|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the guard goose on the farm?
(c) Miss Marple.
2. What do Granny's neighbors call people from the north, especially soldiers?
3. Did Isaac and Granny break the law?
(a) Yes, it was illegal to grow corn.
(b) Yes, it was illegal to help escaped slaves.
(c) No, brewing beer for home use is legal.
(d) No, it was completely okay to help slaves take vacations.
4. What is the name of Granny's mule?
5. In Chapter 13, what has Charley learned about the woods surrounding Granny's farm?
(a) How to tell the time of day by the sun.
(b) That moss grows on the north side of trees.
(c) The names of every person within 1,000 miles.
(d) The names of the trees and flowers.
6. What does Granny call the panther?
(a) A "kitty.
(b) A tiger.
(c) A kitten.
(d) A "painter."
7. Why does Granny caution Charley not to speak in town?
(a) So he looks smart.
(b) So no one speaks to him.
(c) So no one hears his Southern accent.
(d) So no one hears his Yankee accent.
8. When Granny mentions the panther in Chapter 14 and it turns up in Chapter 15, that is an example of what technique?
9. In Chapter 15, Granny and Charley travel where to help a woman prepare for childbirth?
(a) The Hodder farm.
(b) Brandy Station.
(c) Hearn Hollow.
(d) The Bent farm.
10. To save Granny, Charley must make Canaan the mule do what?
(a) Jump on top of a log.
(b) Swim across the river.
(c) Jump over a fence.
(d) Stop making loud noises.
11. Charley hides in the bushes to escape what?
(a) Cannonballs on the road.
(b) Calvary passing on the road.
(c) Cowboys on the road.
(d) Potholes on the road.
12. In Chapter 13, what does Granny do when they hear a strange "bird call"?
(a) Throws Charley off the farm.
(b) Locks Charley in the hen house.
(c) Takes Charley to the movies.
(d) Locks Charley in jail.
13. What town does Granny take Charley to the store in?
(a) Hearn Hollow.
(c) New York City.
14. What was the name of Granny's husband?
15. In Chapter 13, what does Charley do when Granny locks him in the hen house while she has a mysterious visitor?
(a) He shoots the mysterious stranger.
(b) He burns the hen house down.
(c) He escapes through rotten boards.
(d) He shoots Granny.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Granny goes to deliver the baby, where does Charley hear the panther?
2. By Chapter 13, what has Charley learned about herbs?
3. In Chapter 10, did Charley plan to steal the eggs?
4. When does the panther attack Charley by jumping at him.
5. How many farms did Charley see in New York City?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)