|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must a writer define in creative writing?
2. How does the author describe what it means to "raise the stakes"?
3. What type of physical appearance can make a character more engaging?
4. Why should sources of inspiration be altered?
5. How does Chapter 1 end?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way can the story itself provide a writer with additional characters?
2. How and why should a writer vary the names used in their stories?
3. What is writing based on "issue", and how can it be a source for characters?
4. What is the role of a major character?
5. What kind of act is writing and how does it compare to other mediums?
6. What are the two aspects of creative writing and what is the difference between them?
7. What technique does the author recommend when first introducing a character?
8. How does a writer create a strong initial impression for a character?
9. How can writers find characters within themselves?
10. What are some of the ways a reader can know a character that is well written?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the hero in fiction as it is described in the book. Explain the definition of a hero, what traits contribute to a heroic character, which situations can cause characters to reveal their heroic side, and how an ordinary person doing extraordinary things can add to the drama of a story. Include examples of literature to illustrate the way a hero can be created and developed effectively.
Essay Topic 2
According to the author, writers have a responsibility to the reader and the world around them.
1) Describe the contract that a writer has with a reader and how it affects the way a story is presented and delivered.
2) Explain writers' responsibility in observing the events that take place in their life, how receptive they should be to them, and the way the events are analyzed when writing fiction.
Essay Topic 3
Define creative writing as an art form using examples of other mediums and how they differ from writing. Also, compare and contrast the storyteller and the writer, their responsibilities, and the ways they approach the story.
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)