Chapters 1 through 4
• Charley Quinn, 12, a member of the Bowery Boys gang, is walking home through the Bowery neighborhood in New York City in 1865.
• He encounters Tom, a member of the rival gang, the Dead Rabbits.
• Charley's older brother Johnny cannot help him because he died in the Civil War, at Gettysburg.
• Charley knows he should not get in a fight because he is wearing his best clothes and making a deliver for his sister Noreen.
• Still, Charley doesn't want to back down from a fight and be considered a coward.
• The two boys fight and Charlie is winning, although his face is bruised and his pants are dirty.
• A policeman, called a Metropolitan, breaks up the fight.
• Instead of arresting Charley, the policeman drags him home to his older sister Noreen.
• Noreen is angry that Charley has been fighting, but relieved he is not seriously injured.
• Noreen's fiance...
This section contains 2,136 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)