|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 10 and 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first way a writer can engage the reader?
(a) Creating a weak initial impression that improves slowly.
(b) Creating a strong initial impression.
(c) Creating an initial impression that does not appear strong or weak at first.
(d) Creating a weak initial impression that improves quickly.
2. In a comedy, what are the comedic interjections grounded in?
3. What does the author hope to give writers who read the book?
(a) A set of tools.
(b) A specific set of instructions.
(c) A secret formula.
(d) A popular method.
4. What type of vocabulary creates a negative response to a character?
(c) Small and underutilized.
(d) Large and overused.
5. In defining a fictional character, what causes people to behave differently?
(a) Their age.
(b) The network they are in.
(c) Their education.
(d) The society they live in.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the contract between an author and a reader state?
2. How does the author describe what it means to "raise the stakes"?
3. When is telling a story valuable to a narrative?
4. What is likely to cause an audience to connect with a character emotionally?
5. In order to avoid being boring, what does a character have to be?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)