he could get away with it?
4. What does Wilbur want in Chapter 4?
5. What happens once news of Charlotte's web spreads?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)