|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through chapters 7-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what institution did Albert Libchaber become a professor of physics in 1991?
(a) Harvard University.
(b) The Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
(c) Princeton University.
2. Where is Stephen Smale from?
(a) Aurora, Illinois.
(b) Atlanta, Georgia.
(c) Flint, Michigan.
(d) Fargo, North Dakota.
3. What refers to a rough or fragmented geometric shape that can be split into parts, each of which is a reduced-size copy of the whole?
4. What is the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language?
(b) Information theory.
5. In mathematics, what refers to a map that exhibits some sort of chaotic behavior?
(a) Space-time maps.
(b) Behavioral maps.
(c) Chaotic maps.
(d) Stability maps.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can be formed by taking a finite Cartesian product of the Cantor set with itself, making it a Cantor space?
2. What was the profession of Benoit Mandelbrot's mother?
3. Where is the National Weather Service headquartered?
4. Where was Gustav Mahler born?
5. Where was James Yorke born?
This section contains 196 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)