|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Zia lie?
(a) Lying is relative.
(b) He is not an honest man.
(c) He will do anything to get what he wants.
(d) Islam allows lying, especially to advance a jihad.
2. Why does Wilson invite Avrakotos to Egypt?
(a) To evaluate a possible weapons deal there.
(b) To consult with the Egyptian Prime Minister.
(c) To take a short vacation from work.
(d) To meet the beautiful Egyptian women he liked to entertain.
3. Where do the two sides of the Afghan war reach a truce?
(a) In Geneva.
(b) In Paris.
(c) In Versailles.
(d) In Zurich.
4. With the exit of Simpson, who does Charlie Wilson hire?
(a) Mike Vickers.
(b) Gust Avrakotos.
(c) Joanne Herring.
(d) Charles Schnabel.
5. How does Avrkotos feel when the mujahideen manage to operate a success ambush without foreign aid?
(a) He feels hopeful.
(b) He feels angry.
(c) He feels annoyed.
(d) He feels sad.
6. What does 1984 bring Wilson?
(a) Much change.
(d) Little change.
7. With President Reagan's reelection, what happens to the political scene in Washington?
(a) It turns deadly.
(b) It turns to internal projects.
(c) It turns to foreign aid projects.
(d) It turns against Wilson.
8. How does the story begin to leak into the public?
(a) The mothers begin to talk to the press.
(b) The fathers begin to talk to the press.
(c) The soldiers who return alive go to the press.
(d) The soldiers begin returning home, many injured.
9. For what does Wilson continue to push the CIA?
(a) A secretive war effort.
(b) A bigger war effort.
(c) A smaller war effort.
(d) An end to the war.
10. What would these flights also transport to the United States?
(a) Weapons from the Middle East.
(b) Wounded mujahideen.
(c) World leaders.
(d) The leaders of Afghanistan and the Soviet Union.
11. What is significant about the honor Avrakotos gets from the agency's African-American employees?
(a) He is the first white man to receive it.
(b) He has never been rewarded before.
(c) He is the last white man to receive it.
(d) He is the first man to receive it.
12. Where does Wilson believe Gust Avrakotosto be stationed?
(a) In South America.
(b) In Asia.
(c) In Africa.
(d) In the Middle East.
13. What is Wilson's new assistant not above doing?
(a) Fighting the Afghans.
(b) Smuggling contraband items.
(c) Traveling to speaking engagements around the world.
(d) Arguing with Congress.
14. The war in Afghanistan falls under Avrakotos's department. What else falls under his department?
(a) The conflict between Mutawakkilite Kingdom of Yemen and Yemen Arab Republic.
(b) The conflict between Iran and Iraq.
(c) The Arab-Israeli conflict.
(d) Jordan-Syria tensions.
15. What do the Arabs promise Congress?
(a) To stay out of the war.
(b) To match Congress dollar for dollar in Afghanistan.
(c) To assist them in any way possible.
(d) To allow the United States the opportunity to assist in the Middle East.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Vickers leave Avrakotos and the CIA?
2. Concerning the end of the war, who does Wilson feel a need to honor and thank?
3. Why does Avrakotos take the move uncharacteristically quietly?
4. What does Vaughn propose regarding the Air Force?
5. What does the enormous budget for Afghanistan gain Avrakotos?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)