|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Gleick quote as saying "It does not say in the Bible that all laws of nature are expressible linearily!" in Chapter 3, "Life's Ups and Downs"?
(a) James Yorke.
(b) Enrico Fermi.
(c) Wallace Stevens.
(d) Stanislaw Ulam.
2. What refers to the spread of momentum between particles of matter, usually in the liquid state?
(a) Turbulent flow.
(b) Chaos theory.
(c) Momentum diffusion.
(d) Theoretical physics.
3. Where was Thomas S. Kuhn born?
(a) Omaha, Nebraska.
(b) Anchorage, Alaska.
(c) Spearfish, South Dakota.
(d) Cincinnati, Ohio.
4. What concept originated by Thomas S. Kuhn refers to the routine work of scientists experimenting within a paradigm, slowly accumulating detail in accord with established broad theory and not actually challenging or attempting to test the underlying assumptions of that theory?
(a) Bland science.
(b) Science of commonality.
(c) Normal science.
5. Where is the Scripps Research Institute headquartered?
(a) Tacoma, Washington.
(b) La Jolla, California.
(c) San Francisco, California.
(d) Portland, Oregon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is attributed to the following quote from Chapter 2, "Revolution": "Of course, the entire effort is to put oneself outside the ordinary range of what are called statistics"?
2. When was Edward Lorenz born?
3. What occurs when a fluid flows in parallel layers, with no disruption between the layers?
4. With whom did Harry Swinney perform experiments on the onset of turbulence for water in rotating cylinders?
5. What was the name of Edward Lorenz's 1963 paper in Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)