|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13, 14 and 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not an example of a minor character's function?
(a) To offer information.
(b) To create suspense.
(c) To act as a love interest.
(d) To define the main theme.
2. What Ayn Rand book, mentioned in Chapter 12, features sympathetic characters that are not transformed, but unmasked?
(a) The Fountainhead.
(c) The Voice of Reason.
(d) We the Living.
3. What two things should a writer be open to translating into their characters and stories?
(a) Impossibility and the unknown.
(b) Possibility and insight.
(c) Impossibility and insight.
(d) Possibility and the unknown.
4. What does the author think about characters from unrelated ideas?
(a) It is both possible and interesting to put them together.
(b) It is possible to put them together, but not interesting.
(c) It would be interesting, but it is not possible to put them together.
(d) It is neither possible nor interesting to put them together.
5. Which tenses are the most commonly used?
(a) Past or future tense.
(b) Present or past tense.
(c) Present, past, or future tense.
(d) Present or future tense.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of jeopardy can a character be placed in to evoke an emotional response from the reader?
2. What do the most engaging characters reveal about themselves?
3. What determines the amount of characterization in an event?
4. What does "controlled disbelief" refer to?
5. Why does a character in a novel pursue a transformation in his/her life?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)