|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 10 and 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first way a writer can engage the reader?
(a) Creating a weak initial impression that improves slowly.
(b) Creating a weak initial impression that improves quickly.
(c) Creating a strong initial impression.
(d) Creating an initial impression that does not appear strong or weak at first.
2. What does the contract between an author and a reader state?
(a) That the narrative will reach a conclusion.
(b) That the narrative will introduce less characters.
(c) That the narrative will introduce more characters.
(d) That the narrative will have a happy ending.
3. What makes the techniques for interjecting humor even more effective?
(a) An emotional or logical reason.
(b) A logical or historical reason.
(c) An emotional or historical reason.
(d) An emotional, logical, or historical reason.
4. Which one of the following is not an example of a character trait that will gain an emotional connection with the reader?
(c) Positive attitude.
5. What must accompany self-sacrifice in an engaging character?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does a character in a novel pursue a transformation in his/her life?
2. How will the story itself suggest characters?
3. According to the quote that ends Chapter 3, where does the author believe a writer can find wonderful stories?
4. What does the term, "downplaying", refer to in comedy?
5. What kind of story does the author use as an example of how a story can suggest characters?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)