|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Con refuse to pay Charley's boat fare home?
(a) Because he is seasick.
(b) Because he has lost all his money gambling.
(c) Because it is Tuesday.
(d) Because he likes Charley too much.
2. After Charley is captured, where is he taken?
(a) To a Union camp.
(b) To a Confederate encampment.
(c) To a prison camp.
(d) To New York.
3. Who does Jem suggest that Charley send a letter to?
(d) Michael Demarest.
4. What other duties does Charley handle?
(a) Running errands, fetching groceries, washing dishes.
(b) Running errands, helping with maps, carrying water.
(c) None -- he has no duties.
(d) Washing dishes, peeling potatoes, polishing shoes.
5. Who is the wounded solder that Charley sees in the battle?
(a) Silas Gorman.
(b) Con Sullivan.
(c) General Grant.
(d) General Lee.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Charley's last name?
2. Silas Gorman says that Charlie has learned as much in two months as Silas learned in how long?
3. Who is Con?
4. What does Michael Demarest threaten to do with Charley?
5. Who finally gives Charley a ride on his horse when the boy is too exhausted to walk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the solder Charley meets on board the ship, who tries to help him?
2. What does Colonel Ayers say the punishment will be for deserters?
3. What does Jem Miller warn Charley not to include in his letter to Noreen?
4. Why is Charley spooked when Silas takes him to practice near shallow Confederate graves?
5. How old is Charley really?
6. Does Charley get to be a soldier when he gets to Johnny's old regiment?
7. What is Charley's nickname for the New York City policeman who makes him stop fighting?
8. What does incorrigible mean?
9. In Chapter 7, how does the Confederate Army trick the Union Army at Sanders Field?
10. Why does Silas Gorman not want to be a drummer anymore?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)