|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the quote that ends Chapter 3, where does the author believe a writer can find wonderful stories?
(a) Any landscape on earth.
(b) No landscapes on earth.
(c) Most landscapes on earth.
(d) Very few landscapes on earth.
2. According to the author, where do characters come from?
(b) They must be based on real life people.
(c) They must be purely fictional.
(d) The author's mind.
3. Besides context, what else can a name provide for a character?
4. What is a writer's fundamental responsibility?
(a) To observe and analyze the world, but never to absorb it.
(b) To observe and absorb the world, but never to analyze it.
(c) To observe the world, but never to absorb nor to analyze it.
(d) To observe, absorb, and analyze the world.
5. Which one of the following is not a powerful resource for finding characters listed by the author?
(a) The writer's self.
(b) The writer's feelings.
(c) The writer's unrelated memories.
(d) The writer's previous works.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not an example of a minor character's function?
2. How often are sources of inspiration altered?
3. What does the writer use with words to achieve his/her main goals?
4. How will the story itself suggest characters?
5. Which one of the following is not an example of how to vary the names of characters to distinguish them for the reader?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)