|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which series of novels by Robert Parker are listed as an example of characters that are influenced to change?
(a) Sunny Randall.
(c) Jesse Stone.
(d) Philip Marlowe.
2. What are the other words used by the author to describe random transformations in characters?
(a) Absurd and caused.
(b) Absurd and uncaused.
(c) Deliberate and caused.
(d) Deliberate and uncaused.
3. What do the two questions the author poses at the end of Chapter 2 add to a novel?
(a) Dramatic interest for the background of a character.
(b) Practical interest for the characters and events.
(c) Dramatic interest for the characters and events.
(d) Practical interest for the background of a character.
4. In a story where character is the primary focus, how many characters need to be fully developed?
(a) Not all of them.
(b) At least half of them.
(c) Very few of them.
(d) None of them.
5. What happens to sources of inspiration once they are incorporated into characters?
(a) They are added to or exaggerated.
(b) They are exaggerated or completely changed.
(c) They are added to, exaggerated, or completely changed.
(d) They are added to or completely changed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of story does the author use as an example of how a story can suggest characters?
2. How many of the basic elements of a narrative does milieu incorporate?
3. What kind of traits should a writer use when first introducing a character?
4. What is a writer's fundamental responsibility?
5. Which one of the following is not an example of a story where an idea is the primary narrative?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)