|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 3-4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was James Yorke born?
2. In Chapter 4, "A Geometry of Nature," Houthakker explained to Mandelbrot the diagram in his office represented eight years of what?
(a) Wheat prices.
(b) Corn prices.
(c) Cotton prices.
(d) Almond prices.
3. Where was Thomas S. Kuhn born?
(a) Spearfish, South Dakota.
(b) Cincinnati, Ohio.
(c) Omaha, Nebraska.
(d) Anchorage, Alaska.
4. What is a branch of physics which employs mathematical models and abstractions of physics to rationalize, explain and predict natural phenomena?
(a) Bifurcation theory.
(b) Fluid dynamics.
(d) Theoretical physics.
5. Where was Robert May born?
(a) Tokyo, Japan.
(b) Berlin, Germany.
(c) Cairo, Egypt.
(d) Sydney, Australia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the profession of Benoit Mandelbrot's father?
2. What, according to the author, are created out of things that have come to an end?
3. Where was Hendrik Houthakker born?
4. Robert May, like many before him, was confused by the changes when what was increased?
5. In Chapter 3, "Life's Ups and Downs," Gleick writes, "In the emergence of chaos as a new science in the 1970s, _____ were destined to play a special role."
This section contains 188 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)