|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Granny caution Charley not to speak in town?
(a) So no one hears his Southern accent.
(b) So no one speaks to him.
(c) So he looks smart.
(d) So no one hears his Yankee accent.
2. What does Charley have to do after the mysterious stranger's visit?
(a) Repair the rotten boards in the hen house.
(b) Find the Union Army.
(c) Give Granny first aid.
(d) Build a new hen house after the fire.
3. What would Thad Porter have to do if he caught Charley?
(a) Shoot him because Thad is a Confederate soldier.
(b) Capture him or shoot him because Thad is a Union soldier and Charley is a deserter.
(c) Take him prisoner because Thad is a confederate soldier.
(d) Buy him a drink because Charley is a deserter from the Union army.
4. Cois McRae admits to Charley that he would have been afraid to fire what?
(a) A cap pistol.
(b) A toy gun.
(c) The big rifle.
(d) The little gun.
5. What does Granny do with Charley's canteen?
(a) She buys it from him.
(b) She buries it.
(c) She steals it.
(d) She puts it on display.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Charley give Granny?
2. What do Granny's neighbors call people from the north, especially soldiers?
3. Who made the bird call sound to signal Granny in Chapter 13?
4. What does Granny receive in exchange for her skill healing the mountain people?
5. When Granny goes to deliver the baby, where does Charley hear the panther?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 14, when Granny says they must replace the rotten boards in the hen house to prevent an animal from getting in, what event does this foreshadow?
2. How does the relationship between Charley and Granny change over time?
3. What really happened when Charley was thrown into a horrible battle?
4. Charley pours out his story to a man on a wagon who tells him what?
5. How does Charley become more mature while living with Granny Bent?
6. What is the Underground Railroad, and which characters were members of it?
7. What is the Underground Railroad?
8. The morning after the battle, Charley is forced out of his hiding place by what?
9. What does the word emancipated mean?
10. What will happen to Charley if he is captured by the Union Army?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)