|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the most engaging characters reveal about themselves?
(b) A heroic side.
(c) Unknown fears.
(d) Unknown flaws.
2. What type of pain and suffering for a character causes the reader's emotional investment to expand?
3. Why should sources of inspiration be altered?
(a) To make them more mysterious.
(b) To make them more familiar.
(c) To make them more unrealistic
(d) To make them more effective.
4. What are three good example of character definition in fiction?
(a) Talents, habits, and behavior.
(b) Talents, relatives, and habits.
(c) Talents, relatives, and behavior.
(d) Relatives, habits, and behavior.
5. What kind of characterization is needed in a narrative that features the characters as the primary focus?
(a) Less detailed and simple.
(b) Detailed, but simple.
(c) Detailed and complex.
(d) Less detailed, but complex.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often are sources of inspiration altered?
2. How is the event described?
3. What does having more complex characters lead to?
4. According to the author, where do characters come from?
5. What is the first way a writer can engage the reader?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which traits will trigger dislike for a character?
2. What techniques does the author describe in Chapter 3 about characters from unrelated ideas?
3. What are some characteristics that make characters more appealing in general?
4. What kind of act is writing and how does it compare to other mediums?
5. How well do readers want to know the fictional characters they are reading about, and what is the purpose of fiction in general?
6. How can writers find characters within themselves?
7. Is it possible to use less characterization in a story?
8. How does a writer create a strong initial impression for a character?
9. How can a negative character become more intriguing?
10. In what way can the story itself provide a writer with additional characters?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)