|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charlotte do when she speaks with the captain after the whipping?
(a) Begs for forgiveness.
(b) Offers to help clean his cut.
(c) Apologizes for hurting him.
(d) Berates him for hurting an old man.
2. What are the ladder ropes on the ship called?
(a) Sailor's nooses.
(c) Wind catchers.
(d) Spider's webs.
3. What does Zachariah say that he needs in order to confront Captain Jaggery after Charlotte's trial?
(a) Some time alone with the man.
(b) A gun.
(c) Concrete evidence against him.
(d) Support from the crew.
4. Why does Captain Jaggery stay in his cabin when Charlotte joins the crew?
(a) He can't stand to see a fine lady working.
(b) He is embarrassed by the welt on his face.
(c) He is afraid of another mutiny.
(d) He is ailing from some kind of sickness.
5. Who has been spying for Captain Jaggery since the beginning?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dies during the storm?
2. What does Captain Jaggery say is the motive for the crime he accuses her of?
3. What does Charlotte's father do with Charlotte's journal?
4. Why is Charlotte not told about Zachariah's trick?
5. Who does Captain Jaggery say will decide her fate in the trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Captain Jaggery orders Charlotte to fix a tangled sail in the bowsprit?
2. What is Keetch supposed to do to keep Captain Jaggery out of his cabin?
3. What does Charlotte do when she first sees Zachariah in the jail, and what does he say to her?
4. What is Captain Jaggery's main point against Charlotte during the trial?
5. What happens after Captain Jaggery is killed?
6. What does Zachariah say he would need in order to confront Captain Jaggery, and what is Charlotte's response to this?
7. What does Charlotte see when she is taken on deck for her trial?
8. What does Charlotte do to make her life easier during the storm?
9. What does Mr. Doyle do with Charlotte's journal, and why?
10. What does Zachariah realize when Charlotte accuses him of murdering Hollybrass?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)