|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift does Charley give Granny?
(a) A bowl to make snow ice cream.
(b) He doesn't give her a gift.
(c) A gun to shoot animals.
(d) A whistle so she can call him if she needs him.
2. Charley and Cois part as what?
3. What is the name of the old woman on the farm?
(a) Jershua Bent.
(b) Noreen Bent.
(c) Penelope Pringle.
(d) Granny Brown.
4. How does Charley feel about shooting a gun?
(a) He likes it better than using a hammer.
(b) He likes it, but he likes throwing knives more.
(c) He does it, but he still hates it.
(d) He loves shooting guns.
5. What does Charley have to do after the mysterious stranger's visit?
(a) Build a new hen house after the fire.
(b) Give Granny first aid.
(c) Find the Union Army.
(d) Repair the rotten boards in the hen house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Granny call the panther?
2. When Granny goes to deliver the baby, where does Charley hear the panther?
3. What does Granny mean when she says "yarbs"?
4. How does Charley come to the farm?
5. What is the name of Granny's mule?
Short Essay Questions
1. Charley pours out his story to a man on a wagon who tells him what?
2. What does the word emancipated mean?
3. Who gives Charley the nickname "Charley Skedaddle"?
4. Which two characters were members of the Underground Railroad for 15 years?
5. In Chapter 13, what does it mean when Charley escapes the hen house but doesn't run away from the farm?
6. How does Charley get food and water the first day after the battle?
7. In Chapter 13, when Charley escapes from the hen house while a mysterious stranger visits Granny, what does he do next?
8. What are some of the hazards that Charley encounters as a deserter?
9. Who is Thad Porter and why is he grateful to Granny?
10. In Chapter 14, when Granny says they must replace the rotten boards in the hen house to prevent an animal from getting in, what event does this foreshadow?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)