|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does an embarrassing trip take place for Wilson and Sweetums?
2. What happens to President Zia in the summer of 1988?
3. In staffing his team for this volatile part of the earth, Avrakotos insists on keeping his team ________.
4. How does the story begin to leak into the public?
5. What is significant about the honor Avrakotos gets from the agency's African-American employees?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the enormous budget for Afghanistan do for Avrakotos?
2. What happens in the summer of 1988 that affects Wilson?
3. What truce is decided upon in Geneva?
4. What happens when Avrakotos visits Wilson's office alone?
5. What do Charlie Wilson and Gust Avrakotos work out?
6. What does Vickers point out to Avrakotos?
7. What are the greatest injustices with Avrakotos' leave?
8. What does the author do in Chapter Thirty-three?
9. How does Avrakotos realize that Wilson does not have monetary interest in the deal in Egyt?
10. What does Wilson continue to do at this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Geneva, the two sides of the Afghan war reach a truce.
Part 1) How are they convinced to meet in Geneva? What role does Wilson play in this?
Part 2) What does this truce mean for each side? Are they able to keep this truce? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does this truce lead into future conflicts?
Essay Topic 2
Avrakotos works for the African division.
Part 1) Why does he begin working for the African division? How does he react to this? Why does he react this way?
Part 2) What is unfair about his change of division? What does this say about his power and influence?
Part 3) Why does Avrakotos' career end the way it does? How doe she feel about this? Why might he feel this way?
Essay Topic 3
1985 becomes a key in the war against the Soviets in Afghanistan.
Part 1) How does it become key in the war?
Part 2) What role do Avrakotos and Wilson have in the significance of this year?
Part 3) How does this year lead to later events in the book? How do the events that take place in 1985 impact us today?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)