|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what institution did Thomas S. Kuhn earn his B.S., M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in physics?
(a) Loyola University.
(b) Stanford University.
(c) Princeton University.
(d) Harvard University.
2. When was Steven Smale born?
3. What does Gleick assert was the inspiration for Archimedes in Chapter 2, "Revolution"?
(a) A tree.
(b) A bathtub.
(c) A boulder.
(d) A snail.
4. In what year did Benoit Mandelbrot recognize the ghost of an idea when he spotted a diagram charted out on the blackboard in Hendrik Houthakker's office?
5. What is a description of a system using mathematical concepts and language?
(a) Fraction model.
(b) Algorithm model.
(c) Computer model.
(d) Mathematical model.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mitchell Feigenbaum attend for graduate study in electrical engineering but changed his area to physics?
2. Who said that calling the study of chaos a nonlinear science was akin to calling zoology "the study of nonelephant animals" in Chapter 3, "Life's Ups and Downs"?
3. What refers to the sensitive dependence on initial conditions; where a small change at one place in a nonlinear system can result in large differences to a later state?
4. Where was Edward Lorenz born?
5. What is defined as a mess of disorder on all scales and is not stable?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)