|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will drain rapidly from large-scale motions to small-scale motions?
2. Where is the National Weather Service headquartered?
(a) Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
(b) Huntsville, Alabama.
(c) Silver Spring, Maryland.
(d) Hot Springs, Arkansas.
3. What is the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language?
(b) Information theory.
4. One of the implications of what theorem is that if a continuous discrete dynamical system on the real line has a periodic point of period 3, then it must have periodic points of every other period?
(a) Skawinski's theorem.
(b) Stronghorn's theorem.
(c) Sharkovskii's theorem.
(d) Stevenson's theorem.
5. In the 1950s and 1960s what two technologies were maturing together, according to the author in Chapter 1, "The Butterfly Effect"?
(a) The space satellite and digital computer.
(b) The digital computer and television.
(c) The automobile and space stellite.
(d) The television and automobile.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a description of a system using mathematical concepts and language?
2. What refers to systems whose behavior is intrinsically non-deterministic?
3. According to Gleick in Chapter 3, "Life's Ups and Downs," what will lead to an increased, steady state in the idealized population?
4. What was the profession of Benoit Mandelbrot's mother?
5. Where was Benoit Mandelbrot born?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)