|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 1-2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is quoted in Chapter 1, "The Butterfly Effect" as saying "Physicists like to think that all you have to do is say, these are the conditions, now what happens next?"
(a) Thomas S. Kuhn.
(b) Edward Lorenz.
(c) Richard Feynman.
(d) Stephen Spender.
2. When was the Massachusetts Institute of Technology founded?
3. In Chapter 1, "The Butterfly Effect," the author writes, "The Butterfly Effect acquired a technical name: sensitive dependence on _____________"?
(a) "Random conditions."
(b) "Initial conditions."
(c) "Ideal conditions."
(d) "Controlled conditions."
4. Where is the National Weather Service headquartered?
(a) Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
(b) Huntsville, Alabama.
(c) Silver Spring, Maryland.
(d) Hot Springs, Arkansas.
5. What studies the behavior of dynamical systems that are highly sensitive to initial conditions?
(a) Nonlinear system.
(b) Chaos theory.
(c) Deterministic Nonperiodic Flow.
(d) Butterfly effect.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what institution did Thomas S. Kuhn earn his B.S., M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in physics?
2. Who is attributed to the following quote from Chapter 2, "Revolution": "Of course, the entire effort is to put oneself outside the ordinary range of what are called statistics"?
3. What does Gleick assert was the inspiration for Archimedes in Chapter 2, "Revolution"?
4. Where was Thomas S. Kuhn born?
5. In Chapter 2, "Revolution," Gleick writes that the only problem with studying and experimenting with a new science is what?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)