|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Con refuse to pay Charley's boat fare home?
(a) Because he is seasick.
(b) Because he has lost all his money gambling.
(c) Because it is Tuesday.
(d) Because he likes Charley too much.
2. What is Charley's punishment for fighting?
(a) He must stay home that evening while the family goes on an outing.
(b) He is spanked.
(c) He must count to 200.
(d) He must mop the kitchen floor.
3. What famous Confederate leader does Charley catch a glimpse of?
(a) General Jackson.
(b) General Eisenhower.
(c) General Motors.
(d) General Lee.
4. Jem has been promoted to what rank?
5. Charley is thrilled to be assigned to what regiment?
(a) The 140th -- Johnny's old regiment.
(b) The 101st Airborne.
(c) The 222nd -- Con's regiment.
(d) The 22nd regiment.
6. Before the battle, Jem tells Charley that some soldiers believe what?
(a) That they'll die too early.
(b) That they'll never die.
(c) That three is a crowd.
(d) That they'll die when their time comes.
7. What street is Noreen's apartment on?
(a) Fifth Avenue.
(b) Crystie Street.
(c) Wall Street.
(d) Main Street.
8. Who is Marcus?
(a) A former slave who oversees meal preparations.
(b) A slave owner who is in the Union Army.
(c) A current slave who takes care of the horses.
(d) The captain of the 140th regiment.
9. Why did Jem reenlist in the army?
(a) Because he was bored at home.
(b) Because he is patriotic.
(c) For the bonus money.
(d) Because he is not married.
10. Why does Charley think he knows how to fire a gun in battle?
(a) Because Johnny taught him.
(b) Because he has watched Michael do it.
(c) Because he has fired toy guns in the arcade in New York.
(d) Because Doreen taught him.
11. What has Jem done with the money he had?
(a) Left it with his wife.
(b) Lost it all gambling.
(c) Given it to Charley.
(d) Spent it.
12. Who finally gives Charley a ride on his horse when the boy is too exhausted to walk?
(a) A Confederate general.
(b) A Union officer.
(c) General Robert E. Lee.
(d) A lady.
13. The Confederate office urges Charley to run away in what direction?
14. Where does the train stop to let most of the soldiers out?
(a) Charlottesville, Virginia.
(b) Williamsburg, Virginia.
(c) Princess Ann, Maryland.
(d) Brandy Station, Virginia.
15. Charley is almost sent to which prisoner of war camp?
Short Answer Questions
1. What New York gang does Charley belong to?
2. What happens to a drummer who is late?
3. How old is Charley at the beginning of the story?
4. Con says the only reason he returned Johnny's watch was why?
5. Who captures Charley in Chapter 8?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)