|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13, 14 and 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not an example of a minor character's function?
(a) To create suspense.
(b) To offer information.
(c) To define the main theme.
(d) To act as a love interest.
2. What does "controlled disbelief" refer to?
(a) When a character refuses to go along with something they cannot believe.
(b) When a character makes another character go along with something neither one of them believe.
(c) When a character goes along with something they cannot believe.
(d) When a character makes another character go along with something they cannot believe.
3. What is likely to cause an audience to connect with a character emotionally?
(a) Appealing characteristics and/or values.
(b) Appealing characteristics and/or thoughts.
(c) Unexplained characteristics and/or values.
(d) Unexplained characteristics and/or thoughts.
4. What is a writer's fundamental responsibility?
(a) To observe the world, but never to absorb nor to analyze it.
(b) To observe and absorb the world, but never to analyze it.
(c) To observe and analyze the world, but never to absorb it.
(d) To observe, absorb, and analyze the world.
5. What is "justification"?
(a) Presenting details around an action as it is occurring to explain that action.
(b) Presenting actions early in a narrative to explain future actions.
(c) Presenting details about a character to explain a past, present, or future event.
(d) Presenting actions at the end of a narrative to explain earlier actions.
Short Answer Questions
1. How should exaggeration be used when writing a comedy?
2. What kinds of situations can make a character more interesting?
3. Why do some readers interpret a change in a character that was not written to change?
4. On a basic level, which one of the following defines character in a narrative?
5. What type of pain and suffering for a character causes the reader's emotional investment to expand?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)