|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Charley tells Con that Michael has threatened to send him where?
2. After the battle, Charley is what?
3. According to Silas Gorman, do drummer boys ever fight?
4. At the end of the boat trip, an officer tells Charlie that he can be what?
5. After he joins the Union Army, what does Charley want more than anything?
Short Essay Questions
1. Can drummers be beaten or even shot for disobeying like other soldiers?
2. In Chapter 6, which soldier shouts at Charley angrily while the soldier is being punished?
3. Where there any policewomen in Charley's time?
4. What does Michael Demarest say he will do if Charley does not stop fighting?
5. Who sneaks Charley onto the soldier's boat?
6. Where do most of the soldiers get off the train?
7. Who is the solder Charley meets on board the ship, who tries to help him?
8. What does Silas have to do before he can achieve his goal?
9. In Chapter 6, what new clothes is Charley wearing and how does he feel about them?
10. In Chapter 7, how does the Confederate Army trick the Union Army at Sanders Field?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part 1) Why did Charley think he would be good at firing a gun in battle? Did this prove to be true or not?
Part 2) When does Charley finally learn to fire a huge rifle, and how does he use it?
Essay Topic 2
Charley learns who his real friends are during the story. At first, he admires Con Sullivan and considers him a good friend. Then, his opinion of Con changes. Meanwhile, Jem helps Charley a lot.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Con and Jem. Who is a better friend to Charley?
Part 2) What happens to Con and Jem in the battle with the Confederate soldiers? How does this show their true character?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the story, Charley is sure that he will be able to handle a gun because he has shot toy guns at the arcade before. He is also positive that he will act heroically in battle.
Part 1) What are Charley's expectations of himself when he joins the soldiers? What is his biggest goal in joining the Union Army?
Part 2) Are drummer boy's supposed to fire weapons? Does Charely follow this rule? Why or why not?
Part 3) When Charley has to use a huge rifle to kill the panther, does he enjoy it? How does he feel about guns at the end of the story?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)