|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Silas Gorman want to do?
(a) Go home to Pennsylvania now that he has turned 16.
(b) Stay a drummer boy forever.
(c) Go to Philadelphia since he is only 15.
(d) Become a soldier now that he has turned 16 and is old enough.
2. What is Noreen's business?
(a) She sews dresses for women.
(b) She designs suits for men.
(c) She decorates hats for women.
(d) She bakes bread.
3. Before the shooting starts, what does Charlie plan to do in his first battle?
(a) Hide in the bushes.
(b) Burst out crying and get sent home.
(c) Grab someone else's rifle and fight heroically, like Johnny.
(d) Keep drumming and nothing else.
4. Who is the second soldier that Charley meets on board?
(a) Purcy Murray.
(b) Travis Brown.
(c) Jem Miller.
(d) Austin Stephens.
5. What does Charley plan to do with some of the money he earns in the Union Army?
(a) Send it to Granny Bent.
(b) Send it to Michael Demarest.
(c) Send it to his mother.
(d) Send it to Noreen.
6. Who is Michael Demarest?
(a) Noreen's brother.
(b) Charley's best friend.
(c) Noreen's fiance.
(d) Noreen's father.
7. After the battle, Charley is what?
(a) A Confederate soldier.
(b) A new man.
(d) A deserter.
8. Who captures Charley in Chapter 8?
(a) A Union soldier.
(b) A Russian soldier.
(c) A French soldier.
(d) A Confederate soldier.
9. According to Silas Gorman, do drummer boys ever fight?
(a) They aren't supposed to and don't have guns.
(b) Yes, that is their main job.
(c) There are no drummer boys.
(d) No, drummer boys are only in songs.
10. Talking to Jem before the battle, Charley says that deserters are nothing but what?
(d) Brave men.
11. Who is Con?
(a) Charley's father.
(b) A truck driver.
(c) A friend of Johnny's and fellow soldier.
(d) Noreen's fiance.
12. What does Con say about his treatment of Charley?
(a) At least Con saved Charley from an orphanage.
(b) At least Con is an officer now.
(c) At least Charley is a captain in the army now.
(d) At least everyone is together.
13. Who does Jem suggest that Charley send a letter to?
(c) Michael Demarest.
14. What insulting nickname does Con shout at Charley?
(a) Charley Skedaddle.
(b) Charley Tunafish.
(c) Prince Charles.
(d) Charley Quinn.
15. On board the ship, Charley learns that you must be how old to be a soldier?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charley suddenly realize in the middle of the battle?
2. Where is the headquarters of the 140th regiment?
3. Where does the train stop to let most of the soldiers out?
4. At the end of the boat trip, an officer tells Charlie that he can be what?
5. Jem says that other soldiers believe what?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)