|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 1-2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Edward Lorenz's 1963 paper in Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences?
(a) "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions".
(b) "Physical Review Letters".
(c) "Fractals Everywhere".
(d) "Deterministic Nonperiodic Flow".
2. What studies the behavior of dynamical systems that are highly sensitive to initial conditions?
(a) Chaos theory.
(b) Deterministic Nonperiodic Flow.
(c) Nonlinear system.
(d) Butterfly effect.
3. What refers to the sensitive dependence on initial conditions; where a small change at one place in a nonlinear system can result in large differences to a later state?
(a) Pufferfish effect.
(b) Kangaroo effect.
(c) Butterfly effect.
(d) Hummingbird effect.
4. In Chapter 2, "Revolution," the author writes, "Professional scientists, given brief, uncertain glimpses of nature's workings, are no less vulnerable to anguish and confusion when they come face to face with" _______________?
(a) "Cantor dust".
5. What controversial book did Thomas S. Kuhn publish in 1962?
(a) Period Three Implies Chaos.
(b) Fractals Everywhere.
(c) The Structure of Scientific Revolutions.
(d) Physical Review Letters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gleick assert was the inspiration for Archimedes in Chapter 2, "Revolution"?
2. Where is the National Weather Service headquartered?
3. Where was Thomas S. Kuhn born?
4. When was Edward Lorenz born?
5. What, according to the author, are created out of things that have come to an end?
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)