|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Avrakotos receive a permanent appointment?
(a) To Ghana and the African division.
(b) To Afghanistan and the Near East division.
(c) To China and the Asian Division.
(d) To Egypt and the East African division.
2. When Avrakotos goes on record against the agency's actions, what is the outcome?
(a) He is rewarded.
(b) He is proven right.
(c) He is congratulated.
(d) He is proven wrong.
3. Why is Vickers fearful to suggest radical changes?
(a) He is not well-liked by Avrakotos.
(b) He is not sure of his suggestions.
(c) He holds too low of a rank.
(d) He is afraid to upset Avrakotos.
4. The war in Afghanistan falls under Avrakotos's department. What else falls under his department?
(a) The conflict between Iran and Iraq.
(b) The Arab-Israeli conflict.
(c) The conflict between Mutawakkilite Kingdom of Yemen and Yemen Arab Republic.
(d) Jordan-Syria tensions.
5. What serves to boost morale?
(a) A report that the Russians had moved out of Afghanistan.
(b) A report of one Afghan fighter shooting down three Russian helicopters.
(c) A report that the war in Afghanistan was waning.
(d) A report that the Americans had pulled out of Afghanistan.
6. Why does the CIA rush to get weapons in place?
(a) Before the Afghans can get revenge.
(b) Before the Russians can attack.
(c) Before the truce is broken.
(d) Before the truce goes into effect.
7. What do Charlie Wilson and Gust Avrakotos quickly work out?
(a) A way to compromise with each other.
(b) A way to play the system in both Congress and the CIA.
(c) An agreement for working with each other.
(d) A trip to Pakistan.
8. In the beginning of 1986, who takes over in Afghanistan?
(a) Mohammed Nadir Shah.
(b) Milt Bearden.
(c) Mohammed Zahir Shah.
(d) Habibullah Kalakani.
9. Why does Zia lie?
(a) Islam allows lying, especially to advance a jihad.
(b) He is not an honest man.
(c) He will do anything to get what he wants.
(d) Lying is relative.
10. What happens soon after Wilson arrives home?
(a) He becomes ill.
(b) Joanne wants to see him.
(c) He is presented an award at a dinner.
(d) A scandal breaks.
11. One colleague from the agency calls to congratulate him. What does Avrakotos realize?
(a) How much he misses his colleagues.
(b) How much he misses his job.
(c) How much he misses the United States.
(d) How much he still misses Wilson.
12. Why does Wilson enjoy the controversy in this country?
(a) It is a war he is very passionate about.
(b) He is motivated by battle.
(c) It draws attention to Afghanistan.
(d) It draws unwanted attention from Afghanistan.
13. What do Cannistraro and other conservatives continue to do, as the war in Afghanistan gains legitimacy?
(a) Badmouth the efforts in the press.
(b) Blame the liberals for the war.
(c) Make up lies to cover up the tragedies of the war.
(d) Support the war effort.
14. In staffing his team for this volatile part of the earth, Avrakotos insists on keeping his team ________.
(a) Fairly large.
(c) To himself.
15. Why does an embarrassing trip take place for Wilson and Sweetums?
(a) A strict pilot refuses to allow her on the DEA plane.
(b) Sweetums gets on the wrong plane.
(c) Wilson sneaks Sweetums onto a DEA plane.
(d) Wilson is drunk and acts inappropriately.
Short Answer Questions
1. What American Missile, made by General Dynamics in California, is introduced?
2. Of what does Russian leader Gorbachev accuse Pakistan's President Zia?
3. In that time, what does Wilson begin pursuing?
4. In demonstrations of the larger weapons, the machinery proves to be subpar. How does Avrakotos respond?
5. What does Vaughn propose regarding the Air Force?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)