|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two Union generals are rumored to be at the Culpepper headquarters?
(a) General Grant and General Jones.
(b) General Grant and General Jackson.
(c) General Grant and General Meade.
(d) General Meade and General Ale.
2. After he joins the Union Army, what does Charley want more than anything?
(a) To go to Georgia.
(b) To be just like Con Sullivan.
(c) To be a hero like his brother Johnny.
(d) To be General Grant's assistant.
3. On the train to the regiment, the men tease Charley. How old do they guess he is?
(a) 16 years old.
(b) 5 years old.
(c) 12 years old.
(d) 9 or 10 years old.
4. Who is the wounded solder that Charley sees in the battle?
(a) General Lee.
(b) General Grant.
(c) Con Sullivan.
(d) Silas Gorman.
5. Who is Con?
(a) Charley's father.
(b) A truck driver.
(c) Noreen's fiance.
(d) A friend of Johnny's and fellow soldier.
6. Whose rifle does Charley grab during the battle?
(a) The captain's.
7. At the end of the boat trip, an officer tells Charlie that he can be what?
(a) A soldier.
(b) The regiment's new drummer boy.
(c) A captain.
(d) A member of the ROTC.
8. In his letter, Charley tells Noreen what?
(a) To worry about Con.
(b) To worry about Johnny.
(c) Not to worry about him.
(d) To worry about him.
9. Before the shooting starts, what does Charlie plan to do in his first battle?
(a) Hide in the bushes.
(b) Burst out crying and get sent home.
(c) Grab someone else's rifle and fight heroically, like Johnny.
(d) Keep drumming and nothing else.
10. Where does the train stop to let most of the soldiers out?
(a) Brandy Station, Virginia.
(b) Charlottesville, Virginia.
(c) Princess Ann, Maryland.
(d) Williamsburg, Virginia.
11. Jem has been promoted to what rank?
12. Who is Noreen?
(a) Charley's aunt.
(b) Charley's sister.
(c) Charley's mother.
(d) Charley's girlfriend.
13. One day, Charley and Silas see which soldier tied to a tree as punishment?
(a) Con Sullivan.
(b) Angus McCreedy.
(c) Jem Miller.
(d) Tom Jefferson.
14. Who finally gives Charley a ride on his horse when the boy is too exhausted to walk?
(a) A lady.
(b) A Union officer.
(c) A Confederate general.
(d) General Robert E. Lee.
15. What two sides fought in the Civil War?
(a) Germany and the U.S.
(b) The U.S. and North Korea.
(c) France and Russia.
(d) The Union and the Confederacy, also called the North and the South.
Short Answer Questions
1. Con says the only reason he returned Johnny's watch was why?
2. Who does Charley meet again on the train?
3. What does Silas Gorman want to do?
4. According to Silas Gorman, do drummer boys ever fight?
5. What year is the novel set in?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)