|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 16, 17 and 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author hope to give writers who read the book?
(a) A secret formula.
(b) A popular method.
(c) A specific set of instructions.
(d) A set of tools.
2. As what is the idea of hierarchy defined?
(a) A guideline to the role a character plays in the plot.
(b) A guideline to how many characters to include in a narrative.
(c) A guideline to which characters to introduce first in a narrative.
(d) A guideline to the amount of narrative each character receives.
3. How should a character's traits be designed in order to engage the reader?
(a) Different than other characters.
(b) Similar to the intended audience.
(c) Similar to other characters.
(d) Different than the intended audience.
4. What distinguishes a first person narrative from other forms?
(a) It is slightly less intimate.
(b) It is slightly more intimate.
(c) It is much more intimate.
(d) None of the answers is correct.
5. Which series of novels by Robert Parker are listed as an example of characters that are influenced to change?
(b) Sunny Randall.
(c) Jesse Stone.
(d) Philip Marlowe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the most engaging characters reveal about themselves?
2. What makes the techniques for interjecting humor even more effective?
3. What is the amount of justification proportionate to?
4. What is the author's theory about fiction in Chapter 5?
5. What will a writer discover when they take their eyes off of the main character?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)