|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 1-2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 2, "Revolution," Gleick writes that the only problem with studying and experimenting with a new science is what?
(a) There are no rules.
(b) It requires a new language.
(c) All the work is yet to be done.
(d) No one will understand it.
2. What controversial book did Thomas S. Kuhn publish in 1962?
(a) Period Three Implies Chaos.
(b) Fractals Everywhere.
(c) Physical Review Letters.
(d) The Structure of Scientific Revolutions.
3. In the 1950s and 1960s what two technologies were maturing together, according to the author in Chapter 1, "The Butterfly Effect"?
(a) The space satellite and digital computer.
(b) The digital computer and television.
(c) The automobile and space stellite.
(d) The television and automobile.
4. When was Thomas S. Kuhn born?
5. What did Foucault use as a way to demonstrate the earth's rotation, according to the author in Chapter 2, "Revolution"?
(a) A turkey baster.
(b) A softball.
(c) A six-foot wide magnifying glass.
(d) A twenty-story high pendulum.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his paper, Kuhn argues that rival paradigms are ______, meaning that it is not possible to understand one paradigm through the conceptual framework and terminology of another rival paradigm.
2. When was Edward Lorenz born?
3. What is the social science that analyzes the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services?
4. What studies the behavior of dynamical systems that are highly sensitive to initial conditions?
5. What was the name of the computer manufacturing and retail division of Royal Typewriter which made the early computers RPC 4000 and RPC 9000?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)