|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What war does Charley find himself swept into?
(a) World War I.
(b) The Civil War.
(c) The French and Indian War.
(d) World War II.
2. What does Silas Gorman want to do?
(a) Go home to Pennsylvania now that he has turned 16.
(b) Become a soldier now that he has turned 16 and is old enough.
(c) Go to Philadelphia since he is only 15.
(d) Stay a drummer boy forever.
3. At the end of the boat trip, an officer tells Charlie that he can be what?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A captain.
(c) A member of the ROTC.
(d) The regiment's new drummer boy.
4. Why does Con refuse to pay Charley's boat fare home?
(a) Because it is Tuesday.
(b) Because he is seasick.
(c) Because he has lost all his money gambling.
(d) Because he likes Charley too much.
5. Who is the second soldier that Charley meets on board?
(a) Jem Miller.
(b) Travis Brown.
(c) Purcy Murray.
(d) Austin Stephens.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his letter, Charley tells Noreen what?
2. The Confederate office urges Charley to run away in what direction?
3. On board the ship, Charley learns that you must be how old to be a soldier?
4. What other duties does Charley handle?
5. What insulting nickname does Con shout at Charley?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what new clothes is Charley wearing and how does he feel about them?
2. What does Michael Demarest say he will do if Charley does not stop fighting?
3. Why does Silas Gorman not want to be a drummer anymore?
4. Who has Johnny's knife?
5. In Chapter 7, how does the Confederate Army trick the Union Army at Sanders Field?
6. Can drummers be beaten or even shot for disobeying like other soldiers?
7. Where do most of the soldiers get off the train?
8. What does incorrigible mean?
9. Does Charley get to be a soldier when he gets to Johnny's old regiment?
10. What does Colonel Ayers say the punishment will be for deserters?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)