|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the rain in Chapter 4 disrupt Wilbur's plans?
(a) A leaky roof makes rain drip and soak his bed.
(b) All the loudest animals are driven inside the barn by the rain.
(c) The sound of the raindrops disturbs his nap.
(d) He had wanted to go out and dig a new hole in his yard.
2. What reason does Mr. Arable give for why Fern gets to keep a pig?
(a) She was up at daylight, trying to rid the world of an injustice.
(b) Mr. Arable is trying to teach her a lesson about responsibility.
(c) It is time for her to help out around the household.
(d) He has been promising to give her a pet for a long time.
3. Why can't the goose play with Wilbur?
(a) She must sit on her eggs to keep them warm.
(b) She does not like to associate with pigs.
(c) She is busy looking after her goslings.
(d) She is busy eating lunch.
4. Before Charlotte speaks up, who is going to help Wilbur calm down after receiving the bad news?
(a) The goose.
(b) The old sheep.
5. What does Fern say at the beginning of the book that she sees no difference between?
(a) Killing a little girl and killing a little pig.
(b) Killing a spider and killing a little pig.
(c) Killing a full-grown pig and killing a little pig.
(d) Killing a calf and killing a little pig.
6. How often does Mrs. Arable say Fern goes to the barn?
(a) Once a week.
(b) Three times a day.
(c) Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
(d) Almost every afternoon.
7. What does Wilbur conclude after his adventure outside the fence?
(a) That next time he will head for the woods first.
(b) That he is miserable living at the Zuckerman farm.
(c) That tomorrow he will try to escape again.
(d) That he is really too young to go out into the world alone.
8. Who does Avery try to catch in the barn?
(a) He tries to catch Charlotte.
(b) He tries to catch his escaped pet frog.
(c) He tries to catch Wilbur.
(d) He tries to catch Templeton.
9. Which of the following is not one of the ways Fern takes care of Wilbur?
(a) Holds a bottle for him.
(b) Wipes his snout with a napkin.
(c) Ties a bib on him.
(d) Warms his milk.
10. Why is Wilbur saddened by his new friend?
(a) She doesn't like Fern.
(b) She is mean and teases him.
(c) She can't spend very much time with him.
(d) He thinks she is bloodthirsty.
11. How does Wilbur escape from the yard?
(a) By walking through an open gate.
(b) By squeezing through a loose board in the fence.
(c) By tunneling under the fence.
(d) By knocking Mr. Zuckerman over.
12. How does Mr. Zuckerman describe Charlotte's web?
(a) A miracle.
(b) A gold mine.
(c) A mess.
(d) An abomination.
13. Which of the following is not one of Wilbur's plans for the day on which Chapter 4 opens?
(b) Running around for exercise.
(c) Chatting with Templeton the rat.
(d) Standing still and thinking about what it is like to be alive.
14. What damage does Wilbur cause outside his fence?
(a) He plows up some ground with his nose.
(b) He scares a flock of chickens.
(c) He pulls Mrs. Zuckerman's hanging laundry into a mud puddle.
(d) He eats a bunch of crops.
15. What spider body part does Charlotte teach Wilbur about?
(a) The abdomen.
(b) The legs.
(c) The eyes.
(d) The fangs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old sheep say happens to young pigs around Christmas time?
2. What does Mr. Arable say when Fern pleads with him to not kill the pig?
3. What reason does the old sheep give for why the people are fattening Wilbur up?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 10, what does Charlotte tell Wilbur that people are?
5. What does Templeton take from Wilbur?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)