|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charlotte say is the dirtiest trick she ever heard of?
(a) People planning to kill pigs.
(b) Templeton sneaking all the best bits out of Wilbur's food trough.
(c) The old sheep teasing Wilbur.
(d) Fern planning to sell Wilbur to get money for Christmas presents.
2. Which of the following is not someone bothered by flies?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Zuckerman are not bothered.
(b) The cows are not bothered.
(c) Fern is not bothered.
(d) The sheep are not bothered.
3. Why does Fern worry about Wilbur when her father first moves him outside?
(a) She thinks other animals will bother him.
(b) She thinks he will be cold at night.
(c) She thinks he will be lonely.
(d) She thinks he will run away.
4. How does Wilbur escape from the yard?
(a) By tunneling under the fence.
(b) By squeezing through a loose board in the fence.
(c) By walking through an open gate.
(d) By knocking Mr. Zuckerman over.
5. How would you describe Mr. Zuckerman's initial reaction to Charlotte's web?
(a) He is furious.
(b) He is shaken.
(c) He is delighted.
(d) He is unconcerned.
6. Why does Templeton say he won't break the egg?
(a) He doesn't want to ruin his other things.
(b) He handles stuff like this all the time.
(c) He doesn't want to upset the goose and gander.
(d) He doesn't want to make the barn smell bad.
7. What season is it on the farm at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) It is fall.
(b) It is winter.
(c) It is spring.
(d) It is summer.
8. How does Fern describe Charlotte to her parents?
(a) A creepy, bloodthirsty pest.
(b) A tiny spider, who is not very important compared to the other animals.
(c) Wilbur's best friend, who is terribly clever.
(d) A wise teacher.
9. What spider body part does Charlotte teach Wilbur about?
(a) The abdomen.
(b) The fangs.
(c) The eyes.
(d) The legs.
10. Why does Mrs. Arable think having Wilbur go live with the Zuckermans is a good idea?
(a) Fern can walk down the road and visit Wilbur as often as she likes.
(b) Mrs. Arable thinks it is a terrible idea.
(c) Once Wilbur is sent away, Fern will forget all about him.
(d) They will promise not to kill him.
11. What recent barnyard event does Fern tell her parents about at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) The old sheep getting sheared.
(b) Charlotte weaving a beautiful web.
(c) The goslings hatching.
(d) Wilbur learning how to escape his yard.
12. Why does everyone watch Templeton when he first approaches the goose?
(a) They are waiting for him to do something funny.
(b) He is yelling for them to watch him.
(c) He is not well liked or trusted.
(d) They are afraid the goose will hurt Templeton.
13. How does Mr. Zuckerman describe Charlotte's web?
(a) A mess.
(b) A gold mine.
(c) An abomination.
(d) A miracle.
14. What does Wilbur do to try to find his mysterious new friend?
(a) Ask the party who addressed him the night before to give him a sign.
(b) Look under the hay and behind his food trough.
(c) Wake up each animal one by one and ask him or her if he or she is the friend.
(d) Ask Templeton if he saw anything suspicious the night before.
15. What is Charlotte's middle initial?
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does the old sheep give for why the people are fattening Wilbur up?
2. How does Mrs. Arable respond to the idea of Fern believing that animals can talk?
3. What is the first question Fern asks her mother in the book?
4. What reason does Charlotte give Wilbur for why he doesn't need a web?
5. How does the author describe the voice Wilbur hears at the end of Chapter 4?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)