|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Charlotte unable to do what she wants to do when she wakes up after her first night on the ship?
(a) The next port of call is two weeks out.
(b) The captain is busy.
(c) There is no post on the ocean.
(d) They have already set sail.
2. What causes Charlotte's candle to go out when she is looking through her chest?
(a) A sea breeze.
(b) A drip of water.
(c) Her screaming.
(d) Someone blows it out deliberately.
3. Who does the captain notice is not aboard the ship as he takes roll?
4. What does Captain Jaggery hope to find among the crew?
(a) A contract of mutiny.
(b) News of where Cranick is.
(c) A hoard of arms.
(d) A round robin.
5. How long is Charlotte sick?
(a) 5 days.
(b) 4 days.
(c) 6 days.
(d) 7 days.
6. How does Charlotte think her candle went out?
(a) Her scream.
(b) Someone blew it out.
(c) A gust of wind.
(d) A drop of water.
7. What is smiling at Charlotte in the dark?
(a) A painting.
(b) A coconut.
(c) A mannequin.
(d) A carved head.
8. What does Zachariah give Charlotte for her own safety?
(a) A gun.
(b) A sleeping drought.
(c) A knife.
(d) Some rope.
9. Who takes Charlotte to get things out of her trunk?
(a) Mr. Hollister.
(b) Mr. Brownlow.
(c) Mr. Hollybrass.
(d) Mr. Barnaby.
10. How many times does Captain Jaggery order Zachariah to be whipped?
11. Who wants Charlotte's friendship very badly?
(b) Mr. Canick.
(c) Mr. Barlow.
(d) Mr. Hollander.
12. Who is Charlotte excited to meet when she boards the ship?
(a) The captain.
(b) The priest.
(c) The servants.
(d) The other families.
13. What does Captain Jaggery ask Charlotte to do for him after her illness?
(a) Spy on the crew.
(b) Keep Zachariah quiet.
(c) Warn the crew.
(d) Stay in her room as much as possible.
14. What word does Charlotte use to describe the man who takes her to her chest?
15. Who is the first man to appear on deck?
(a) Mr. Cranick.
(b) Mr. Fisk.
(c) Mr. Keetch.
(d) Mr. Ewing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Charlotte taken after she leaves the galley after her illness?
2. What happens after Mr. Cranick is beaten on another voyage?
3. Who hits Captain Jaggery with the whip?
4. Who leads Charlotte on board the ship?
5. What is the most interesting part about the outside of the ship to Charlotte?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)