|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who plans to live with Granny when Charley leaves?
2. After Christmas dinner, Granny teaches Charley to fire what?
3. Cois McRae admits to Charley that he would have been afraid to fire what?
4. How is winter different in the mountains?
5. What does Granny receive in exchange for her skill healing the mountain people?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 14, when Granny says they must replace the rotten boards in the hen house to prevent an animal from getting in, what event does this foreshadow?
2. Who gives Charley the nickname "Charley Skedaddle"?
3. Is the mysterious stranger a deserter?
4. Who is the mysterious stranger who visits Granny in Chapter 13?
5. What mountains does Charley finally enter?
6. What is the Underground Railroad?
7. How does Charley become more mature while living with Granny Bent?
8. What is the Underground Railroad, and which characters were members of it?
9. How does the relationship between Charley and Granny change over time?
10. How does Charley get food and water the first day after the battle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Jershua Bent ("Granny") with Noreen Quinn, Charley's sister.
Part 1) How are the two characters alike?
Part 2) How are they different?
Part 3) Ultimately, which women does Charley feel closer to?
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the story, Charley fights with a rival gang member, one of the Dead Rabbits. Later, he fights with Cois McRae. Charley realizes that there are "good" fights and "bad" fights.
Part 1) Was the fight with the Dead Rabbit gang member a good fight or a bad fight. Why?
Part 2) Was the second fight with Cois McRae a good fight or a bad fight? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Part 1) Compare and contrast the personalities of Con Sullivan and Cois McRae.
Part 2) How does Charley's view of each change over time?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)