|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is winter different in the mountains?
2. How many farms did Charley see in New York City?
3. What family has feuded with Granny's clan for generations?
4. Who made the bird call sound to signal Granny in Chapter 13?
5. As a deserter, what could happen to Charley if he is caught by the Confederate Army?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which two characters were members of the Underground Railroad for 15 years?
2. Who is Thad Porter and why is he grateful to Granny?
3. What direction does Charley head, based upon advice from a Confederate officer?
4. In Chapter 13, when Charley escapes from the hen house while a mysterious stranger visits Granny, what does he do next?
5. Is "Charley Skedaddle" a compliment or an insult?
6. Is the mysterious stranger a deserter?
7. What really happened when Charley was thrown into a horrible battle?
8. What mountains does Charley finally enter?
9. How does Charley become more mature while living with Granny Bent?
10. When he was in New York, how did Charley dream of acting in battle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Jershua Bent ("Granny") with Noreen Quinn, Charley's sister.
Part 1) How are the two characters alike?
Part 2) How are they different?
Part 3) Ultimately, which women does Charley feel closer to?
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) Why did Charley think he would be good at firing a gun in battle? Did this prove to be true or not?
Part 2) When does Charley finally learn to fire a huge rifle, and how does he use it?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the story, Charley is sure that he will be able to handle a gun because he has shot toy guns at the arcade before. He is also positive that he will act heroically in battle.
Part 1) What are Charley's expectations of himself when he joins the soldiers? What is his biggest goal in joining the Union Army?
Part 2) Are drummer boy's supposed to fire weapons? Does Charely follow this rule? Why or why not?
Part 3) When Charley has to use a huge rifle to kill the panther, does he enjoy it? How does he feel about guns at the end of the story?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)