|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was James Yorke born?
(a) Cheyenne, Wyoming.
(b) Flagstaff, Arizona.
(c) Plainfield, New Jersey.
(d) Portland, Oregon.
2. In mathematics, what refers to a map that exhibits some sort of chaotic behavior?
(a) Behavioral maps.
(b) Chaotic maps.
(c) Stability maps.
(d) Space-time maps.
3. From what institution did Harry L. Swinney earn his Ph.D.?
(a) Johns Hopkins University.
(b) The University of Illinois.
(d) The University of Bonn.
4. Who is attributed with the following quote in Chapter 4, "A Geometry of Nature": "And yet relation appears, a small relation expanding like the shade of a cloud on sand, a shape on the side of the hill"?
(a) Enrico Fermi.
(b) Wallace Stevens.
(c) Robert May.
(d) James Yorke.
5. What was the profession of Benoit Mandelbrot's mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Mitchell Feigenbaum awarded the Wolf Prize in Physics?
2. In fluid dynamics, what consists of a viscous fluid confined in the gap between two rotating cylinders?
3. James Yorke is credited with creating what term in reference to science?
4. What is defined as a mess of disorder on all scales and is not stable?
5. What is a natural science that involves the study of matter and its motion through spacetime, along with related concepts such as energy and force?
This section contains 219 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)