|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to a drummer who is late?
2. Which army was Charley in?
3. Who is Marcus?
4. How much do soldiers in the Union Army earn?
5. At the end of the boat trip, an officer tells Charlie that he can be what?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, which soldier shouts at Charley angrily while the soldier is being punished?
2. What does Michael Demarest say he will do if Charley does not stop fighting?
3. Which of Charley's friends is killed at Sanders Field, and how?
4. How does Con spend his time and money on board the boat?
5. Does Charley learn the drum signals slowly or quickly?
6. How much does Charley earn in the Union Army, and what does he do with the money?
7. What is the reason Con Sullivan gives for returning Johnny's watch to his family?
8. Can drummers be beaten or even shot for disobeying like other soldiers?
9. Which soldier does Charley see marching in the street when he sneaks out?
10. What does Con recommend that Charley do to become a soldier.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the novel Charley is sure that if he can get his hands on a gun, he will heroically kill a lot of Confederate soldiers.
Part 1) How does Charley's attitude change during the novel?
Part 2) How does Charley view heroism by the end of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) Why did Charley think he would be good at firing a gun in battle? Did this prove to be true or not?
Part 2) When does Charley finally learn to fire a huge rifle, and how does he use it?
Essay Topic 3
Part 1) Compare and contrast the personalities of Con Sullivan and Jem Miller.
Part 2) How does Charley's view of Con change over time?
Part 3) Does Charley's view of Jem change or remain the same?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)