|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Granny tells the people in Hearn Hollow that she found Charley doing what?
2. As a deserter, what could happen to Charley if he is found by Southern sympathizers like Granny's neighbors?
3. In Chapter 13, what has Charley learned about the woods surrounding Granny's farm?
4. What does Granny feed Charley after they first meet?
5. Charley and Cois part as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. When he was in New York, how did Charley dream of acting in battle?
2. At the end of the story, is Charley more comfortable in the Blue Ridge Mountains or in New York?
3. What direction does Charley head, based upon advice from a Confederate officer?
4. In Chapter 13, what does it mean when Charley escapes the hen house but doesn't run away from the farm?
5. Who is Thad Porter and why is he grateful to Granny?
6. What does the word emancipated mean?
7. In Chapter 13, when Charley escapes from the hen house while a mysterious stranger visits Granny, what does he do next?
8. What former runaway slave visits Granny Bent, and why?
9. How does Charley get food and water the first day after the battle?
10. What are some of the hazards that Charley encounters as a deserter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the story, Charley fights with a rival gang member, one of the Dead Rabbits. Later, he fights with Cois McRae. Charley realizes that there are "good" fights and "bad" fights.
Part 1) Was the fight with the Dead Rabbit gang member a good fight or a bad fight. Why?
Part 2) Was the second fight with Cois McRae a good fight or a bad fight? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) Compare and contrast the personalities of Con Sullivan and Jem Miller.
Part 2) How does Charley's view of Con change over time?
Part 3) Does Charley's view of Jem change or remain the same?
Essay Topic 3
Part 1) Compare and contrast the personalities of Con Sullivan and Cois McRae.
Part 2) How does Charley's view of each change over time?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)