|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the battle, Charley is what?
(a) A new man.
(b) A Confederate soldier.
(c) A deserter.
2. Why did Con reenlist in the army?
(a) For the bonus money.
(b) For fun.
(c) Because he is heroic.
(d) Because he is patriotic.
3. What does Charley do in the middle of the battle?
(a) He runs away.
(b) He stays rooted in place until the battle is over.
(c) He steals a horse.
(d) He flies away.
4. On the train to the regiment, what does one man suggest they do with Charley?
(a) Teach him a lesson.
(b) Make him a junior officer.
(c) Send him home to grow.
(d) Give him a hot air balloon.
5. Who finally gives Charley a ride on his horse when the boy is too exhausted to walk?
(a) A Union officer.
(b) General Robert E. Lee.
(c) A Confederate general.
(d) A lady.
6. Before the battle, Jem tells Charley that some soldiers believe what?
(a) That three is a crowd.
(b) That they'll die too early.
(c) That they'll die when their time comes.
(d) That they'll never die.
7. What street is Noreen's apartment on?
(a) Crystie Street.
(b) Wall Street.
(c) Fifth Avenue.
(d) Main Street.
8. Who is the wounded solder that Charley sees in the battle?
(a) General Lee.
(b) Silas Gorman.
(c) Con Sullivan.
(d) General Grant.
9. Who is camped near the site where Silas Gorman and Charley practice the drums?
(a) Indian tribes.
(b) German soldiers.
(c) Families on vacation.
(d) Confederate soldiers.
10. Jem says that other soldiers believe what?
(a) That Union soldiers never die.
(b) That each battle they survive makes it less likely they will die.
(c) That soldiers never die.
(d) That each battle they survive makes it more likely they will die in the next.
11. On the train to the regiment, the men tease Charley. How old do they guess he is?
(a) 9 or 10 years old.
(b) 5 years old.
(c) 12 years old.
(d) 16 years old.
12. When the Charley and the Union soldiers run after the Confederate soldiers, they run into what?
(a) More Union soldiers.
(b) A trap where they are caught in the crossfire.
(c) A dead end street.
(d) The ocean.
13. On board the ship, Charley learns that you must be how old to be a soldier?
14. What does Charley plan to do with some of the money he earns in the Union Army?
(a) Send it to Noreen.
(b) Send it to Granny Bent.
(c) Send it to his mother.
(d) Send it to Michael Demarest.
15. One day, Charley and Silas see which soldier tied to a tree as punishment?
(a) Con Sullivan.
(b) Angus McCreedy.
(c) Jem Miller.
(d) Tom Jefferson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous Confederate leader does Charley catch a glimpse of?
2. How old is Charley at the beginning of the story?
3. Charley tells Con that Michael has threatened to send him where?
4. How much will Charley earn?
5. What is the nickname for a New York police officer in the novel?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)