|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charley plan to do with some of the money he earns in the Union Army?
2. What two Union generals are rumored to be at the Culpepper headquarters?
3. What do the Confederate soldiers do when they see the Union Army?
4. Who is the drummer boy always supposed to remain close to?
5. What street is Noreen's apartment on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charley do with Jem's gun during the battle?
2. What happens to Charley's drum during the battle?
3. What does Con recommend that Charley do to become a soldier.
4. Does Charley get to be a soldier when he gets to Johnny's old regiment?
5. What does Jem Miller warn Charley not to include in his letter to Noreen?
6. How much does Charley earn in the Union Army, and what does he do with the money?
7. How old is Charley really?
8. Where there any policewomen in Charley's time?
9. Where do most of the soldiers get off the train?
10. Who is the solder Charley meets on board the ship, who tries to help him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Charley expects himself to act heroically in battle.
Part 1) What are Charey's expectations about his actions in battle at the beginning of the story. Why must he act heroically?
Part 2) What actually happens when Charley is thrown into battle? What is the result?
Essay Topic 2
Charley learns who his real friends are during the story. At first, he admires Con Sullivan and considers him a good friend. Then, his opinion of Con changes. Meanwhile, Jem helps Charley a lot.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Con and Jem. Who is a better friend to Charley?
Part 2) What happens to Con and Jem in the battle with the Confederate soldiers? How does this show their true character?
Essay Topic 3
After killing the panther, does Charley feel better about his skills using a gun or his skills as a farmer? Why?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)