|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the most interesting part about the outside of the ship to Charlotte?
(a) The sails.
(b) The red paint.
(c) The symbol of the flag.
(d) The figurehead.
2. Where does the man who takes Charlotte to the ship have business of his own to attend to?
3. What time does Charlotte wake up when she becomes more comfortable on the ship?
(c) Many times during the night.
4. What does Charlotte use to try and defend herself in the dark cargo hold?
(a) The knife.
(b) Her parasol.
(c) A hammer.
(d) A gun.
5. Who tells Charlotte about Mr. Cranick's injury?
(b) Mr. Cranick.
(c) Captain Jaggery.
(d) Mr. Hollister.
6. What is the name of the ship Charlotte will be taking?
(d) Night Owl.
7. What does Captain Jaggery do after hearing about the planned mutiny?
(b) Concocts a plan of revenge.
(c) Peppers Charlotte with questions.
(d) Arms himself.
8. What does Zachariah say to Captain Jaggery when he is chosen to receive punishment for the mutiny?
(a) He begs him to be kind to Charlotte.
(b) Captain Jaggery is the worst captain he has even known.
(c) He was innocent.
(d) Captain Jaggery is a cruel man who will come to a cruel end.
9. How does Captain Jaggery propel the ship with no wind?
(a) A man-powered propeller.
(b) Changing course.
(d) Shifting the rudder.
10. What does Captain Jaggery read when Charlotte comes to his cabin after her illness?
(a) The Bible.
(b) Some of his own poetry.
(c) His past travel logs.
(d) A Shakespeare play.
11. What does Captain Jaggery do when confronted by the leader of the mutiny?
(a) Shoots him.
(b) Throws him overboard.
(c) Slits his throat.
(d) Punches him.
12. What word does Captain Jaggery use to describe the crew when he talks with Charlotte after her illness?
13. Who is chosen to receive punishment for the attempted mutiny?
(a) Mr. Hollybrass.
(c) Mr. Cranick.
14. Who does the captain notice is not aboard the ship as he takes roll?
15. What does Charlotte do for the men on Sundays?
(a) Teaches them about Christianity.
(b) Reads the Bible.
(c) Draws portraits.
(d) Sings hymns.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man taking Charlotte to her ship at the beginning of the book?
2. How does Charlotte think her candle went out?
3. Who takes Charlotte away from the galley when she wakes up after being sick?
4. Who confronts Charlotte before she is able to tell the captain about the unknown sailor?
5. Who does Charlotte decide to stay close to when thinking about who wants her friendship?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)