|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of the ways Fern takes care of Wilbur?
(a) Wipes his snout with a napkin.
(b) Warms his milk.
(c) Ties a bib on him.
(d) Holds a bottle for him.
2. Why can't Charlotte see Wilbur as clearly as he can see her?
(a) The lamb is blocking her view.
(b) He is hiding in a pile of straw.
(c) She is near-sighted.
(d) She is too busy spinning her web to look at him.
3. How does Templeton's rotten goose egg get broken?
(a) Lurvy finds it and throws it on the trash heap.
(b) Avery falls on the trough and smashes the egg beneath it.
(c) Wilbur accidentally steps on it.
(d) Avery finds the egg and throws it at the barn wall.
4. How does Mr. Arable respond to the idea of Fern believing that animals can talk?
(a) He tells Mrs. Arable Fern is spending too much time at the barn.
(b) He is worried something is wrong with her ears.
(c) He seems amused and says maybe animals do talk.
(d) He says he hears them talking, too.
5. Which of the following is not a defense Charlotte offers for her way of life -- catching bugs and eating them?
(a) No one brings her her meals the way Wilbur is fed every day.
(b) If she didn't eat flies and bugs, they would grow so numerous they would destroy the earth.
(c) Flies and bugs are what come to her.
(d) The other spiders will make fun of her if she doesn't eat bugs.
6. What are Fern and her parents doing at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) Cooking Saturday night dinner together.
(b) Picking berries from the garden together.
(c) Cleaning the house together.
(d) Having Sunday breakfast together.
7. What does Avery ask for after he sees Fern's new pet?
(a) The puppy he has wanted for months.
(b) A new wooden dagger.
(c) A new air rifle.
(d) A pig of his own.
8. Why does Mrs. Arable think having Wilbur go live with the Zuckermans is a good idea?
(a) They will promise not to kill him.
(b) Once Wilbur is sent away, Fern will forget all about him.
(c) Mrs. Arable thinks it is a terrible idea.
(d) Fern can walk down the road and visit Wilbur as often as she likes.
9. At the beginning of Chapter 7, how does Charlotte's campaign against insects seem to Wilbur?
(a) Silly and misguided.
(b) Bloodthirsty and disgusting.
(c) Sensible and useful.
(d) Mean and spiteful.
10. What does the Zuckermans' barn mostly smell of?
(a) It mostly smells of new rope.
(b) It mostly smells of hay.
(c) It mostly smells of fish.
(d) It mostly smells of manure.
11. What damage does Wilbur cause outside his fence?
(a) He pulls Mrs. Zuckerman's hanging laundry into a mud puddle.
(b) He plows up some ground with his nose.
(c) He scares a flock of chickens.
(d) He eats a bunch of crops.
12. How does Wilbur escape from the yard?
(a) By walking through an open gate.
(b) By knocking Mr. Zuckerman over.
(c) By squeezing through a loose board in the fence.
(d) By tunneling under the fence.
13. Which human first notices something is wrong with Wilbur?
(a) Mrs. Zuckerman notices.
(b) Mr. Zuckerman notices.
(c) Fern notices.
(d) Lurvy notices.
14. How would you describe Mr. Zuckerman's initial reaction to Charlotte's web?
(a) He is furious.
(b) He is shaken.
(c) He is unconcerned.
(d) He is delighted.
15. What does the author say Templeton would do if he could get away with it?
(a) Rip up Charlotte's web.
(b) Kill a gosling.
(c) Eat all of Wilbur's food.
(d) Steal all the eggs on the farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the goose say the last egg didn't hatch?
2. Charlotte tells Wilbur that she does her best thinking when?
3. How does Mrs. Arable respond to the idea of Fern believing that animals can talk?
4. What reason does Charlotte give Wilbur for why he doesn't need a web?
5. Whose speech does Fern repeat for her parents?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)