|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the quote that ends Chapter 3, where does the author believe a writer can find wonderful stories?
(a) No landscapes on earth.
(b) Very few landscapes on earth.
(c) Any landscape on earth.
(d) Most landscapes on earth.
2. What does the author hope to give writers who read the book?
(a) A specific set of instructions.
(b) A popular method.
(c) A secret formula.
(d) A set of tools.
3. Which one of the following is not a powerful resource for finding characters listed by the author?
(a) The writer's previous works.
(b) The writer's feelings.
(c) The writer's unrelated memories.
(d) The writer's self.
4. What place can writers use as inspiration for their characters?
(a) Observation, but not memory.
(b) Memory, but not observation.
(c) Observation and memory.
(d) Observation and another person's memory.
5. What kinds of situations can make a character more interesting?
(a) Ones that the character has been in before.
(b) Ones that the character and the reader are expecting.
(c) Ones that the reader is unaccustomed with.
(d) Ones that the character is unaccustomed with.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what is the purpose of fiction?
2. How many ways are there to know a character?
3. What technique can help avoid cliché?
4. In defining a fictional character, what causes people to behave differently?
5. What does the author think about characters from unrelated ideas?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)