|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two Union generals are rumored to be at the Culpepper headquarters?
(a) General Grant and General Jackson.
(b) General Grant and General Jones.
(c) General Meade and General Ale.
(d) General Grant and General Meade.
2. Which army was Charley in?
(a) The Salvation Army.
(b) The Union Army.
(c) The Army Corps of Engineers.
(d) The Confederate Army.
3. Who is Noreen?
(a) Charley's aunt.
(b) Charley's sister.
(c) Charley's girlfriend.
(d) Charley's mother.
4. After he joins the Union Army, what does Charley want more than anything?
(a) To be General Grant's assistant.
(b) To go to Georgia.
(c) To be a hero like his brother Johnny.
(d) To be just like Con Sullivan.
5. What is Charley's last name?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Charley and the Union soldiers run after the Confederate soldiers, they run into what?
2. Why does Charley think he knows how to fire a gun in battle?
3. How much will Charley earn?
4. What is the nickname for a New York police officer in the novel?
5. Why does Con refuse to pay Charley's boat fare home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Charley's drum during the battle?
2. What does Jem tell Con to do on the ship?
3. In Chapter 6, which soldier shouts at Charley angrily while the soldier is being punished?
4. What does incorrigible mean?
5. What does Jem Miller warn Charley not to include in his letter to Noreen?
6. Who is the solder Charley meets on board the ship, who tries to help him?
7. What is the reason Con Sullivan gives for returning Johnny's watch to his family?
8. Who sneaks Charley onto the soldier's boat?
9. How old is Charley really?
10. Can drummers be beaten or even shot for disobeying like other soldiers?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)