|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the drummer boy always supposed to remain close to?
2. Charley is thrilled to be assigned to what regiment?
3. Who is Marcus?
4. What does Charley do that first evening?
5. Jem says that other soldiers believe what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Colonel Ayers say the punishment will be for deserters?
2. What is the reason Con Sullivan gives for returning Johnny's watch to his family?
3. What does Jem Miller warn Charley not to include in his letter to Noreen?
4. Which soldier does Charley see marching in the street when he sneaks out?
5. Who is the solder Charley meets on board the ship, who tries to help him?
6. In Chapter 1, why does Charley fight the other boy?
7. Does Charley get to be a soldier when he gets to Johnny's old regiment?
8. What does incorrigible mean?
9. What is Charley's nickname for the New York City policeman who makes him stop fighting?
10. Why does Silas Gorman not want to be a drummer anymore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the story, Charley is sure that he will be able to handle a gun because he has shot toy guns at the arcade before. He is also positive that he will act heroically in battle.
Part 1) What are Charley's expectations of himself when he joins the soldiers? What is his biggest goal in joining the Union Army?
Part 2) Are drummer boy's supposed to fire weapons? Does Charely follow this rule? Why or why not?
Part 3) When Charley has to use a huge rifle to kill the panther, does he enjoy it? How does he feel about guns at the end of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast New York and the Blue Ridge Mountains. How are they different? What are the similarities?
Essay Topic 3
After killing the panther, does Charley feel better about his skills using a gun or his skills as a farmer? Why?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)