|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 3-4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gleick assert was the inspiration for Archimedes in Chapter 2, "Revolution"?
(a) A boulder.
(b) A bathtub.
(c) A snail.
(d) A tree.
2. What is the social science that analyzes the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services?
(a) Chaos theory.
(b) Information theory.
3. The National Weather Service is one of the six scientific agencies that make up what division of the U.S. Government?
(a) The Interior Department.
(b) The U.S. Coast Guard.
(c) The U.S. Navy.
(d) The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
4. Robert May, like many before him, was confused by the changes when what was increased?
(c) A parameter.
(d) Laminar flow.
5. In Chapter 4, "A Geometry of Nature," Houthakker explained to Mandelbrot the diagram in his office represented eight years of what?
(a) Almond prices.
(b) Corn prices.
(c) Cotton prices.
(d) Wheat prices.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the profession of Benoit Mandelbrot's mother?
2. Although James Yorke was a brilliant mathematician, he often referred to himself as what?
3. From what institution did Thomas S. Kuhn earn his B.S., M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in physics?
4. When was Robert May born?
5. What is a branch of physics which employs mathematical models and abstractions of physics to rationalize, explain and predict natural phenomena?
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)