|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Wilbur feel at first about being outside his fence?
(a) He is so excited he decides to run all the way to Fern's house.
(b) He is terrified of the world outside.
(c) He is angry he never thought to escape before.
(d) It feels queer to have nothing between him and the open world.
2. What does Charlotte do when Templeton takes the last egg away?
(a) She frowns and says, "No good will come of this."
(b) She warns the rest of the animals to watch their things.
(c) She asks if she can have an egg next time.
(d) She laughs and says "A rat is a rat."
3. Who tells Wilbur he doesn't have to stay in his yard?
(a) The gander tells him.
(b) Fern tells him.
(c) Mr. Zuckerman tells him.
(d) The goose tells him.
4. What reason does Charlotte give Wilbur for why he doesn't need a web?
(a) Zuckerman feeds him.
(b) He wouldn't like how bugs taste.
(c) He already has a nice place to sleep.
(d) It's too much of a bother to take care of.
5. How does Fern say Wilbur feels about Charlotte?
(a) She says Wilbur is spooked by her.
(b) She says Wilbur adores her.
(c) She says Wilbur tolerates her.
(d) She says Wilbur dislikes her.
6. What do Fern and Avery play on in Mr. Zuckerman's barn?
(a) Hay bales.
(b) An old wagon.
(c) A swing.
(d) The ladder to the hay loft.
7. What happens if Wilbur gets tired when he and Fern take walks?
(a) She carries him home in her arms.
(b) She pushes him in her doll carriage while he sleeps.
(c) She lets him rest in the grass while she climbs trees.
(d) She sits under a tree and settles him in her lap for a nap.
8. How does Fern like the barn best?
(a) When she can be all alone with her friends the animals.
(b) When it is early in the morning and the animals are just waking up.
(c) When it is warm and cozy inside while it is raining outside.
(d) When she can show her family around and introduce them to the animals.
9. What is Charlotte's idea for saving Wilbur?
(a) She will convince Fern to take him back.
(b) She will find someone to buy him from Zuckerman.
(c) She will help him escape under the fence.
(d) She will play a trick on Zuckerman.
10. How does Mr. Arable respond to the idea of Fern believing that animals can talk?
(a) He says he hears them talking, too.
(b) He tells Mrs. Arable Fern is spending too much time at the barn.
(c) He is worried something is wrong with her ears.
(d) He seems amused and says maybe animals do talk.
11. Which of the following is not one of Wilbur's plans for the day on which Chapter 4 opens?
(a) Running around for exercise.
(c) Chatting with Templeton the rat.
(d) Standing still and thinking about what it is like to be alive.
12. Why does Mrs. Arable think having Wilbur go live with the Zuckermans is a good idea?
(a) Once Wilbur is sent away, Fern will forget all about him.
(b) They will promise not to kill him.
(c) Mrs. Arable thinks it is a terrible idea.
(d) Fern can walk down the road and visit Wilbur as often as she likes.
13. Who is the first person to see what Charlotte has woven into her web?
(d) Mr. Zuckerman.
14. Why does everyone watch Templeton when he first approaches the goose?
(a) He is not well liked or trusted.
(b) He is yelling for them to watch him.
(c) They are waiting for him to do something funny.
(d) They are afraid the goose will hurt Templeton.
15. Charlotte tells Wilbur that she does her best thinking when?
(a) When she's spinning a new web.
(b) When she's ripping up an old web to make room for a new one.
(c) When she's hanging head-down at the top of her web.
(d) When she's sucking the blood of an insect.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say Templeton would do if he could get away with it?
2. Why can't the goose play with Wilbur?
3. How does the author describe a spider's web at the beginning of Chapter 9?
4. How does the author describe the voice Wilbur hears at the end of Chapter 4?
5. How many goslings hatch from the goose's eggs?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)