|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What recent barnyard event does Fern tell her parents about at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) The old sheep getting sheared.
(b) Wilbur learning how to escape his yard.
(c) Charlotte weaving a beautiful web.
(d) The goslings hatching.
2. Charlotte tells Wilbur that she does her best thinking when?
(a) When she's spinning a new web.
(b) When she's hanging head-down at the top of her web.
(c) When she's sucking the blood of an insect.
(d) When she's ripping up an old web to make room for a new one.
3. What does Charlotte promise Wilbur at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) That she will save him.
(b) That she will always be his friend.
(c) That she will make him the best Christmas present ever.
(d) That she will help him think of something nice to do for Fern.
4. What does Wilbur do every morning after breakfast?
(a) He takes a nap until lunchtime.
(b) He follows Mrs. Arable around as she cleans the house.
(c) He waits with Fern until her bus comes.
(d) He cries until Fern comes home for lunch.
5. What is not something the author mentions Wilbur does to pass his days in Chapter 7?
(a) Eat three meals a day.
(b) Lie down half asleep and dream pleasant dreams.
(c) Gain lots of weight.
(d) Roll around in the mud often.
6. What does the goose know about Wilbur's future that Wilbur does not yet?
(a) Charlotte is thinking about ways to ruin Wilbur's life.
(b) Mrs. Zuckerman is preparing to sell Wilbur behind Mr. Zuckerman's back.
(c) Templeton is planning to steal all of Wilbur's food.
(d) Mr. Zuckerman and Lurvy are plotting to kill him.
7. Why does everyone watch Templeton when he first approaches the goose?
(a) They are waiting for him to do something funny.
(b) He is not well liked or trusted.
(c) They are afraid the goose will hurt Templeton.
(d) He is yelling for them to watch him.
8. What are Fern and her parents doing at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) Having Sunday breakfast together.
(b) Cooking Saturday night dinner together.
(c) Picking berries from the garden together.
(d) Cleaning the house together.
9. How often does Mrs. Arable say Fern goes to the barn?
(a) Three times a day.
(b) Almost every afternoon.
(c) Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
(d) Once a week.
10. What does Wilbur want in Chapter 4?
(a) For the other animals to stop teasing him.
(b) Better food.
(c) A friend.
(d) For peace and quiet so he can take a nap.
11. How does Fern describe Charlotte to her parents?
(a) A tiny spider, who is not very important compared to the other animals.
(b) Wilbur's best friend, who is terribly clever.
(c) A wise teacher.
(d) A creepy, bloodthirsty pest.
12. In which season was Wilbur born?
(a) He was born in spring.
(b) He was born in winter.
(c) He was born in summer.
(d) He was born in fall.
13. Which of the following is not something that disturbs Wilbur when he is trying to sleep?
(a) The sound of Templeton gnawing a hole in the grain bin.
(b) The sound of the goose turning on her nest and clucking to herself.
(c) A bad tummy-ache from eating too much slop.
(d) Having many things on his mind.
14. What does Mrs. Arable do when Fern first claims that the animals talk?
(a) Laughs and asks to hear more.
(b) Ignores Fern and tells her to stop being silly.
(c) Gets bored and tells Fern to stop making up stories.
(d) Gazes at her with a queer, worried look.
15. Under what conditions does Mr. Zuckerman allow Fern to visit Wilbur?
(a) She must help out with chores around the farm.
(b) She can only come once a week.
(c) She must bring food for all the farm animals.
(d) She cannot let Wilbur out or enter his pigpen herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Charlotte give Wilbur for why he doesn't need a web?
2. Which of the following is not a reason Mr. Arable offers for why Fern must sell Wilbur?
3. Which of the following is not something Templeton prefers to spend his time doing?
4. Which of the following is not someone bothered by flies?
5. Why does Mrs. Arable say Mr. Arable is probably right to kill the pig?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)