|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 3-4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. James Yorke is credited with creating what term in reference to science?
2. What is the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language?
(d) Information theory.
3. In his paper, Kuhn argues that rival paradigms are ______, meaning that it is not possible to understand one paradigm through the conceptual framework and terminology of another rival paradigm.
4. In mathematics, what is a system which does not satisfy the superposition principle, or whose output is not directly proportional to its input?
(a) Nonlinear system.
(b) Thermolinear system.
(c) Linear system.
(d) Hyperlinear system.
5. In what year did Benoit Mandelbrot recognize the ghost of an idea when he spotted a diagram charted out on the blackboard in Hendrik Houthakker's office?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Edward Lorenz born?
2. What refers to the sensitive dependence on initial conditions; where a small change at one place in a nonlinear system can result in large differences to a later state?
3. When was Robert May born?
4. What were the subjects allowed to glance at one at a time in the experiment from the 1940s described by Gleick in Chapter 2, "Revolution"?
5. What work by Edward Lorenz greatly impacted the thinking of James Yorke, as described in Chapter 3, "Life's Ups and Downs"?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)