|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a writer's fundamental responsibility?
(a) To observe and absorb the world, but never to analyze it.
(b) To observe and analyze the world, but never to absorb it.
(c) To observe the world, but never to absorb nor to analyze it.
(d) To observe, absorb, and analyze the world.
2. What must a writer define in creative writing?
(a) Tone and point of view, but not style.
(b) Style, tone, and point of view.
(c) Style and tone, but not point of view.
(d) Style and point of view, but not tone.
3. What will help a writer to maintain consistency?
(a) Not having more than four supporting characters.
(b) Keeping a list of character traits and facts.
(c) Keeping a list of character names.
(d) Not having more than three central characters.
4. What will a writer discover when they take their eyes off of the main character?
(a) Who is nearby.
(b) What is nearby.
(c) What is far away.
(d) Who is far away.
5. Why should sources of inspiration be altered?
(a) To make them more effective.
(b) To make them more familiar.
(c) To make them more unrealistic
(d) To make them more mysterious.
Short Answer Questions
1. What technique can help avoid cliché?
2. What should a writer do when adding layers to a stereotyped character?
3. What is one of the problems with writing based on an issue?
4. In the subtitle of "Characters and Viewpoint", what are the three objectives that the author promises to deliver?
5. What two things should a writer be open to translating into their characters and stories?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)