|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 16, 17 and 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the term, "downplaying", refer to in comedy?
(a) Making less of a setback instead of more.
(b) Making more of a setback instead of less.
(c) Making less of a triumph instead of more.
(d) Making more of a triumph instead of less.
2. In Chapter 11, what does the author state makes a character believable?
(a) The illusion of truth.
(b) The allusion to truth.
(c) The absence of truth.
(d) The portrayal of truth.
3. How does the author define an idea?
(a) What the reader is not intended to understand and/or learn.
(b) What the reader is intended to understand and/or learn.
(c) What the reader is intended to learn, but not necessarily understand.
(d) What the reader is intended to understand, but not necessarily learn.
4. What type of reputation can a character have?
(a) A character should not have a reputation.
(b) One that is deserved.
(c) One that is not deserved.
(d) Deserved or not deserved.
5. According to the author, where do characters come from?
(b) They must be based on real life people.
(c) They must be purely fictional.
(d) The author's mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What balance must be met when creating an endearing character?
2. What is one of the problems with writing based on an issue?
3. Which incidents in the story must the narrator be present for in order to make a first person narrative effective?
4. Which type of narrative is most often used when writing from a Presentation perspective?
5. What is the first way a writer can engage the reader?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)