|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 1-2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What refers to the sensitive dependence on initial conditions; where a small change at one place in a nonlinear system can result in large differences to a later state?
(a) Pufferfish effect.
(b) Hummingbird effect.
(c) Butterfly effect.
(d) Kangaroo effect.
2. What is a natural science concerned with the study of life and living organisms, including their structure, function, growth, origin, evolution, distribution, and taxonomy?
(b) Butterfly effect.
(c) The Navier-Stokes equation.
3. What is the social science that analyzes the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services?
(a) Chaos theory.
(c) Information theory.
4. In Chapter 2, "Revolution," Gleick writes that the only problem with studying and experimenting with a new science is what?
(a) No one will understand it.
(b) It requires a new language.
(c) There are no rules.
(d) All the work is yet to be done.
5. What is the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language?
(a) Information theory.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the National Weather Service headquartered?
2. What refers to a supercomputer manufacturer based in Seattle, Washington, and founded in 1972?
3. Who is quoted in Chapter 1, "The Butterfly Effect" as saying "Physicists like to think that all you have to do is say, these are the conditions, now what happens next?"
4. From what institution did Thomas S. Kuhn earn his B.S., M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in physics?
5. What does Gleick assert was the inspiration for Archimedes in Chapter 2, "Revolution"?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)