|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 15, Charley talks to Cois McRae and Cois agrees to stop what?
(a) Climbing trees.
(b) Fighting all the new kids.
(c) Teasing Sarie.
(d) Feeding the panthers.
2. In Chapter 14, Charley is pleased at his new skills to do what?
(a) Shoot guns and dodge bullets.
(b) Use a hammer and repair the hen house.
(c) Run and fly a kite.
(d) Ice skate and ski.
3. Where does Charley find Granny?
(a) At the Hodder farm.
(b) In the hospital.
(c) In an ambulance.
(d) Beside the river near the trail.
4. In Chapter 13, what does Charley do when Granny locks him in the hen house while she has a mysterious visitor?
(a) He shoots the mysterious stranger.
(b) He burns the hen house down.
(c) He escapes through rotten boards.
(d) He shoots Granny.
5. How many children are buried in Granny's graveyard?
6. What does Granny make Charley do in return for taking her eggs?
(a) He has to shoe a horse for her.
(b) He has to sing a song for her.
(c) He has to do farm chores for her.
(d) He has to write a letter for her.
7. A man rushes past Charley shouting what?
(a) That the patrols are up ahead, searching for deserters to shoot.
(b) That the surf is up.
(c) That he is tired and thirsty.
(d) That the war is over.
8. As a deserter, what could happen to Charley if he is found by Southern sympathizers like Granny's neighbors?
(a) He could be shot or turned over to the Confederate Army.
(b) He could lose his pay.
(c) He could be sent home.
(d) He could be given a medal.
9. In Chapter 13, what does Granny do when they hear a strange "bird call"?
(a) Locks Charley in jail.
(b) Takes Charley to the movies.
(c) Locks Charley in the hen house.
(d) Throws Charley off the farm.
10. What would Thad Porter have to do if he caught Charley?
(a) Shoot him because Thad is a Confederate soldier.
(b) Capture him or shoot him because Thad is a Union soldier and Charley is a deserter.
(c) Take him prisoner because Thad is a confederate soldier.
(d) Buy him a drink because Charley is a deserter from the Union army.
11. What does Sarie give Charley in Chapter 15?
(a) A lock of her hair.
(b) A hair ribbon.
(c) A hair shirt.
(d) A padlock.
12. How are the panther's tracks distinctive?
(a) One paw has 7 toes.
(b) One paw is turned in.
(c) It wears shoes.
(d) It only has 3 paws.
13. What gift does Charley give Granny?
(a) A whistle so she can call him if she needs him.
(b) He doesn't give her a gift.
(c) A gun to shoot animals.
(d) A bowl to make snow ice cream.
14. When Granny goes to deliver the baby, where does Charley hear the panther?
(a) On top of the roof.
(b) In the forest.
(c) Inside the house.
(d) Below the basement.
15. What does Granny plan to do with Charley after she catches him stealing her eggs?
(a) Dance a jig with him.
(b) Teach him to dance.
(c) Take him for a horseback ride.
(d) Keep her eye on him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cois McRae admits to Charley that he would have been afraid to fire what?
2. How is fall different in the mountains?
3. How does Charley come to the farm?
4. Where do Charley and Granny go to have her corn ground into cornmeal?
5. Charley pours out his story to a man in a wagon, who says what?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)