|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through chapters 7-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In statistics, what refers to any statistical relationship between two random variables or two sets of data?
2. What mathematical term refers to a bifurcation in which the system switches to a new behavior with twice the period of the original system in a discrete dynamical system?
(a) Dynamic equilibrium.
(b) The Navier-Stokes equation.
(c) Period doubling bifurcation.
(d) Software visualization.
3. When was Steven Smale born?
4. What can be formed by taking a finite Cartesian product of the Cantor set with itself, making it a Cantor space?
(a) Cantor dust.
(c) Helium in a Box.
(d) Euclidean space.
5. What is defined as a mess of disorder on all scales and is not stable?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is attributed with the following quote from Chapter 8, "Images of Chaos": "What else, when chaos draws all forced inward to shape a single leaf"?
2. What is a concept in mathematics where a fixed rule describes the time dependence of a point in a geometrical space?
3. In Chapter 1, "The Butterfly Effect," the author writes, "The Butterfly Effect acquired a technical name: sensitive dependence on _____________"?
4. What were the subjects allowed to glance at one at a time in the experiment from the 1940s described by Gleick in Chapter 2, "Revolution"?
5. In control theory, a system is _____ if any of the roots of its characteristic equation has real part greater than zero.
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)