|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The tribes of Pastun and Massoud fight one another. About what do they more or less agree?
(a) To fight each other.
(b) To fight the Soviets together.
(c) To ignore the Soviets.
(d) To take opposite sides in the war.
2. Who does Avrakotos believe he must support publicly?
(a) His superior.
(d) The American people.
3. Where does he stay in this location?
(a) An elegant suite at the new Caesar's Palace.
(b) An adequate suite at the Hilton.
(c) A small room at the Holiday Inn.
(d) A dingy, dark room at a small motel.
4. Why does Avrakotos believe this about the job in Afghanistan?
(a) It is yet to be seen if Afghanistan can take care of itself without U.S. intervention.
(b) The war ended horribly, and the American people did not support it.
(c) Reporters blamed the U.S. government, includign the agency, for the poorly-handled war.
(d) Reporters gave no credit to the agency, thus proving they kept it secret enough.
5. From where does his family emigrate?
6. Why does Avrakotos believe that he stands little chance of receiving a substantial promotion?
(a) He refuses to play by the rules of his Ivy League colleagues.
(b) He has not been an agent very long.
(c) He is Greek.
(d) He is poor.
7. Why does Zia maintain that Pakistan and Israel must remain enemies to the public?
(a) Due to their different and warring religious beliefs.
(b) Due to the fame it gives them.
(c) Due to their history.
(d) Due to their close proximity.
8. About whom does the author give background information?
(a) Senator Gust Avrokotos.
(b) CIA agent Gust Avrakotos.
(c) Congressman Gust Avrakotos.
(d) FBI agent Gust Avrokotos.
9. Who does Wilson begin to woo?
(a) Doc Narrow.
(b) Doc Short.
(c) Doc Wide.
(d) Doc Long.
10. Why does Cogan drag his feet?
(a) He hopes to gain Wilson's support.
(b) He hopes to become a Congressman.
(c) He hopes the controversial Congressman will not be reelected.
(d) He hopes to become a CIA agent.
11. How do the Soviets feel about the tactics of the Afghan fighters?
12. In a discussion with the elders of the Afghan tribesmen, what does Wilson recognize?
(a) They want sympathy, not revenge.
(b) They do not want any support.
(c) They do not want sympathy, only revenge on the Soviets.
(d) They do not understand who he is.
13. When does the CIA carefully become involved with Afghanistan?
(a) When the Iraqis attack Affghanistan.
(b) When the Afghanis attack Iraq.
(c) When the Soviets attack Afghanistan.
(d) When the Afghanis attack the Soviet Union.
14. How does Wilson deal with the CIA during the first leg of the trip?
(a) He avoids them.
(b) He communicates frequently with them.
(c) He helps them.
(d) He taunts them.
15. What do these feelings of invincibility give Avrakotos?
(a) The confidence to stay in hiding.
(b) The confidence to quit the CIA.
(c) The confidence to ask for a promotion.
(d) The confidence to return to CIA headquarters.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Shannon show that she understands the secrecy of the trip keenly?
2. What does Avrakotos say makes him feel invincible and chosen?
3. After three years of the Afghan/Russian war, how many Afghans live as refugees in Pakistan?
4. Years later, the author reports, Hart fails to believe what?
5. After returning from Pakistan, with whom does Wilson meet?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)