|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Templeton say he won't break the egg?
(a) He handles stuff like this all the time.
(b) He doesn't want to make the barn smell bad.
(c) He doesn't want to upset the goose and gander.
(d) He doesn't want to ruin his other things.
2. What does Fern say at the beginning of the book that she sees no difference between?
(a) Killing a little girl and killing a little pig.
(b) Killing a spider and killing a little pig.
(c) Killing a calf and killing a little pig.
(d) Killing a full-grown pig and killing a little pig.
3. Which of the following is not someone bothered by flies?
(a) Fern is not bothered.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Zuckerman are not bothered.
(c) The cows are not bothered.
(d) The sheep are not bothered.
4. In which season was Wilbur born?
(a) He was born in fall.
(b) He was born in spring.
(c) He was born in winter.
(d) He was born in summer.
5. How does Fern describe Charlotte to her parents?
(a) Wilbur's best friend, who is terribly clever.
(b) A tiny spider, who is not very important compared to the other animals.
(c) A wise teacher.
(d) A creepy, bloodthirsty pest.
6. Why does everyone watch Templeton when he first approaches the goose?
(a) He is not well liked or trusted.
(b) They are afraid the goose will hurt Templeton.
(c) They are waiting for him to do something funny.
(d) He is yelling for them to watch him.
7. How is Wilbur mistaken about Charlotte at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) He thinks she is silly and beneath his notice.
(b) He thinks she is only bold and cruel, but actually she has a kind heart.
(c) He thinks he can trust her, but she will hurt and betray him.
(d) He thinks she will be able to rid the farmyard entirely of bugs.
8. What does Mr. Zuckerman instruct Lurvy to do to try to make Wilbur feel better?
(a) Take him for a walk around the barn.
(b) Give him extra-nice slops to eat.
(c) Play with him for an hour a day.
(d) Feed him sulphur and molasses.
9. What has Charlotte woven into her web?
(a) The words "SOME PIG".
(b) A picture of a first prize ribbon.
(c) The words "WILBUR'S HOME".
(d) A picture of Wilbur.
10. How does the author describe a spider's web at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) Stronger than it looks.
(b) Stringy and ugly.
(c) Made of thick, sticky cords.
(d) Easily broken.
11. Why does Fern worry about Wilbur when her father first moves him outside?
(a) She thinks he will be cold at night.
(b) She thinks he will be lonely.
(c) She thinks he will run away.
(d) She thinks other animals will bother him.
12. How does Wilbur feel at first about being outside his fence?
(a) He is so excited he decides to run all the way to Fern's house.
(b) He is terrified of the world outside.
(c) He is angry he never thought to escape before.
(d) It feels queer to have nothing between him and the open world.
13. What does Templeton take from Wilbur?
(a) His breakfast.
(b) Straw from his bed.
(c) His favorite toy.
(d) His best blanket.
14. How does Mr. Zuckerman get Wilbur to return to the pigpen?
(a) By chasing him around and around the barn.
(b) By trapping him in a net.
(c) By reasoning with him.
(d) By luring him back with a pail full of slops.
15. What does the oldest sheep say is the quickest way to ruin a friendship?
(a) Ask for too many favors.
(b) Hang around your new friend all the time.
(c) Keep borrowing things and not returning them.
(d) Wake somebody in the morning before he is ready.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Zuckermans' barn mostly smell of?
2. What does Mr. Arable say when Fern pleads with him to not kill the pig?
3. What does the old sheep say happens to young pigs around Christmas time?
4. Who is the first person to see what Charlotte has woven into her web?
5. According to the author, when is a time when it is hard to sleep?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)