|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 1-2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the 1950s and 1960s what two technologies were maturing together, according to the author in Chapter 1, "The Butterfly Effect"?
(a) The digital computer and television.
(b) The automobile and space stellite.
(c) The space satellite and digital computer.
(d) The television and automobile.
2. Where was Edward Lorenz born?
(a) Bangor, Maine.
(b) Atlantic City, New Jersey.
(c) West Hartford, Connecticut.
(d) Boston, Massachusetts.
3. What refers to the sensitive dependence on initial conditions; where a small change at one place in a nonlinear system can result in large differences to a later state?
(a) Kangaroo effect.
(b) Hummingbird effect.
(c) Butterfly effect.
(d) Pufferfish effect.
4. In his paper, Kuhn argues that rival paradigms are ______, meaning that it is not possible to understand one paradigm through the conceptual framework and terminology of another rival paradigm.
5. What is a natural science concerned with the study of life and living organisms, including their structure, function, growth, origin, evolution, distribution, and taxonomy?
(a) The Navier-Stokes equation.
(b) Butterfly effect.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to a supercomputer manufacturer based in Seattle, Washington, and founded in 1972?
2. What was the name of the computer manufacturing and retail division of Royal Typewriter which made the early computers RPC 4000 and RPC 9000?
3. What was the name of Edward Lorenz's 1963 paper in Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences?
4. When was Edward Lorenz born?
5. What does Gleick assert was the inspiration for Archimedes in Chapter 2, "Revolution"?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)