|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through chapters 9-11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was James Yorke born?
(a) Flagstaff, Arizona.
(b) Portland, Oregon.
(c) Plainfield, New Jersey.
(d) Cheyenne, Wyoming.
2. James Yorke realized that one of the largest problems with his work was that mathematicians and physicists were often worlds apart because they did not what?
(a) Follow the same rules.
(b) Report to work at the same time.
(c) Use the same equipment.
(d) Speak the same language.
3. What was the first major paper published in the prestigious American Journal based on the work of the Santa Cruz Chaos Cabal?
(a) "Physical Review Letters".
(b) "Fractals Everywhere".
(c) "Deterministic Nonperiodic Flow".
(d) "Period Three Implies Chaos".
4. Who is attributed with the following quote from Chapter 6, "Universality": "The iterating of these lines brings gold; the framing of this circle on the ground brings whirlwinds, tempests, thunder and lightning"?
(a) Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
(b) Dr. Faustus.
(c) Lewis F. Richardson.
(d) Mitchell Feigenbaum.
5. How old was Mitchell Feigenbaum when he was offered a post at the Los Alamos National Laboratory?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is attributed to the following quote from Chapter 10, "Inner Rhythms": "The sciences do not try to explain, they hardly even try to interpret, they mainly make models"?
2. What is a sub-discipline of fluid mechanics that deals with the natural science of fluids (liquids and gases) in motion?
3. When was Thomas S. Kuhn born?
4. When was Benoit Mandelbrot born?
5. What company was founded in New Mexico in March 1991 by J. Doyne Farmer, Norman Packard and James McGill?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)