|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In fluid dynamics, what consists of a viscous fluid confined in the gap between two rotating cylinders?
(a) The Taylor-Couette flow.
(b) Turbulent flow.
(c) Laminar flow.
(d) Bifurcation cascade.
2. With whom did Harry Swinney perform experiments on the onset of turbulence for water in rotating cylinders?
(a) Gustav Mahler.
(b) Dr. Faustus.
(c) Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
(d) Jerry Gollub.
3. In fluid dynamics, what condition for viscous fluids states that at a solid boundary, the fluid will have zero velocity relative to the boundary?
(a) No-slip condition.
(b) Chaos theory.
(c) Period doubling bifurcation.
(d) Momentum diffusion.
4. Who is quoted in Chapter 1, "The Butterfly Effect" as saying "Physicists like to think that all you have to do is say, these are the conditions, now what happens next?"
(a) Stephen Spender.
(b) Thomas S. Kuhn.
(c) Richard Feynman.
(d) Edward Lorenz.
5. What is defined as a mess of disorder on all scales and is not stable?
Short Answer Questions
1. For what company had Benoit Mandelbrot been working in economics, studying distribution of various incomes in the economy when he was invited by Houthakker to speak at Harvard?
2. According to Gleick in Chapter 3, "Life's Ups and Downs," what will cause the idealized population to end up at the lower level?
3. What science deals with the visible, orderly outcomes of self-organization and the common principles behind similar patterns?
4. What refers to a change in the basic assumptions within the ruling theory of science?
5. Robert May, like many before him, was confused by the changes when what was increased?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)