|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through chapters 9-11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what company had Benoit Mandelbrot been working in economics, studying distribution of various incomes in the economy when he was invited by Houthakker to speak at Harvard?
(a) Iterated Systems Incorporated.
2. What exists when a reversible reaction ceases to change its ratio of reactants/products, but substances move between the chemicals at an equal rate, meaning there is no net change?
(a) Dynamic equilibrium.
(c) Cantor dust.
(d) Euclidean space.
3. In mathematics, what refers to a map that exhibits some sort of chaotic behavior?
(a) Space-time maps.
(b) Behavioral maps.
(c) Chaotic maps.
(d) Stability maps.
4. What studies the behavior of dynamical systems that are highly sensitive to initial conditions?
(a) Deterministic Nonperiodic Flow.
(b) Nonlinear system.
(c) Butterfly effect.
(d) Chaos theory.
5. When was Norman Packard born?
Short Answer Questions
1. What will drain rapidly from large-scale motions to small-scale motions?
2. With whom did Harry Swinney perform experiments on the onset of turbulence for water in rotating cylinders?
3. From where had Robert Stenson Shaw graduated when he arrived at the University of California at Santa Cruz?
4. What is the scientific study of the nervous system?
5. Where did J. Doyne Farmer spend most of his early life and first develop an interest in physics?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)