|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Charley feel about shooting a gun?
(a) He likes it better than using a hammer.
(b) He likes it, but he likes throwing knives more.
(c) He does it, but he still hates it.
(d) He loves shooting guns.
2. What does Granny use to heal the mountain people?
(b) Magic beans.
(c) Magic spells.
(d) Ice water.
3. Granny points out that her husband was a carpenter who did not make what?
(a) Moonshine whiskey.
4. To save Granny, Charley must make Canaan the mule do what?
(a) Jump over a fence.
(b) Stop making loud noises.
(c) Jump on top of a log.
(d) Swim across the river.
5. Did Isaac and Granny break the law?
(a) No, brewing beer for home use is legal.
(b) Yes, it was illegal to grow corn.
(c) No, it was completely okay to help slaves take vacations.
(d) Yes, it was illegal to help escaped slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Granny plan to do with Charley after she catches him stealing her eggs?
2. How does Charley come to the farm?
3. How is winter different in the mountains?
4. What is the problem with Charley's canteen?
5. What gift does Charley give Granny?
Short Essay Questions
1. What former runaway slave visits Granny Bent, and why?
2. What mountains does Charley finally enter?
3. At the end of the story, is Charley more comfortable in the Blue Ridge Mountains or in New York?
4. Which two characters were members of the Underground Railroad for 15 years?
5. What direction does Charley head, based upon advice from a Confederate officer?
6. In Chapter 13, when Charley escapes from the hen house while a mysterious stranger visits Granny, what does he do next?
7. Who is the mysterious stranger who visits Granny in Chapter 13?
8. What will happen to Charley if he is captured by the Union Army?
9. How does Charley change his uniform to try to disguise his identity?
10. What could happen to Charley if he is captured by the Confederate Army?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)