|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Confederate soldiers do when they see the Union Army?
(a) They stop and play cards.
(b) They turn around and run away.
(c) They just stand there.
(d) They fire their guns.
2. Con says the only reason he returned Johnny's watch was why?
(a) To win friends and influence people.
(b) To meet Johnny's pretty sister, and because Con already had a watch.
(c) To be a hero.
(d) Because he was bored.
3. What does Colonel Ayers says will happen to anyone who runs away during battle?
(a) He will immediately be shot.
(b) He will be given a ticket home.
(c) He will be given a fair trial and then hung.
(d) He will be hung, but not for a few years.
4. What year is the novel set in?
5. After the battle, Charley is what?
(b) A Confederate soldier.
(c) A new man.
(d) A deserter.
6. Where does the train stop to let most of the soldiers out?
(a) Brandy Station, Virginia.
(b) Charlottesville, Virginia.
(c) Princess Ann, Maryland.
(d) Williamsburg, Virginia.
7. The area where Silas Gorman takes Charley to practice the drums is near what?
(a) Shallow graves of Japanese soldiers.
(b) Cows in a pasture.
(c) Shallow graves of Confederate soldiers.
(d) Shallow graves of Indians.
8. Con abandons Charley to do what on board the ship?
(a) Smoke and dance.
(b) Write letters home.
(c) Read and write.
(d) Drink and gamble.
9. How old is Charley at the beginning of the story?
10. When the Charley and the Union soldiers run after the Confederate soldiers, they run into what?
(a) A dead end street.
(b) The ocean.
(c) More Union soldiers.
(d) A trap where they are caught in the crossfire.
11. After Charley is captured, where is he taken?
(a) To a prison camp.
(b) To a Union camp.
(c) To a Confederate encampment.
(d) To New York.
12. Whose rifle does Charley grab during the battle?
(b) The captain's.
13. On the train to the regiment, what does one man suggest they do with Charley?
(a) Make him a junior officer.
(b) Send him home to grow.
(c) Give him a hot air balloon.
(d) Teach him a lesson.
14. What does Con convince Charley to do?
(a) Go to an orphanage.
(b) Run away to join the circus.
(c) Join him on a boat with all the other soldiers.
(d) Go back home.
15. What does Con say about his treatment of Charley?
(a) At least Con is an officer now.
(b) At least Charley is a captain in the army now.
(c) At least everyone is together.
(d) At least Con saved Charley from an orphanage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the headquarters of the 140th regiment?
2. Why did Con reenlist in the army?
3. At the end of the boat trip, an officer tells Charlie that he can be what?
4. What is Charley's biggest goal in joining the regiment?
5. Who is camped near the site where Silas Gorman and Charley practice the drums?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)