1. In Chapter 1, why does Charley fight the other boy?
Because Charley is a member of the Bowery Boys gang, and the other boy is a member of the Dead Rabbits gang.
2. What is Charley's nickname for the New York City policeman who makes him stop fighting?
Charley calls the policeman a Metropolitan.
3. Where there any policewomen in Charley's time?
No, girls could not be police officers or do most other jobs.
4. What does Michael Demarest say he will do if Charley does not stop fighting?
Michael will put Charley in a home for incorrigible boys.
5. What does incorrigible mean?
Incorrigible means lawless and uncontrollable.
6. Which soldier does Charley see marching in the street when he sneaks out?
Charley meets Con Sullivan when he sneaks out of Noreen's apartment.
7. Who sneaks Charley onto the soldier's boat?
Con Sullivan sneaks Charley onto the soldier's boat.
This section contains 1,674 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)