|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Without a war to fight, what happens to Wilson?
2. Where do the two sides of the Afghan war reach a truce?
3. What would these flights also transport to the United States?
4. What serves to boost morale?
5. What happens soon after Wilson arrives home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Charlie Wilson and Gust Avrakotos work out?
2. What happens with the exit of Simpson?
3. What happens by September of 1986?
4. What happens in the summer of 1988 that affects Wilson?
5. What happens when Avrakotos visits Wilson's office alone?
6. What does Vickers point out to Avrakotos?
7. Under what department do the wars in Afghanistan and between Iran and Iraq fall? What does this agency feel about this?
8. Why does the CIA begin to worry about the mujahideen?
9. Why does Vickers worry about his plan? How is he surprised?
10. What does Chapter Twenty-eight introduce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wilson is diagnosed with an "alcoholic's heart."
Part 1) Describe this disease. How has his life, prior to this, affected his heart?
Part 2) How have other aspects of his personality affected his life at this point?
Part 3) How does this diagnosis affect him and his behavior? Is he able to overcome aspects of his personality? Why or why not?
Part 4) How does this diagnosis foreshadowed earlier in this book?
Essay Topic 2
Joanne Herring convinces President Zia to befriend Wilson.
Part 1) Why does she believe this is a good idea?
Part 2) Why does President Zia agree to befriend Wilson?
Part 3) How does this affect events that take place after their first meeting? How would history have been different if these two had never met?
Essay Topic 3
Wilson frequently gets himself into trouble.
Part 1) Describe his personality. How do his actions reflect his personality?
Part 2) How do his actions affect both his private and public life? Why does he continue these types of behaviors?
Part 3) How does his personality affect decisions he makes regarding the conflict between the Soviets and the Afghans? How do his actions affect us today?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)