|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other role besides Chief Cook is the President's Chief Cook said to inhabit?
2. Who is the sole subject of the Oompa-Loompas' welcome-back song upon the elevator's return to the chocolate factory?
3. To whom does Willy Wonka offer the first dose of Wonka-Vite?
4. How many years does a single pill of Wonka-Vite take off of someone's life, according to Willy Wonka?
5. How much chocolate is called for within the recipe for Wonka-Vite?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the message sent within the song that Miss Tibbs sings to the President entitled "The Nurse's Song" (62).
2. In what way does the character of Mr. Bucket undergo a major change in Chapter 15, entitled Good-bye, Georgina?
3. What is Roald Dahl's message concerning televsion audiences within the text?
4. In what way is Willy Wonka portrayed as being skillful at lying?
5. What observation does Charlie make of Willy Wonka that causes him to laugh inwardly and to wonder what is coming next?
6. How is the theme of collectivism demonstrated within Grandpa Joe's part in helping to get the Old Ones to be more lively?
7. In what way is a more tender side of Willy Wonka's character revealed within Chapter 12, entitled Back to the Chocolate Factory?
8. In what way does Charlie's reaction to Wonka-Vite differ from his father Mr. Bucket's reaction to the invention?
9. What announcement does Willy Wonka make about the value of the single bottle of Wonka-Vite?
10. What new target do the Vermicious Knids attack after trying to smash the Great Glass Elevator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
William Faulkner once famously claimed that the most important literature deals with the subject of the human heart in conflict with itself. Explain how the theme of Human versus Self is demonstrated within the novel Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. Create a decisive, arguable claim and prove it with quotes from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Explicate the theme of courage within the novel Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. What is Dahl's message regarding courage and how do you know?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Dahl utilizes symbolism within Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator.
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)