|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 3-4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What refers to the sensitive dependence on initial conditions; where a small change at one place in a nonlinear system can result in large differences to a later state?
(a) Pufferfish effect.
(b) Kangaroo effect.
(c) Hummingbird effect.
(d) Butterfly effect.
2. What is the social science that analyzes the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services?
(a) Chaos theory.
(d) Information theory.
3. In the 1950s and 1960s what two technologies were maturing together, according to the author in Chapter 1, "The Butterfly Effect"?
(a) The automobile and space stellite.
(b) The television and automobile.
(c) The space satellite and digital computer.
(d) The digital computer and television.
4. Where was Edward Lorenz born?
(a) West Hartford, Connecticut.
(b) Boston, Massachusetts.
(c) Bangor, Maine.
(d) Atlantic City, New Jersey.
5. What was the profession of Benoit Mandelbrot's mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. What, according to the author, are created out of things that have come to an end?
2. What refers to a computer program or network of computers that attempts to simulate an abstract model of a particular system?
3. Who is attributed to the following quote from Chapter 2, "Revolution": "Of course, the entire effort is to put oneself outside the ordinary range of what are called statistics"?
4. What is the mathematical study of changes in the qualitative or topological structure of a given family, such as the integral curves of a family of vector fields, and the solutions of a family of differential equations?
5. In what year did Benoit Mandelbrot recognize the ghost of an idea when he spotted a diagram charted out on the blackboard in Hendrik Houthakker's office?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)