|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Charley's biggest goal in joining the regiment?
(a) To make new friends.
(b) To earn a lot of money.
(c) To see new places.
(d) To act heroically like Johnny, and avenge Johnny's death.
2. What does Jem say when Charley asks if drummers ever get shot?
(a) That they are supposed to be shot.
(b) That there is no shooting in a battle.
(c) Jem refuses to answer the question.
(d) That in the heat of battle, they sometimes are shot by accident.
3. Who is the wounded solder that Charley sees in the battle?
(a) General Lee.
(b) Con Sullivan.
(c) General Grant.
(d) Silas Gorman.
4. Who is the drummer boy always supposed to remain close to?
(a) The soldiers so they can hear him.
(b) The cook so he can have dessert.
(c) The horses so he can pet them.
(d) The captain who gives the orders.
5. Who is Michael Demarest?
(a) Noreen's fiance.
(b) Charley's best friend.
(c) Noreen's brother.
(d) Noreen's father.
6. What does Charley do in the middle of the battle?
(a) He steals a horse.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He stays rooted in place until the battle is over.
(d) He flies away.
7. What does "fall in" mean?
(a) To fall off a roof and break your arm.
(b) For leaves to fall in a bucket.
(c) To march behind someone.
(d) To fall in a swimming pool and drown.
8. On the train to the regiment, the men tease Charley. How old do they guess he is?
(a) 12 years old.
(b) 5 years old.
(c) 16 years old.
(d) 9 or 10 years old.
9. Who does Jem suggest that Charley send a letter to?
(d) Michael Demarest.
10. What does Con convince Charley to do?
(a) Go back home.
(b) Run away to join the circus.
(c) Go to an orphanage.
(d) Join him on a boat with all the other soldiers.
11. The Bowery Boys take their name from what?
(a) The Bronx area of New York City.
(b) The poem "Bowery Boys."
(c) The song "Bowery Boys."
(d) The Bowery area of New York City.
12. According to Silas Gorman, do drummer boys ever fight?
(a) There are no drummer boys.
(b) They aren't supposed to and don't have guns.
(c) Yes, that is their main job.
(d) No, drummer boys are only in songs.
13. On the train to the regiment, what does one man suggest they do with Charley?
(a) Send him home to grow.
(b) Make him a junior officer.
(c) Teach him a lesson.
(d) Give him a hot air balloon.
14. Who is camped near the site where Silas Gorman and Charley practice the drums?
(a) German soldiers.
(b) Families on vacation.
(c) Indian tribes.
(d) Confederate soldiers.
15. What does Charley do that first evening?
(a) Buys his girlfriend an ice cream cone.
(b) Sneaks out and sees soldiers on parade.
(c) Takes the subway to a ballpark.
(d) Slips out and goes to the library.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the train stop to let most of the soldiers out?
2. Where does Charley see the first Confederate soldier in the battle?
3. What is Noreen's business?
4. What does Colonel Ayers says will happen to anyone who runs away during battle?
5. What does Charley suddenly realize in the middle of the battle?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)