|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through chapters 7-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Stephen Smale from?
(a) Fargo, North Dakota.
(b) Atlanta, Georgia.
(c) Flint, Michigan.
(d) Aurora, Illinois.
2. Who is attributed with the following quote from Chapter 7, "The Experimenter": "It's an experience like no other experience I can describe, the best thing that can happen to a scientist, realizing that something that's happened in his or her mind exactly corresponds to something that happens in nature"?
(a) Leo Kadanoff.
(b) Michael Barnsley.
(c) Conrad Aiken.
(d) Albert Libchaber.
3. Albert Libchaber's results in his work with helium paralleled what equation that relates the pressure, viscosity, velocity, density of a fluid?
(a) Cosmic arrhythmias.
(b) Bifurcation theory.
(c) Chaos theory.
(d) The Navier-Stokes equation.
4. In what year did Benoit Mandelbrot recognize the ghost of an idea when he spotted a diagram charted out on the blackboard in Hendrik Houthakker's office?
5. What refers to systems whose behavior is intrinsically non-deterministic?
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the subjects allowed to glance at one at a time in the experiment from the 1940s described by Gleick in Chapter 2, "Revolution"?
2. Who is attributed with the following quote in Chapter 5, "Strange Attractors": "Big whorls have little whorls which feed on their velocity, and little whorls have lesser whorls and so on to viscosity"?
3. What will drain rapidly from large-scale motions to small-scale motions?
4. What is the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language?
5. What was the profession of Benoit Mandelbrot's father?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)