|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides emotional, what type of attention from the reader is the goal of Chapter 7?
2. How does the author describe what it means to "raise the stakes"?
(a) Increasing what a character has lost.
(b) Increasing what a character has gained.
(c) Increasing what a character has to lose, but not to gain.
(d) Increasing what a character has to lose or gain.
3. Which one of the following triggers a negative reaction from readers?
(a) A character who is controlled by others.
(b) A character who is confusing.
(c) A character who confuses others.
(d) A character who wants power or control.
4. Which one of the following is not an example of how to vary the names of characters to distinguish them for the reader?
(b) Ending letters.
(d) Number of syllables.
5. Besides context, what else can a name provide for a character?
Short Answer Questions
1. As explained in Chapter 12, which author wrote stories that featured characters that did not change by their own motives?
2. Which one of the following is not given in Chapter 12 as a reason for characters to change themselves?
3. What reason does a character have for going through a random transformation?
4. What type of pain and suffering for a character causes the reader's emotional investment to expand?
5. What type of influences might cause a character to change?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)