|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "fall in" mean?
(a) To fall in a swimming pool and drown.
(b) To fall off a roof and break your arm.
(c) For leaves to fall in a bucket.
(d) To march behind someone.
2. Why does Charley think he knows how to fire a gun in battle?
(a) Because Johnny taught him.
(b) Because he has fired toy guns in the arcade in New York.
(c) Because Doreen taught him.
(d) Because he has watched Michael do it.
3. Where is the headquarters of the 140th regiment?
(a) In the Maryland Hotel.
(b) In Washington, D.C.
(c) In Chicago.
(d) In the Virginia Hotel.
4. On the ship, Charley notices that Con has what item that belonged to someone else?
(a) Jem's watch.
(b) Doreen's scissors.
(c) Charley's shoes.
(d) Johnny's knife.
5. In Chapter 7, what does Charley do after he finds a place to hide?
(a) He shoots more soldiers.
(b) He cries.
(c) He shouts.
(d) He goes fishing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charley do that first evening?
2. On the long march to battle, Charley becomes what?
3. The Confederate office urges Charley to run away in what direction?
4. What is Noreen's business?
5. On the train to the regiment, the men tease Charley. How old do they guess he is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Charley get to be a soldier when he gets to Johnny's old regiment?
2. What is the reason Con Sullivan gives for returning Johnny's watch to his family?
3. What does Con recommend that Charley do to become a soldier.
4. Why is Charley spooked when Silas takes him to practice near shallow Confederate graves?
5. Which soldier does Charley see marching in the street when he sneaks out?
6. In Chapter 1, why does Charley fight the other boy?
7. How old is Charley really?
8. In Chapter 6, which soldier shouts at Charley angrily while the soldier is being punished?
9. What does Charley do with Jem's gun during the battle?
10. What does Colonel Ayers say the punishment will be for deserters?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)