|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Granny's husband?
2. In Chapter 15, Granny and Charley travel where to help a woman prepare for childbirth?
3. In Chapter 13, what does Charley do when Granny locks him in the hen house while she has a mysterious visitor?
4. As a deserter, what could happen to Charley if he is caught by the Union Army?
5. What family has feuded with Granny's clan for generations?
Short Essay Questions
1. What former runaway slave visits Granny Bent, and why?
2. Charley pours out his story to a man on a wagon who tells him what?
3. In Chapter 14, when Granny says they must replace the rotten boards in the hen house to prevent an animal from getting in, what event does this foreshadow?
4. How does Charley change his uniform to try to disguise his identity?
5. What direction does Charley head, based upon advice from a Confederate officer?
6. What really happened when Charley was thrown into a horrible battle?
7. How does Charley become more mature while living with Granny Bent?
8. How does Charley get food and water the first day after the battle?
9. What are some of the hazards that Charley encounters as a deserter?
10. What will happen to Charley if he is captured by the Union Army?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast New York and the Blue Ridge Mountains. How are they different? What are the similarities?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Michael Demarest.
Part 1) What does he threaten to do to Charley if the boy doesn't stop fighting?
Part 2) What are Michael's motives?
Part 3) Ultimately, is Michael a good person or a bad person?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the novel Charley is sure that if he can get his hands on a gun, he will heroically kill a lot of Confederate soldiers.
Part 1) How does Charley's attitude change during the novel?
Part 2) How does Charley view heroism by the end of the story?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)